header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2018-2019 B1G Basketball Thread

(Read 144601 times)

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: 2018-2019 B1G Basketball Thread
« Reply #868 on: January 17, 2019, 10:07:45 AM »
I don't.  It used to be clear weeknights were T-R, weekends were Saturday and occasionally Sunday.  So you'd play once each, with your allotted bye weeks.  Now I'm not sure how they do it.  MSU plays Thursday, but not at all all weekend, then 3 times next week.  I'm guessing Monday's game against Maryland counts as a weekend game?  Who knows.
As a fan who lives ~2 hours from campus and likes to usually go to 2-3 games per season I hate it.  Weeknight games are difficult for me.  If it is a 6:30 or 7pm game I can't make it without taking some time off work and then it is a LONG evening:
  • Leave work at ~3:30
  • Go home and change then drive ~2 hours to campus
  • Watch game from 6:30 or 7 to about 8:30 or 9
  • Have dinner and drive ~2 hours home plus traffic
  • Get home at 1am
If it is an 8pm game I can make it without time off work but it is VERY rushed and then I end up home even later.  

I strongly prefer weekend games.  Going to campus on a Saturday for a game is much easier and more relaxed.  

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #869 on: January 17, 2019, 10:20:07 AM »
that's my situation

a little over 2 hours from Pinnacle Bank

my daughter does live in Lincoln, so I can sleep on her couch after a late game, but then getting to work by 7:30am is tough the next morning
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #870 on: January 17, 2019, 10:44:47 AM »
that's my situation

a little over 2 hours from Pinnacle Bank

my daughter does live in Lincoln, so I can sleep on her couch after a late game, but then getting to work by 7:30am is tough the next morning
I don't have anywhere to crash near campus but I could get a hotel.  Even if I did have a place to crash or get a hotel it doesn't really help with getting to work the next day.  The way I see it, between the end of the game and work the next morning I have to drive the ~2 hours.  I'd rather drive it that night, sleep in my own bed, and shower in my own bathroom than to go to bed earlier but then need to get up and ~4am in order to have time to get a shower and drive ~2 hours to work.  
Ohio State typically has package deals where you pick two games from the "crap game" list (they don't call it that, but it is) and two games from the "good games" list.  In the past I did that if I could find four weekend games.  That has gotten tougher because they are playing less of them now.  

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #871 on: January 17, 2019, 10:45:57 AM »
Completely impossible for me to get to any weekday games in Madison. Especially this time of year, with unknown weather.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

mcwterps1

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #872 on: January 17, 2019, 11:00:31 AM »
Free throws. The Badgers used to pride themselves on making more than their opponents even shot. That's long gone with this group. Hell, on Monday Maryland took 29* and made 24. UW took 6 and made 3. Ballgame.
* Refs were out to get Maryland, clearly. :67:
They tried flopping, but it didn't work.
Was quite surprised to see how undisciplined Wiscy was.

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #873 on: January 17, 2019, 11:20:02 AM »
Free throws. The Badgers used to pride themselves on making more than their opponents even shot. That's long gone with this group. Hell, on Monday Maryland took 29* and made 24. UW took 6 and made 3. Ballgame.
* Refs were out to get Maryland, clearly. :67:
That goal was always, to a degree, overstated. UW only pulled it off for a season six times. Twice was the two final four teams, and that was mostly because of excellent FT shooting and not fouling.
There’s three controlable parts to that.
1. Fouling
2. Getting to the line
3. Shooting
1. UW is good, 52nd in the country, though admittedly less great than many Bo teams.
2. UW free throw shooting is atrocious, mostly owing to Happ head case issues and odd Trice and Davison struggles (kinda Nate too).
3. UW isn’t getting to the line because Happ isn’t trying to as hard because he’s spraying free throws all over. And I don’t know how you fix it that. Happ is an a-typical Badger, and despite being good, is in his own damn head on these FTs.

(It’s also worth noting the free throw thing is not a good way to live in the post season, when calls turn more toward highly talented players and shooting is more key)

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #874 on: January 17, 2019, 03:05:57 PM »
ON February 4, 2017, after back to back losses to MSU and OSU to fall to 14-9 overall and 4-6 in Big Ten play, the UM student newspaper called for Beilein to be fired, and their online poll supported that roughly 65-35.

Their next game out, they clobbered MSU by 30, and have since then gone 62-11, 25-7 in the conference, won 2 Big Ten tourney titles, reached a Sweet 16 and a Final 4, and are about to be #1 in the nation.

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #875 on: January 17, 2019, 07:00:53 PM »
ON February 4, 2017, after back to back losses to MSU and OSU to fall to 14-9 overall and 4-6 in Big Ten play, the UM student newspaper called for Beilein to be fired, and their online poll supported that roughly 65-35.

Their next game out, they clobbered MSU by 30, and have since then gone 62-11, 25-7 in the conference, won 2 Big Ten tourney titles, reached a Sweet 16 and a Final 4, and are about to be #1 in the nation.
Sports are a fickle place. 

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #876 on: January 17, 2019, 09:54:05 PM »
Winston is gassed, he can't keep playing him these minutes, but with Langford and Ahrens out, he can't use McQuaid at PG

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #877 on: January 17, 2019, 09:56:04 PM »
was a good game until the last 5 minutes

the vault was rockin
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

MichiFan87

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #878 on: January 17, 2019, 10:18:48 PM »
I distinctly remember the low point of Michigan's season 2 years ago, especially with how disappointing the previous two years were (with the NJIT and Eastern Michigan losses being the low points, largely due to injuries, though). I was admittedly already speculating about how Beilein should retire and who could replace him. Thankfully, Derrick Walton emerged late that year and led the team to the BigTen tournament championship, upsetting Louisville in the NCAA tournament to end Pitino's career to avenge the championship game loss (and arguably should've beaten Oregon the following game).

As it is, the court of Crisler Center will almost certainly be honored to Beilein when he retires, just as Berenson was for hockey, since he's already the winningest coach in program history and does everything the right way. His decision to hire Luke Yaklich and let him coach the defense is the big difference, of course. Billy Donlon's year as the defensive assistant before he went to Northwestern was an improvement, too, of course, but Michigan's defense has been even better in the past two years.

As for tonight's game, Sparty got a big win, which might have been their toughest game left other than the Michigan games, since they don't have to go to Maryland (as I've said before, I'm glad Michigan doesn't go to Lincoln, West Lafayette, or Columbus, but that's a fortunate break for MSU, too). In fact, MSU gets Maryland at home next, so if they win that I'd almost concede that they're the favorite, but hopefully that would just provide Michigan more motivation to keep winning.
“When your team is winning, be ready to be tough, because winning can make you soft. On the other hand, when your team is losing, stick by them. Keep believing”
― Bo Schembechler

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #879 on: January 17, 2019, 10:44:00 PM »
Beyond that, the next two are at Iowa and at Purdue.  If they can get through all three, then I'd say they are probably the favorite.

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #880 on: January 18, 2019, 07:13:50 AM »
Nebraska winning in Bloomington four days ago then losing at home to MSU last night is more support for the idea that we need a blank tier in between the Michigan Schools and everybody else.  

I'm planning on waiting until Tuesday to update the tiers but as of now I'm thinking (the #'s next to each team are massey composite computer rankings):
  • Michigan State 4, Michigan 5
  • BLANK
  • Maryland 17, Nebraska 18, Purdue 19
  • Wisconsin 26, Indiana 29, Iowa 30
  • Ohio State 33 (this assumes that the Buckeyes lose at home tonight to UMD)
  • Minnesota 42, Northwestern 61, Penn State 79
  • Rutgers 104, Illinois 132

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #881 on: January 18, 2019, 10:14:36 AM »
The Huskers top 6-7 players are good enough to compete in the BIG.  The drop off after that group is striking and has/will hurt the team when key players get into foul trouble.   UNL's D kept them in the game on a night of cold shooting.   How many 3's rattled in and out last night?  It happens...  Part of that is due to MSU's D and part of it to guys just missing open shots.   But physically, UNL was in that game.   Compared to where the program was 5-6 years ago, I think progress is being made.   Fans are always impatient, but UNL has no basketball history.   Need to continue to recruit, attract good transfers and work on bench depth.   Easier said than done... but the support is there.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.