header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Shouldn’t there be an Astros thread here?

(Read 19253 times)

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
Re: Shouldn’t there be an Astros thread here?
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2017, 05:58:03 PM »
I'm also sorry for your loss Utee.  It's very hard to lose such a good friend, and that was a very nice tribute to him that you posted.

And also ditto what Erin said.

My sincere condolences

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2017, 06:16:48 PM »
But baseball is a nice change of pace, lovely and lyrical.  I've started hitting H-town in April to get the first taste of sports after March Madness and I've started playing fantasy baseball so I have a vested interest in following the success of players throughout the league.   Games are fun.  The history is amazing.   Hell, they've been keeping records since the Civil War and the Stros are breaking some of them this year.  

It's amazing!  I love it.  

I just had to grow into it.
  :great:

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2017, 12:58:23 AM »
I'm also sorry for your loss Utee.  It's very hard to lose such a good friend, and that was a very nice tribute to him that you posted.

And also ditto what Erin said.

My sincere condolences

Thanks Cuz, and to Erin for earlier.  I was feeling a bit melancholy last night.  Might have had something to do with the bottle (plus) of Bordeaux I drank.  Man I do love a good Bordeaux.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2017, 08:50:14 AM »
How bout them Astros
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2017, 09:28:23 AM »
the Stros bull pen was pretty solid last night
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2017, 10:20:39 AM »
We're about to all have heart attacks down here. JUST NEED 1 MORE WIN!! 

Now excuse me while I hook up my coffee-IV-drip... 

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2017, 12:01:04 PM »
What an incredible game that was yesterday.  Conventional wisdom says "good pitching beats good hitting" in the postseason, yet Game 5 turned that completely on its head.  Here on the east coast, Bregman's walk off single happened deep into the night, and I had to get up early, but nevertheless I was hanging on every pitch right up until he broke through.

Congrats to Astros fans for this thing going at least 7.  That's huge already.  As for winning the whole thing, seems tomorrow's game is everything.  I would call it an elimination game for both teams, because it would be really tough to win an away game at Dodgers stadium after having just lost game 6 with Houston's new ace on the mound.

I have no idea why I've become such a Stros fan this post-season.  They were a serious rival to my beloved Redbirds back in the 2000's and there was no love lost then, although of course I really liked a lot of Astros players - the Killer B's and particularly Lance Berkman, who later joined the Cards and played a pivotal role in St Louis winning that crazy Game 6 and the series over Texas. 

I was ambivalent about recent WS.  Last year I was just cheering against the Cubs, not really for Cleveland.  KC - I don't really care about them, one way or another.  Was tired of seeing SF win.  So, I'd have to go back to the 2013 WS with Cards and Sox to find a series where I really truly cared about the outcome. 

Guess Houston has just kind of grown on me over the years.  And it does go back.  I remember attending a Cards-Astros game in the Astrodome back in 1975, and thinking that it was SO cool to be inside a domed, air conditioned stadium like that.  And one of my uncles and his family had defected from Oklahoma to the Houston area back in the early 70s, and so we were visiting them when we went to that game.  They are all of course major Astros fans, even to this day.  So, I guess it's kind of a cousin thing ... it's like the Astros are baseball cousins.

And presently, I really like the team, particularly Jose Altuve.  If I could choose one player to have on my team, it's him.  And in fact I did - he was my first pick in my fantasy league draft last spring, and I'll try for him again next spring.  He does it all, and has a great attitude. 

Go Stros!  Get the series win!

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2017, 12:49:43 PM »
I'm really glad to hear the games are entertaining to an objective outsider because this WS is blowing my mind but I suspect my Astros fandom may cloud my impartiality.

I'll say this about the Stros...

What other team in MLB could be arbitrary plucked from one league after 40 years and tossed into the other without baseball fans everywhere screaming bloody murder.

Hence, the poor Stros are clearly the Rodney Dangerfield of professional sports.  They get NO respect... generally... though they're earning some now.

And while many respected the Bagwell Biggio teams I could never stomach the brick and black.

What kind of franchise has so little pride it would change its colors?!!!!

Now we're back to the orange and the blue and we're winning.  It's good.

I'd love to see the rainbow throwbacks.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2017, 01:08:55 PM »
If we win the WS we can boast that we beat Boston, New York and LA to do it

Thats a pretty tall accomplishment 

win the ws or not Im proud of the Astros
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2017, 01:44:29 PM »
Ya know, I really wish Bregman could've played in Omaha as well as he's played for Houston this WS.  

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2017, 02:41:20 PM »
Ya know, I really wish Bregman could've played in Omaha as well as he's played for Houston this WS.  
just a matter of priorities 

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2017, 03:24:13 PM »
Semantics

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2017, 03:28:49 PM »
I'd like to say a few words about the Dodgers.

I'm for the Astros and I hope they win and the Dodgers carry the baggage of a celebrity bandwagon and the hyperbolic west coast sports media which are both deplorable but... give them credit.

They are a hell of team and they are doing their part to make this World Series unforgettable.  They're just about as scrappy and tenacious as the Astros.   Watching the two teams go back and forth is a joy.

It's... it's... it's... delightful!

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2017, 06:30:43 PM »
is it ravishingly delightful

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.