header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: CFB 51 Cookbook, equipment discussion, techniques

(Read 139300 times)

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
I have a method that I use and it always turns out very tasty and tender.

Texans would not approve, but they ain't eating it anyway. I am, and I approve.

I start on my Weber kettle, using indirect heat and a lot of wood for the smoke. I let this go for about 2-3 hours until there is no more smoke, and then finish it in the oven. No, you don't get the same bark, but the bite is really good. Every one of them.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
that ecoque gen 2 i landed does a great job and takes much of the mystery out of smoking (this far). 

i smoked a 18# rib eye roast last weekend.  took it to 120* over about 5.5~6 hours.  the heat of the smoker never broke 240, and the meat took a slow steady climb to temp.  i killed much of the smoke at a meat temperature of 100, and let her stand wrapped in foil and a towel, and in a cooler for about an hour.  

the bark was perfect and the smoke ring well defined.  i used hickory.  i couldn't be happier than i was- unless i can complain about pulling it too late.  it was a little past medium rare.  we had sandwiches, then big cuts, then quesadillas, then i just stripped several cuts and made finger bites... and of course an omelet or two... i was very pleased. 

this weekend i'm going to try ribs in that thing... pork ribs... 

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
How'd the pork turn out?
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
i did pork ribs and a whole chicken yesterday, and Saturday night i tried out the pizza oven... 

the ribs were superb... the chicken was okay (not really a chicken fan) but the texture was.... different.. pulled it at 165* internal and tossed it on grill with full out flames on it for a few minutes to do whatever it is that does to the skin to make it edible... i was really happy with those ribs, though. 

the pizza turned out pretty good!!! i've got that griddle, and prepared some italian sausage on it, along with some andolini sliced like pepperoni, and peppers and onions... i used some Pillsbury pizza dough instead of making my own and cooked it for 5 minutes @ 475* and pulled it... dressed it with sauce (wife's recipe from garden) light layer of mozzarella, a pile of fixin's, more moz, then pepperoni and andolini..... another five minutes... those things were fantastic too... 

I got that ecoque from amazon for $2600 and i was worried it wouldn't work out, but... it has and it will.  I have yet another rib eye roast i'll smoke over the 4th, and a couple other cuts i'll be doing over the summer.  

i HIGHLY rec that thing.   

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
question:

regarding 8 inch and 10 inch teflon fry pans or other teflon cooking pans

what's the sweet spot for price?  I see pans for $20 and pans for $180

Cincy says I can buy good wine for $30/bottle

in the past I've gone with the cheaper pans and considered them disposable after 5 years or so
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
personally, i'd stay clear of teflon anything- a good stainless or better yet cast iron is the way to go.  will last forever.  teflon won't and it's but one mistake from being worthless. 

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
I have and use Cast Iron - skillets and dutch oven

I like the non-stick surfaces for eggs and other quick easy items - convenience
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Those copper looking thingees are getting a lot of positive play lately. My brother likes his.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
saw those in the store for big dollars - was wondering if they are worth it

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
I'm talking about the ones available from copper chef and others like it.

$20...
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
yeah those hand peened copper sets are unbelievably expensive... but are heirloom quality. 

the copper bottomed ones are realistic... and i wager just as good for cookin'... 

a well seasoned cast won't stick.. I roll fried eggs right out of mine.  for a store bought ready non-stick, the ceramic coated ones are far better than teflon, but you gotta properly care for them, and a good scratch or two is going to wreck them (just like with teflon), but unlike teflon, you can cook things with oils in them without ruining them.  

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
  for a store bought ready non-stick, the ceramic coated ones are far better than teflon, but you gotta properly care for them, and a good scratch or two is going to wreck them (just like with teflon), but unlike teflon, you can cook things with oils in them without ruining them.  
thanks, I'll try this

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
11# brisket today... Started at around noon.  Its a quarter after 2200 now, and its jist coming out of the stall... I'm guessing two more hours or so... I didnt do the texas cheat, but just waited it out.  

Cowboy beans are waiting as a side... Spiced them up with some ground north country venison and concoction of spices that are proprietary... 

Seriously... The wait is killing me!!!! A little sliver fell off when I rotated it at 170.,, it was fantastic!!! 

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Brisket turned out really freakin good. I'm telling y'all this smoker oven thing is the ticket.  Was a bit shocked how much was lost during the cook, though.. It started out 11# but I bet it only rendered 6 or 7.... Those things shrink quite a bit, huh? 

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.