header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Texas vs Texas Tech

(Read 10547 times)

Shiner

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
Re: Texas vs Texas Tech
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2017, 04:12:12 PM »
Ehlinger is a true freshman who is only one year removed from being able to run and throw at will on the HS football field.  In his mind he can do anything.

Good coaching should know this.  Don't call a play if you don't want the true freshman to force it.  So while Ehlinger may have blown us up a time or two, he should never have been in the position to do so.

It's hard for me to hang too much blame on a true freshman.  Especially one who's giving his all.  Whenever possible, he has to be protected from bad decisions.  Because he will make them.  In my opinion, coaching enabled Ehlinger's immature zeal to cost us a couple of games, when it really didn't need to.
Bingo.  I mean hell... in the simplest of terms if Herman and company don't call a pass play on 3rd and 2, he doesn't throw a pick which leads to tech's game winning score.  Don't put your QB in a position to fail if you don't need to.  Run ball, win game.  That's not on the QB, that's just coaching dumbassery.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2017, 04:23:12 PM »
Ehlinger is a true freshman who is only one year removed from being able to run and throw at will on the HS football field.  In his mind he can do anything.

Good coaching should know this.  Don't call a play if you don't want the true freshman to force it.  So while Ehlinger may have blown us up a time or two, he should never have been in the position to do so.

It's hard for me to hang too much blame on a true freshman.  Especially one who's giving his all.  Whenever possible, he has to be protected from bad decisions.  Because he will make them.  In my opinion, coaching enabled Ehlinger's immature zeal to cost us a couple of games, when it really didn't need to.
Yes, obviously, but you appear to take issue with a small piece of my post which agrees with you if you read the whole thing, and in context.  

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2017, 04:36:35 PM »
Yes, obviously, but you appear to take issue with a small piece of my post which agrees with you if you read the whole thing, and in context.  
I wasn't taking issue.  I was piling on.

Shiner

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2017, 08:14:59 AM »
Sure seems to be that way.

I just don't know about what we've done....  This is a $5 million dollar job for a reason.  We've got a 30-something blowing bubble gum, sporting a baseball bat, passing the ball on 3rd and 2 while leading in the waning minutes, and incapable of saying "my bad".

Herman is the type that better start winning fast, because he has no saving graces.
Don't forget that he was crying in his postgame press conference.
My bro-in-law turned that off as he didn't want me to have the satisfaction of seeing their head coach cry on TV because... well.... he sucked at his job.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2017, 10:09:08 AM »
Don't forget that he was crying in his postgame press conference.
C'mon Shiner, he wasn't crying.  I agree he fully displayed how he's in over his head, and he really doesn't know how to handle being questioned - especially when he's the goat.  Herman has rapidly cycled from hero to zero and he can't handle the latter.

He's about 10 years too soon for this job.  So he'll either catch up while managing to win some games, or he'll be back in FCS fairly shortly.

To repeat myself, I'm not going to all out call Herman a bad hire - but without a seasoned athletic director in place, I will call it a stupid hire.

Shiner

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2017, 11:12:39 AM »
Looked like crying to me... my horn bro-in-law agreed.  But I'll let the point go from here.

Regardless..... in over his head?  Clearly.  So was Strong.  I'm wondering how many potential candidates out there wouldn't be in over their head in that job. 

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2017, 11:18:15 AM »
Regardless..... in over his head?  Clearly.  So was Strong.  I'm wondering how many potential candidates out there wouldn't be in over their head in that job.
As you accurately stated yesterday, Herman makes the right call on 3rd and 2 and we're singing his praises for producing 7 wins.  Despite some other coaching bumbles along the way... 7 wins would have cured all.

But one bumble too many.  6 wins.  We suck.  Herman sucks.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2017, 11:48:48 AM »
... as we Sooner fans bask in the glow of a great HC transition and lick our chops for more tasty Bevo-Q at next year’s state fair ...

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2017, 12:39:07 PM »
To repeat myself, I'm not going to all out call Herman a bad hire - but without a seasoned athletic director in place, I will call it a stupid hire.
To further emphasize why I say this - Herman needs someone of authority (not the media) to ask what in the holy hell was that 3rd and 2 call?

Perrin won't ask it.  Fenves is thinking why didn't we kick a free throw and score another home run?

We need an AD.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 12:42:06 PM by BrownCounty »

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2017, 10:29:51 AM »
... as we Sooner fans bask in the glow of a great HC transition and lick our chops for more tasty Bevo-Q at next year’s state fair ...
It sure is nice, Cuz.  Nice for players and recruits to have that stability as well.  

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.