header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Countdown to February

(Read 7779 times)

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Countdown to February
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 11:13:10 PM »
I hope some of them are off linemen
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 07:59:17 AM »
At this point, Texas is #3 and OU #7 in rivals.  

Next three big 12 teams are in the 20s.  And check out where A&M is.  Jimbo better get busy.

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2018/all-teams/football

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 08:29:10 AM »
I still suspect the SEC lure will recruit for A&M, even if the Jimbo factor doesn't.  Likely some recruits will view Jimbo as the man who has won it all, while others may view him as over the hump and just counting his money.  Either way, Aggies are still in the SEC, and that boat floats.

Shiner

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 10:36:07 AM »
Jimbo has been at A&M for all of 10 minutes.  And we still don't have a DC named yet.

I'm not too concerned with where this class ends up.  Afterall.... see Herman's class from last year.

It's NEXT year's class that will be interesting to see.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 10:39:53 AM by Shiner »

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 10:50:17 AM »
The problem with A&M, is that Jimbo has to improve upon a modicum of success.  Herman only had to improve upon Charlie Strong. (which has happened but is largely intangible thus far)

If Jimbo does worse than Sumlin in his first year, the road won't get any easier.  These are not your Aggies of yesteryear.  These are entitled t-sips wearing maroon.

Aggies are in a dangerous situation.  Sumlin did not SUCK as a coach.  Just like when we canned Mack, the roof fell in because the next coach couldn't get Mack's unacceptable 8 wins.  If Jimbo doesn't at least match Sumlin's output right out of the box, then there will be tremors underneath the bonfire.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 11:50:13 AM »
Not at all surprised to see us recruiting well

TH's rep was that he is a hell of a great recruiter

Now if we can just figure out what to do with them
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 12:19:04 PM »
I'm not much into recruiting.  Two of OU's three unanimous AA's weren't recruited at all.  Mayfield wound up as a Heismann winner and maybe the CFB GOAT QB.  Brown was given a scholarship as a favor after Tennessee pulled their offer.
That said, last year's class contributed heavily to this season and this class looks like it might as well.  My concern is that I don't see a replacement for Dimitri Flowers on the roster or in this recruiting class but Riley didn't use HBacks in his offense prior to coming to OU so the scheme may change.  All those seasons of Trey Millard and Dimitri have spoiled me.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 12:26:18 PM »
I'm not much into recruiting.  Two of OU's three unanimous AA's weren't recruited at all.  Mayfield wound up as a Heismann winner and maybe the CFB GOAT QB.  Brown was given a scholarship as a favor after Tennessee pulled their offer.
I understand what you are saying, and I normally don't pay much attention to recruiting either.  But when you're Texas right now you're looking for anything you can grab onto, so I'm on the recruiting choo-choo since things aren't looking too bad.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 12:30:03 PM »
I understand what you are saying, and I normally don't pay much attention to recruiting either.  But when you're Texas right now you're looking for anything you can grab onto, so I'm on the recruiting choo-choo since things aren't looking too bad.
For sure, I'd rather have a recruiting class full of top talent, than not.  Beyond that, though, it's pretty meaningless.  I'll be much more interested in what the staff is able to have ALL the players doing by next September.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 12:36:50 PM »
TH's rep was that he is a hell of a great recruiter

Now if we can just figure out what to do with them
I think it would be fairly safe to say that the players that came to play for Charlie were exactly that - they came to play for Charlie.

Many on here disagree, but I believe TH has had a tough go inheriting this program.  The loyalty to Charlie is hard to get around, the depth of talent is curb deep, and it's all resulted in a silk purse, sow's ear situation.

I don't for a moment believe that TH thinks he has the players here.  Quite the contrary.  I've heard he is aggressively recruiting for starters, not understudies - and he is not bashful about proclaiming this to recruits.

TH wants *his* team - his ego demands it, but so does the situation he inherited.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 12:39:30 PM by BrownCounty »

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 12:52:06 PM »
Texas has always recruited well and usually has a deep bench of really good players.  That has made them hard to beat, even when their coaching has been a mess and/or when their game plans have been clunky and predictable.

So I can’t agree that it isn’t that important.  It is.  Obviously there are other important factors too in putting together championship seasons, but regardless Texas nearly always has that high quality TALENT on the field.

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 01:50:23 PM »
What's UT's/TH's problem in recruiting trench ponies this year?

Gotta have trench ponies.  You can't play 11 5-star DBs at the same time.
Play Like a Champion Today

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 02:05:18 PM »
Oh, I think recruiting is very important, I just don't follow it that much.  I don't put as much stock in recruiting services rankings as I do coaches evaluations so I just wait to see what develops.  In general, I am more interested in the linemen and it is often hard to know how they are going to grow and develop.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.