header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Is Urby In Trouble Here?

(Read 82398 times)

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Is Urby In Trouble Here?
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2018, 02:19:36 PM »
Legally, Meyer isn’t required to fire him or even contact the authorities (at least that I know of).

That may not be true, dependent on Title IX. 

And as I said, even if there is no criminal justice requirement that he doesn't report it, there may be OSU internal rules that he's violated by not taking this to his superiors (assuming he, in fact, knew). 

What is going to take him down is lying about it.  It’s a PR nightmare.  You can’t say you knew nothing about it when your wife had pictures of the abuse on her phone. And no, no one is going to believe his wife didn’t tell him.

Correct. No one is going to believe him. But given his coaching talent, it's questionable whether he'll get fired if there's no actual proof. The public will likely be out for blood, but if he survives the next few weeks with the "I didn't know" mantra and there's no proof, eventually it will blow over. The public doesn't have enough stamina to keep these things up all that long.

There are other texts from other coaches’ wives that say things like, “Urban doesn’t know what to do.”
Objection, your honor: hearsay!

Objection sustained: the evidence is inadmissible. 

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2018, 02:20:58 PM »
He was only loyal to that clown Smith because of his love for the guys' grandfather. 
poor reasoning
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

TyphonInc

• Starter
  • Easily Amused
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2018, 02:22:18 PM »
I saw the photos of what was done to Smith's wife. I concur Zach Smith is a POS. glad he was fired.

rolltidefan

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2018, 02:25:29 PM »
I saw the photos of what was done to Smith's wife. I concur Zach Smith is a POS. glad he was fired.
yeah, it looked pretty bad.
there's finally a small link on espn about it. it took some looking though.

Kris61

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2018, 02:30:20 PM »
That may not be true, dependent on Title IX.

And as I said, even if there is no criminal justice requirement that he doesn't report it, there may be OSU internal rules that he's violated by not taking this to his superiors (assuming he, in fact, knew).

Correct. No one is going to believe him. But given his coaching talent, it's questionable whether he'll get fired if there's no actual proof. The public will likely be out for blood, but if he survives the next few weeks with the "I didn't know" mantra and there's no proof, eventually it will blow over. The public doesn't have enough stamina to keep these things up all that long.
Objection, your honor: hearsay!

Objection sustained: the evidence is inadmissible.
Objection your honor works in a courtroom. Not in the court of public opinion. And this is the arena that Ohio St is in with this decision.
Idk. I think this is looking bad for Urby right now.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2018, 02:31:57 PM »
poor reasoning
any other guy, I think Urban would've gotten rid of him a long time ago. Really think he kept that dipshit around out of loyalty/love for Bruce.

HailHailMSP

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2018, 02:46:40 PM »
Urban knew. It’s clear his wife, and a number of others in the coaching circle did, so I find it impossible he didn’t.

What I am flummoxed by though, is why work so hard to keep Zach Smith? Slightly above average recruiter and below average coach. Was the relationship with Coach Bruce that powerful to risk what has now come to light?

What is also clear to me is that it’s hard to hide much these days with our electronic footprints of texting, social media, etc. You will get bitten eventually.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2018, 02:51:59 PM »
What I am flummoxed by though, is why work so hard to keep Zach Smith? Slightly above average recruiter and below average coach. Was the relationship with Coach Bruce that powerful to risk what has now come to light?
it's the relationship with Bruce. Smith was a terrible WR coach and a complete ass clown. Everyone of his WR's went to the NFL not knowing how to run routes. They all had to be taught. ONLY reason he kept him around was bc he was Bruce's grandson.

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2018, 02:53:27 PM »
Idk. I think this is looking bad for Urby right now.
I agree. As I said, if he survives the next few weeks, though, he'll survive. I believe the American public will be distracted by the next shiny thing and if he makes it through that, he's in the clear. 

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2018, 02:53:33 PM »
Urban knew. It’s clear his wife, and a number of others in the coaching circle did, so I find it impossible he didn’t.

What is also clear to me is that it’s hard to hide much these days with our electronic footprints of texting, social media, etc. You will get bitten eventually.
It goes back to what I said about what the cop said about how things were handled in Ann Arbor under Bo.  I think this is simply always the way it's been, and guys didn't really think about it like they were taking a risk.  They were simply doing things the way they've always been done.  The most damning evidence so far against Izzo is that he kpe a former player/unpaid grad assistant on after being accused of punching a girl in a bar, and that was my first thought.  This isn't some star player or big time assistant.  It's not even A player or AN assistant.  Why risk it for a grad assistant?  The only logical answer is these guys have operated one way for decades and didn't know to operate any differently.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2018, 03:11:06 PM »
yeah, it looked pretty bad.
there's finally a small link on espn about it. it took some looking though.
it's the top headline now

big trouble

The 2009 and 2015 accusations came to light last month, when Zach Smith was charged with criminal trespassing after dropping his children off at Courtney Smith's home, which led to his firing as wide receivers coach on July 24.

Hah, he wasn't fired for criminal trespassing.  He was fired for 2009-2015 and everything put together.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 03:17:23 PM by FearlessF »
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2018, 03:36:40 PM »
it's the top headline now

big trouble

The 2009 and 2015 accusations came to light last month, when Zach Smith was charged with criminal trespassing after dropping his children off at Courtney Smith's home, which led to his firing as wide receivers coach on July 24.

Hah, he wasn't fired for criminal trespassing.  He was fired for 2009-2015 and everything put together.
The semantics nerd in my wants to argue “led to” grants the leeway for all that. He history doesn’t come up without the charge. 
I think ESPN probably held back becuase of pettiness with Brett. Too bad. It does remind me a lot of folks were convinced that network just hated OSU at one point.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2018, 03:37:41 PM »
So... Kevin Wilson, or Greg Schiano?
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.