header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Is Urby In Trouble Here?

(Read 82344 times)

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: Is Urby In Trouble Here?
« Reply #1190 on: September 18, 2018, 10:04:06 PM »
I'm worried if I say so that it'll be counterproductive and I may be accused of being one person with two usernames**, but that's the kind  of even-handed answer I'd like to borrow (the part about two-sided sympathy and an unanswerable question), Bayareabadger.

**  :- )
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:27:40 PM by Anonymous Coward »

Honestbuckeye

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #1191 on: September 18, 2018, 10:15:08 PM »
Sigh. Please do me the courtesy (or special favor) of reading this and get back to me if your opinion is unchanged
I had read that before.  I liked it, and I fact I may have stated that.  I actually agree with it.
Unfortunately that’s not a message that is being heard or understood.
Here is how it goes:
Coaches wife claims DV over long period of time. Claims boss knew about it.
Reaction is swift, and closed to debate.  Boss is a douche who covered up DV. Look! There are texts that prove it!  He should be fired immediately since DV is currently in the social spotlight as a cardinal sin.  
Everything that follows, including a thorough investigation by very talented and qualified people, indicating that was not the case at all, is viewed as lies and excuse by those media and talking heads that came to their conclusion on day one. It’s guilty until proven innocent with the asterisk that your never innocent.
That’s a microcosm of many situations.   All Meyer has tried to do since is show contrition for mistakes in giving a guy too much leash because of his affinity for his grandad and his penchant for thinking ha can fix everyone. And most of all, disprove the narrative that he covered up DV. The facts support him.  But nobody cares what he has to say, because he was judged by the accusations themselves.  And not just judged, outcast as if he actually beat his own wife.  Nobody is talking about ZS, the real dufus or Gene Smith.  And why?its our societies desire to bring down people who are successful, or more successful than their guy.  “  Look- he isn’t a winner at all, he is bad guy because he covered up DV.”  It. Onveniently fits their narrative, but there is no regard for the real truth or the person who is being destroyed.
What did he actually do wrong?  He kept  a guy employed that deserved not to be. Was it to win?  Nobody believes he is a great coach so that doesn’t fly. It was stupid, but worthy of all of this?  He said he thought about firing him, but thought that would not help his wife or kids. He would have no income.
He didn’t  tell  compliance?  Wow, two other  people he respected thought the same, and we all know they could not do anything.
And yet I come on this football board and have to read this shit from people who clearly are motivated by more than just justice.  They have their own agenda.  Ever notice the hate comes mostly from Blue fans?  Go back through the thread.  It jumps out at you.
Look- everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I respect that. But like so many issues in our world today- they are swayed by self interest and don’t think about what is actually fair and balanced.  It just me me me me...
That’s why this pisses me off so much.  The guy is no saint, that’s for sure.  He can be smug and arrogant to mention a few things.   But to people who really know him, with one exception I am aware of (CS)( and although I have met him I can’t say I know him but I know a number of people that do) they would tell you his greatest fault is that he cares too much, tries to help everyone, and mostly, does not put up with any bullshit like hitting a female.  
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
-Mark Twain

Honestbuckeye

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #1192 on: September 18, 2018, 10:23:42 PM »
This is a tough nut to crack, and I mean that from a human element.
On one hand, if someone was accused of something that I believed to be not true, I'd feel a great deal of sympathy. On the other, if someone I knew was assaulted and utterly not believed, I'd have a great deal of sympathy as well. It's a somewhat unanswerable question.
I suppose I'd try to have sympathy for all. It gets a little muddier when we're talking about damage control, muddled messages and press conferences. I heard on a podcast about the idea of complimenting someone for handling it well, like we're fans of non-answers. Urban gave some real answers, some odd non-answers. He ended up looking not great. Maybe that's because of the PC mob. Maybe it's because he didn't put much to bed. Maybe it's because he showed himself to be the cynic's image of him, snarling and indignant, handed a life vest but a little to proud to show you he can swim.
Pretty well said.
-Mark Twain

TyphonInc

• Starter
  • Easily Amused
  • Liked:
« Reply #1193 on: September 19, 2018, 08:23:06 AM »
I just read we have moved past the Postmodernism movement and we are now into a "post truth" generation. Post Truth is defined by saying there is an absolute Truth, but my opinions and bias are more important. We cherry-pick parts of the truth that reinforce our bias and minimize or ignore other parts. 

I feel ( 

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #1194 on: September 19, 2018, 09:11:14 AM »
Then you frightened by me.  I don’t see it.
As I have said from the beginning, and it is more obvious now, nobody believed CS, including the cops.
As Urban said, what was firing ZS going to do to protect her and the kids? Nothing.
This is really more of a social outrage issue, and a guy who thought he could fix something and gave a guy too many chances.
And now that he looked straight into the camera and said repeatedly, that he never deleted a single message, and there was never any evidence that he di, I believe him.
I actually think he is not good in front of cameras, but I am thankful he is substantially better in front of the cameras than some other high profile coaches in the league, even on his bad days.
Hate on......
Let me clarify something the whole Zack/Courtney chamber pot is a minute reason I can't stand UFM.Coaches wives have come out and said they weren't aware of abuse.Others said they were always fighting.Courtney's own mother repeatedly said she had an attitude/alcohol problem(as if he didn't) and had got in Zach's face also.Beat reporters and I believe it was Ramzy from 11 Warriors said everyone knew about Zach - either late or no show to both staff & team meetings.They also knew that Courtney was a problem child.Ramzey had said something along the lines like "nobody liked Courtney,which is odd because no one liked Zach either."
  McMurphy broke 2 stories the morning of july23rd,Later that morning Zach is fired.Now I doubt that is coincidental but for the sake of argument let's say it is.Urban Fookin' Meyer knew this festering boil had to be lanced along time ago.He is paid more than handsomely to make sure it is.I don't think for one minute Courtney is a victim but she played that card the minute her meal ticket had been pulled.
  The smug narcissist UFM couldn't even take a whole 2 minutes to write a statement addressing the dismissal.Oh Hey thanx,Coach - biggest fargin' media event of the year and you blew it off like you are beyond reproach.A properly worded statement would have went a long was assuaging the shitstorm that followed.Instead the face of the Football program and to some extent the University(like it or not) smells like a bag or burning rats in a Meth Lab.
  Meyer grotesquely dismisses & brushes aside inquires from the media who unlike him are prepared and fulfilling their obligations to their employers.He badly stumbles thru some deflections then presents the subject matter as a made up story.Now anyone who can't see that Urbz was either a smug and/or condescending incompetent dick is a blatantly blinded Homer.Most of the us older fans are pissed this poser dragged the good name thru the abyss.And a lot of Grads - even younger ones are not wearing the gear on game day the way they use to !!!.I don't want to hear the wankers attempt to to smooth things over.He talked a lot of shit when in Gainesville and that habit has reared it's ugly head again in C-Bus.Fix something?Ya of his own making,who's fault is that?
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #1195 on: September 19, 2018, 09:33:19 AM »
And once Urban came under the microscope, he made a lot of bad PR mistakes. All of them were predictable in advance and avoidable.
I believe that to be spot on - well said,the guy is use to talking to 18-22 year olds who he holds much sway over.It's when he steps out of that realm it turns into whack-a-mole.Again Urbz,don't piss down our backs and tell us it's raining

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1196 on: September 19, 2018, 09:38:54 AM »
And once Urban came under the microscope, he made a lot of bad PR mistakes. All of them were predictable in advance and avoidable.
Urban is who we thought he was
He's terrible at PR because he's above the public.  He has no need for a relationship with the public.
He's never been wrong about anything and therefore there's no reason to apologize.
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Honestbuckeye

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #1197 on: September 19, 2018, 09:57:38 AM »
Let me clarify something the whole Zack/Courtney chamber pot is a minute reason I can't stand UFM.Coaches wives have come out and said they weren't aware of abuse.Others said they were always fighting.Courtney's own mother repeatedly said she had an attitude/alcohol problem(as if he didn't) and had got in Zach's face also.Beat reporters and I believe it was Ramzy from 11 Warriors said everyone knew about Zach - either late or no show to both staff & team meetings.They also knew that Courtney was a problem child.Ramzey had said something along the lines like "nobody liked Courtney,which is odd because no one liked Zach either."
  McMurphy broke 2 stories the morning of july23rd,Later that morning Zach is fired.Now I doubt that is coincidental but for the sake of argument let's say it is.Urban Fookin' Meyer knew this festering boil had to be lanced along time ago.He is paid more than handsomely to make sure it is.I don't think for one minute Courtney is a victim but she played that card the minute her meal ticket had been pulled.
  The smug narcissist UFM couldn't even take a whole 2 minutes to write a statement addressing the dismissal.Oh Hey thanx,Coach - biggest fargin' media event of the year and you blew it off like you are beyond reproach.A properly worded statement would have went a long was assuaging the shitstorm that followed.Instead the face of the Football program and to some extent the University(like it or not) smells like a bag or burning rats in a Meth Lab.
  Meyer grotesquely dismisses & brushes aside inquires from the media who unlike him are prepared and fulfilling their obligations to their employers.He badly stumbles thru some deflections then presents the subject matter as a made up story.Now anyone who can't see that Urbz was either a smug and/or condescending incompetent dick is a blatantly blinded Homer.Most of the us older fans are pissed this poser dragged the good name thru the abyss.And a lot of Grads - even younger ones are not wearing the gear on game day the way they use to !!!.I don't want to hear the wankers attempt to to smooth things over.He talked a lot of shit when in Gainesville and that habit has reared it's ugly head again in C-Bus.Fix something?Ya of his own making,who's fault is that?
wow- where have I heard this before.  If you don't see it the way I see it your an idiot.  perhaps deplorable too.   what a pile of rubbish this post is.
-Mark Twain

Honestbuckeye

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #1198 on: September 19, 2018, 09:59:25 AM »
Urban is who we thought he was
He's terrible at PR because he's above the public.  He has no need for a relationship with the public.
He's never been wrong about anything and therefore there's no reason to apologize.
further proof of my point. he has apologized lie 20 times, been ripped apart for his apologies, and you say this- does not think he owes an apology.  Nuts.
-Mark Twain

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1199 on: September 19, 2018, 11:23:05 AM »
Dude,

Urban's apologies are terrible

If he would actually sincerely apologize properly and be believable........... but he doesn't
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #1200 on: September 19, 2018, 11:23:11 AM »
wow- where have I heard this before.  If you don't see it the way I see it your an idiot.  perhaps deplorable too.   what a pile of rubbish this post is.
where have we heard this before....probably Gainesville.That's not a mistake it's a trend.He's always sorry when the obvious is pointed out.There is an old saying - don't be sorry,don't be doing it.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1201 on: September 19, 2018, 11:30:47 AM »
example:

He will not admit to lying at the Big Ten Media days.  He just misspoke

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=24707867

Honestbuckeye

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #1202 on: September 19, 2018, 11:53:16 AM »
example:

He will not admit to lying at the Big Ten Media days.  He just misspoke

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=24707867
So that morning of the Big Ten media days, he got off the elevator and was approached by several members of the media and was asked the same question you are claiming he lied on. He gave them the exact same answer and said that the 2015 incident did not involve an arrest and he did not understand why that’s being sent now.
 So that morning of the Big Ten media days, he got off the elevator and was approached by several members of the media and was asked the same question you are claiming he lied. He gave them the exact same answer and said that the 2015 incident did not involve an arrest and he did not understand why that’s being said now. 
 So he got that same question and gave that same answer – he didn’t understand why this was being called an arrest. So basically he wasn’t doing a very good job of listening to the question or being thorough. 
 His texts which have been made public, from the night before prove that. He asked several people from Ohio State, including the athletic director, to dig up the stuff from 2015 because “I don’t want to be wrong tomorrow“  
 So it is very obvious that he did not want to give out wrong information about the 2015 incident. Do you think he would lie to one set of reporters in a big room only after having said something different to small group of reporters a couple hours before? 
He did not lie that big 10 meetings or at least did not intend to. He was saying that this new report showing that there was an arrest in 2015 was bullshit, because it was
-Mark Twain

Honestbuckeye

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #1203 on: September 19, 2018, 11:54:39 AM »
where have we heard this before....probably Gainesville.That's not a mistake it's a trend.He's always sorry when the obvious is pointed out.There is an old saying - don't be sorry,don't be doing it.
Doing what?
-Mark Twain

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.