header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: OT - Nassar

(Read 20086 times)

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: OT - Nassar
« Reply #168 on: May 18, 2018, 12:11:03 AM »
ELA, and Medina, You each make good points.
Very wise on MSU's part to have a $75M fund for victims who have not stepped forward. I can't speak for women, but I would think I would not want my very private business published as this was for those who attended the sentencing hearings, and it would make sense that others stood back. Stepping forward, if you are interested in compensation might have appeared the wise thing to do. But this settlement probably does not penalize those who desire privacy.
Sometimes in settlements like this (for instance the 9/11/2001 fund) a special master is appointed to determine a fair settlement for each person. It is a difficult task, but I think the special master cannot let that weigh him down, because the process can be streamlined compared to a trial.

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2018, 10:26:11 AM »

Next up, Cal Berkeley 

:57:

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/05/17/claims-of-sexual-abuse-from-former-cal-student-athletes-substantiated/

After a months-long investigation sparked by a star basketball player’s allegations of sexual assault, UC-Berkeley has fired a longtime official in its athletic department for conduct involving at least seven women athletes, bringing the university’s long struggles with sexual harassment into the #metoo era.
Mohamed Muqtar, 61, who served as assistant director of student services, was let go May 11, a story first reported by ESPN. It is not clear when the university was first informed of claims against him; ESPN reported that a former Cal instructor said she had twice in the past raised concerns with the athletic department after hearing from female athletes but was told nothing could be done unless the athletes themselves came forward.
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: August 23, 2018, 11:34:45 AM »
Former gymnastics coach Kathy Klages, who told her team to not only lie, but show vocal support for Nassar, has been charged with 2 counts of lying to an officer, one a felony, one a misdemeanor, punishable by up to 6 years in jail.

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: August 23, 2018, 11:55:58 AM »
I have no use for that woman.
you said it in a much more compassionate way than I would have stated it...

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: August 23, 2018, 12:19:53 PM »
Former gymnastics coach Kathy Klages, who told her team to not only lie, but show vocal support for Nassar, has been charged with 2 counts of lying to an officer, one a felony, one a misdemeanor, punishable by up to 6 years in jail.
Six years doesn't sound like much justice for the victims but it's a start.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: August 23, 2018, 12:21:05 PM »
Also: I wasn't aware of this thread. Sorry for spoiling the MSU preseason thread with Nassar/Engler/BoT disappointments.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: August 23, 2018, 12:37:27 PM »
Six years doesn't sound like much justice for the victims but it's a start.
probably a year of probation
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: August 24, 2018, 01:40:17 PM »
Sigh. It's a small story but reminds us how openness and healing were never even on Engler's or the BoT's radar of interests.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/08/15/msu-alumni-mag-focuses-positives/987621002/
State News (MSU student paper) obtained and published a today a copy of the version that Engler killed.  Good on a bunch of 20 year olds being real journalists.  Too bad that they most likely won't get jobs in the industry, and if they do, they will be discouraged from doing things like this in favor MOAR HOT TAKES!

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: August 30, 2018, 11:30:34 AM »
FWIW, the NCAA completed its probe today for both (i) Nassar; and (ii) the ESPN article involving handling of allegations against football and basketball players, and found no NCAA violations in either case.  Not that I really expected much differently after they indirectly admitted they shouldn't have gone down that road with Penn State.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: August 30, 2018, 12:26:58 PM »
Aside from Title IX malfeasance: Just as with PSU and football, I'd argue that violations for gymnastics competitive advantage would have been legitimate (hiding an environment dangerous to the students they protect because being open would be bad for the AD and relevant sports). But that was always impossible on precedent because the NCAA didn't go after PSU for competitive advantage but for coach hero worship ... which isn't within a mile of the rule book and inevitably had to be repealed.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: August 30, 2018, 12:31:06 PM »
I think there was a definite competitive advantage to what Klages did, there was no other explanation for it.  I have to imagine having the USA Gymnastics doctor working with the team like that was certainly a selling point to recruits, not that MSU gymnastics was any good under her.  But it's not like they had a long standing relationship, where they were friends and willing to suspend belief.

rolltidefan

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2018, 12:33:23 PM »
Aside from Title IX malfeasance: Just as with PSU and football, I'd argue that violations for gymnastics competitive advantage would have been legitimate (hiding an environment dangerous to the students they protect because being open would be bad for the AD and relevant sports). But that was always impossible on precedent because the NCAA didn't go after PSU for competitive advantage but for coach hero worship ... which isn't within a mile of the rule book and inevitably had to be repealed.
i agree with this.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #180 on: August 30, 2018, 02:16:48 PM »
Also worth noting that of the three investigations (NCAA, AG, Title IX), this was always the most likely to go nowhere.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #181 on: August 30, 2018, 02:28:53 PM »
Absolutely. Though Engler has done plenty to obstruct the AG as well.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.