header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Boomer Sooner

(Read 27814 times)

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: Boomer Sooner
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2017, 11:31:42 AM »
It sounds very pedestrian, but I can't think of any songwriters to top Lennon/McCartney.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2017, 11:47:08 AM »
When I was a yonger man, it seemed important to myself and my peers, to have mental lists up for discussion and under constant scrutiny and modifications.

What's your favorite book?  Who's your favorite author?  What are your top ten favorite movies? Who are the best songwriters?  And the ever marvelous, if you could only have one album on a deserted island, which one would it be?

Such fabulous exercises for getting to know friends better, assessing their tastes and showing off.

But as I've gotten older, I've actually become more open minded and less opionated.

I don't like the same things I liked when I was 20.  Sometimes I don't even like the same things I liked 6 months earlier.

The world is too full of possibilities to ever pin oneself down.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2017, 11:52:25 AM »
Today Sammy Cahn is my favorite songwriter.  Tomorrow it might be Khalid.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2017, 11:56:24 AM »
Wait. Did I say Sammy Cahn?  That was so 5 minutes ago.  Now, I'd swear it's Burt Bacharac.

Or Kris Kristofferson.

Or Tyler the Creator.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2017, 12:02:43 PM »
But as I've gotten older, I've actually become more open minded and less opionated.
Ok fine.  I can live with Neil Young.
But Dylan?  Nope sorry, I'm still too young, closed-minded, and opinionated.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2017, 01:00:27 PM »
My gf just got me a double-disc collection of Van Morrison.  He's always been nothing more than the "Brown Eyed Girl" guy to me.  That's unfortunate, because he's got a lot of stuff I'm just now enjoying, and I'd have to say Brown Eyed Girl is not all that indicative of the bulk of his career.  He's at the top of my current favorite singer/songwriter list.   

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2017, 02:00:25 PM »
Love Van Morrison, Into The Mystic is probably my favorite song of his.

Love Kris Kristofferson, Sunday Morning Coming Down is definitely my favorite song of his.  Johnny's version is probably the best, but I like his own version quite a bit too.

It'd be impossible for me to name even ten "favorite" Willie Nelson songs, but I will say that "Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground" is probably the most moving of them for me, time after time.

Speaking of Time After Time, anyone ever hear Willie's version of that Cyndi Lauper song?  Pretty darn good.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2017, 02:20:08 PM »
Speaking of Time After Time, anyone ever hear Willie's version of that Cyndi Lauper song?
The hell you say.  Really?...  never heard it.
Willie doing Cyndi Lauper?....   I just can't see it.  That's like Conway doing My Sharona.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2017, 02:28:23 PM »
Conway covering The Knack?   Now you're just taking crazy pills.

Seriously, Willie's version of Time After Time is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_R7KBHrkZ0
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 05:43:30 PM by Drew4UTk »

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2017, 02:29:17 PM »
Hmmm, that was supposed to be an embedded Youtube video.  

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2017, 02:30:45 PM »
Or Johnny Cash doing Nine Inch Nails.  It can't ever happen.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2017, 02:36:57 PM »
That was such an awesome version of that song.

At the time, Bono had a great quote, he said, "Trent Reznor was born to write that song, but Johnny Cash was born to sing it..."

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2017, 02:53:18 PM »
Seriously, Willie's version of Time After Time is pretty good.
Hmm, I'm not laughing at it.  Willie is Willie, he's a legend no matter what he chooses to sing.
I've always preferred Waylon when it comes to outlaw country, I'm not sure if that makes me less Texan.  Waylon's music really plugs into my life and attitude, whereas for me Willie is more just background pool-shooting music.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2017, 03:03:44 PM »
Waylon's all good, too.

They called it Outlaw country because it went against the grain of the Nashville sound, but Waylon's songs definitely also had a real "outlaw" aspect to them, that Willie's never did.

Later they started calling it "Progressive Country."  My dad was the GM at KOKE-FM at the time, and his radio station promoted all the big concerts from Willie, Waylon, Kris, Jessi Colter, Johnny Cash, and so many others.  As a little tike, I got to go backstage and meet many of those legends.  Pretty cool.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.