header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: List of players sitting out their bowl game

(Read 12718 times)

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: List of players sitting out their bowl game
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2018, 01:24:36 PM »
We need the NFL to make a minor league for kids who have no interest in Kolledge. That would solve a lot of stuff.
To come back to this. It wouldn't solve anything completely, but letting anyone who's ready go to the NFL draft, be it after HS, one-and-done, etc., would at least diminish some of this. 
In other conversations quite outside this thread: 
  • It would also probably add to more parity in the sport. I imagine Alabama would be hurt most, for example. And the importance of development would rise relative to the importance of starting talent. Not that Alabama struggles with development, but now they'd risk having less of both to belabor their specific case.
  • This would not touch the kids most impacted by lagging compensation: not the benchwarmers, not the future draftees, but the impact players our teams depend on for their smarts/strength/savvy who the sport cannot work without who are too undersized (or underspeedy) to go pro and are told they cannot earn salary in, for some of them, what is the best thing they'll ever do at the moment its market value is peaking

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2018, 01:26:55 PM »
It's a selfish move. There is no other way to explain it.

I wonder what Bo "the team the team the team" Schembechler would say. No, scratch that. I know what he'd say.

"I just pulled your scholarship, now get the F out of here!"
My words do not need to be twisted and the lines here have nothing written in-between them. My point stands. My opinion and belief on this matter won't change.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2018, 01:31:25 PM »
Then it's not a good "business" to get into, right?
I know you "got out" and made a great life for yourself and therefore will always have the mentality that it's 100% pure bootstraps and choices, but that doesn't mean you don't also underestimate your luck or how hard it is for others to be born into a poor family and escape. And the kids you're upset with, the ones who aren't making every correct decision, are largely low in socioeconomic standing. You're a good and impressive person. And they deserve more understanding than this. Both can be true.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2018, 01:33:05 PM »
My words do not need to be twisted and the lines here have nothing written in-between them. My point stands. My opinion and belief on this matter won't change.
What was twisted? You are saying Frieder and these kids are the same kind of selfish. And I'm pointing out how broken your analogy is. Circumstances matter. It's asymmetric because of compensation. Apples and oranges. Maybe there really is a good analogy out there to apples and apples judge these kids. Go find it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 01:34:55 PM by Anonymous Coward »

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2018, 01:40:08 PM »
The system is set up to screw these kids out of money they have earned.  So whatever they "owe" has already been paid.
Precisely.
That's the inevitable direction of this thread. Because the judgment here is entirely different if the players were market compensated.
Detractors are judging each uncompensated player (with maximal financial vulnerability for themself and family) as if a salaried NFL player is being insolent or cowardly and sitting out to stay healthy. And that's not correct until the players are compensated.
Once they are market value compensated, I expect to reverse my perspective on this - likely the full 180*.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 01:42:56 PM by Anonymous Coward »

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2018, 01:45:31 PM »
It wasn't an analogy. That's your choice of how to described my comment - that they are the same kind of selfish. Shit, Frieder WANTED TO COACH MICHIGAN and he was told to go packing. Not even close to an analogy. Good Lord man.

You responded to my comment with this:

"Bo was miserably hyper-judgmental. Of course he'd make that mistake."

To which I responded:

Don't confuse "mistake" with old-school. Was it a "mistake" to tell Frieder to pack his things?

You can choose to make this an analogy if you like. My post was simply in reference to how Bo Schembechler would respond to anyone not wanting to be on "the team" with him.

My point still stands. Sitting out a game is selfish.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2018, 01:53:47 PM »
Your post doesn't have to take the boringly literal form "Frieder is to selfish as the players are to selfish" to be a comparison or analogy.
I seriously doubt you didn't mean for comparison. And if you sincerely meant zero comparison between saying Frieder was selfish in one breath and in a separate breath saying the same of these players, then your Frieder inclusion was weird. Off topic.
Only a comparison makes it on topic.
I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you wrote it on purpose, coherently and on-topic.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 01:55:59 PM by Anonymous Coward »

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2018, 02:27:39 PM »
Your post doesn't have to take the boringly literal form "Frieder is to selfish as the players are to selfish" to be a comparison or analogy.
I seriously doubt you didn't mean for comparison. And if you sincerely meant zero comparison between saying Frieder was selfish in one breath and in a separate breath saying the same of these players, then your Frieder inclusion was weird. Off topic.
Only a comparison makes it on topic.
I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you wrote it on purpose, coherently and on-topic.
Where did I ever say Frieder was selfish? Show me. Please.

The only reason I mentioned him was to show that Bo had no use for people on his team that didn't want to be there. End of story. Nothing between the lines. Nothing to twist. Nothing to doubt, even seriously.

All done I hope.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2018, 02:39:02 PM »
Is it? How so? Choices are both.
Because it compares life and death public service with semi-amateur sports. And while involvoking the marines adds gravitas, it’s just such a far cry from it. 
The teamwork being a soldier requires involves making the choice to possibly leave one’s own a child parentless and a spouse a widow or widower for the sake of recovering the body of a fallen comrad. 
One has real stakes, the other, it just matters so much less. 
(I am now trying to figure out what the camping world bowl of life and death military missions is. If we have any ideas)   

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2018, 02:42:13 PM »
It wasn't an analogy. That's your choice of how to described my comment - that they are the same kind of selfish. Shit, Frieder WANTED TO COACH MICHIGAN and he was told to go packing. Not even close to an analogy. Good Lord man.

You responded to my comment with this:

"Bo was miserably hyper-judgmental. Of course he'd make that mistake."

To which I responded:

Don't confuse "mistake" with old-school. Was it a "mistake" to tell Frieder to pack his things?

You can choose to make this an analogy if you like. My post was simply in reference to how Bo Schembechler would respond to anyone not wanting to be on "the team" with him.

My point still stands. Sitting out a game is selfish.

I think I agree it’s selfish, becuase it’s someone thinking about themselves. I could also cast playing as selfish, or our desire to highlight it with such irritation. 
But I think you’re putting more weight on the word than I. You’re casting it as a moral failing, I see it as more part of he human condition. You see it as ugly, I see it as somewhat natural, a conservative instinct. 
I suppose we won’t bridge that, but you know what, that’s OK. 

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2018, 06:41:32 PM »
Where did I ever say Frieder was selfish? Show me. Please.

The only reason I mentioned him was to show that Bo had no use for people on his team that didn't want to be there. End of story. Nothing between the lines. Nothing to twist. Nothing to doubt, even seriously.

All done I hope.
Like is said, I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you wrote it with intention - coherently and on-topic.
You've been talking about "team, the team, T.E.A.M." In many posts. Even in that specific post about Bo. That seemed like a natural linker. The natural implication is that Frieder was not a team player and that could only be relevant here if these players are also not team players. Which is a synonym for selfishness.
But yeah, I guess this is resolved if you insist you were either not being coherent or on-topic. That you actually were not making this relevant comparison. But you'll have to forgive me for expecting that you were.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:18:30 PM by Anonymous Coward »

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2018, 06:45:58 PM »
But I think you’re putting more weight on the word than I. You’re casting it as a moral failing, I see it as more part of he human condition. You see it as ugly, I see it as somewhat natural, a conservative instinct.
I suppose we won’t bridge that, but you know what, that’s OK.
That's very well distilled.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2018, 07:26:31 PM »
So am I. I'm old-school.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2018, 11:14:12 PM »
sitting out a bowl game maybe somewhat natural and conservative, but it's not what the program they've been a part of has preached to them since they arrived.

Sacrifice for the good of the team or the unit
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.