header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: List of players sitting out their bowl game

(Read 12733 times)

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: List of players sitting out their bowl game
« Reply #140 on: December 12, 2018, 08:42:57 PM »
There might be enough of us around to keep it on TV for a few decades perhaps, but eventually we will age out and be replaced with a generation that views the Big Ten in the same manner as we view a Conference from D3-FCS.
Aging out is a worthy thing to point out. I'd argue the A.D.'s would lose significant revenue immediately if we enacted some scheme that fully drained their rosters and they refilled with Go5 or sub-Go5 level players. But we do have to acknowledge that badge is right that based on habits and traditions, many millions of us would keep watching anyway. Fewer millions than before, but many all the same. Decades later, however, that will have died down to sub-alumni association levels of intense interest. Because of course, not every Michigan or OSU graduate actually cares about CFB. And in those decades, we'd fail to recruit new non-grads as well.

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: December 12, 2018, 08:53:28 PM »
We are also assuming only one minor league team for each franchise. It's possible they'd have two or more tiers where players would work their way up the minors into the big leagues. With two tiers it would be 64 teams filling up their rosters with players that would otherwise be in college. 

Then there'd be the trickle down effect. Big Ten schools would be recruiting the players that would otherwise play in the MAC, and so forth. 
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: December 12, 2018, 09:07:58 PM »
I'm not making an argument for or against paying players, btw. I'm staying out of that one. 

Just sorta jumped in mid thread. Carry on.
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: December 12, 2018, 09:27:57 PM »
I'm thinking that the resident moderator should change the title of this thread.

I'm also thinking of offering a course on business economics and management. The other thing I'm thinking is talking about how "we" got to talking about this stuff. Helmet schools are guilty of paying HUGE money for coaching. 

Iowa too. I think it may have started there, with Kaptain Kirk's $4MIL bullet-proof contract after he went undefeated (sans ISU) and got hammered by Pete's highly paid USC "amateur" guys.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2018, 09:47:51 PM »
I don't for a minute believe that true fans of college football would back away from the games if the NFL had a minor league and took 250 players away from the college game every year. True fans cheer for the helmet and jersey, not the specific players.
1. If so, then I imagine fans would also not care if the players get some cash.
2. Their is a delusion here that the only players who deserve money are those good enough to play professionally.  Jim Tressel ran into issues at Youngstown State involving players getting paid, and none of them were going to be in the NFL.  I spent my undergrad at Miami of Ohio and saw players working out ways to get paid, and they also were not NFL prospects.  The issue is college football itself, and every player involved, is a product that is being marketed and sold.  Every single player on Wisconsin and Iowa could make more money absent the amateurism rules, because they are part of a valuable product.  This idea that only college administrators and bowl game CEO's should profit off of the kids' work is, to me, really skeezy.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2018, 09:53:13 PM »
I'm thinking that the resident moderator should change the title of this thread.

I'm also thinking of offering a course on business economics and management. The other thing I'm thinking is talking about how "we" got to talking about this stuff. Helmet schools are guilty of paying HUGE money for coaching.

Iowa too. I think it may have started there, with Kaptain Kirk's $4MIL bullet-proof contract after he went undefeated (sans ISU) and got hammered by Pete's highly paid USC "amateur" guys.
Those guys are lax.  And, asleep at the wheel, apparently.
You get what you pay for, I suppose... :)

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: December 12, 2018, 09:58:19 PM »
1. If so, then I imagine fans would also not care if the players get some cash.
HAH!
2. Their is a delusion here that the only players who deserve money are those good enough to play professionally.  Jim Tressel ran into issues at Youngstown State involving players getting paid, and none of them were going to be in the NFL.  I spent my undergrad at Miami of Ohio and saw players working out ways to get paid, and they also were not NFL prospects.  The issue is college football itself, and every player involved, is a product that is being marketed and sold.  Every single player on Wisconsin and Iowa could make more money absent the amateurism rules, because they are part of a valuable product.  This idea that only college administrators and bowl game CEO's should profit off of the kids' work is, to me, really skeezy.
No doubt about that. That common misconception also sidesteps the fact that the pre-NFLers aren't the ones whose lacking compensation is most tragic. It's the "role players." If it weren't for the too small/too slow role players being screwed, threads like these would be scarce because "let's give pre-multimillionaires a few hundred thousand beforehand" is a shit rallying cry. 
Letting kids on a lower middle class or pre-poverty line trajectory collect the few hundred thousand they've already proven they deserve, well that's a completely other thing.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2018, 10:03:55 PM »

(1) We're still on topic ... mostly. More than 90% of this is about players sitting out or the explanation for their motivations. There's no way to have that conversation completely without including their compensation.
(2) Bloated administrator and coach salaries are only inevitable because, after the cable bundle/BTN era dawned, these non-profits had a wealth of revenue and the majority of their workforce isn't allowed to collect, and those salaries filled the void.
The idea that it'd have been extended instead to fans by lowering ticket prices or cable costs always ran counter to human nature.

Reyd

• Walk On
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: December 12, 2018, 10:33:25 PM »
Scott the best goalkeeper (parody) youtube. Stay to the end boys, specially for no money.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2018, 10:50:45 PM »
I have no idea why those games still exist.
Senior Bowl:
 - Beau Benzschawel
 - Michael Deiter
 - Alec Ingold

East-West Shrine Game
 - Andrew Van Ginkel
 - Ryan Connelly

Maybe they don't agree? Pretty sure there is at least one 1st or 2nd round guy in that group... of seniors.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2018, 10:52:33 PM »
(1) We're still on topic ... mostly. .
Not. Even. Close.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2018, 10:55:52 PM »
My employees don't require personal training to perform their craft, so that argument is silly. I do provide up to $50/month for gym membership though.
We’re so off topic, but my last job did that, and man was it a nice touch. 

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2018, 11:02:49 PM »
got nothing to do with NCAA coaches salaries or how much money an education is worth

sitting out a bowl game or multiple games once a kid has proven himself worth a draft pick, especially a 1st or 2nd round pick, is all about the risk of injury vs the opportunity to sign his name and instantly become very wealthy.

If someone offered Noah Fant $500K to finish his senior season including a bowl game, would it be worth the risk?

A few years from now Noah could possibly be banking much more than Gronk.

My issue isn't with Noah and his family.  My issue is with his decision to leave his team, his coaches, his fans, the U of I, and the game he loves.  Probably at the urging of his agent, and financial advisors.

Understanding that his team, his coaches, his fans, the U of I, and the game he loves are responsible for his opportunity.

I like $$$ as much or more than most folks.  If it was my son, I'd look him in the eye and tell him to play the game if he wanted to play the game.  Hell take out the insurance policy for the bowl game.
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2018, 11:19:47 PM »
Not. Even. Close.
"The players sit out because it isn't worth the risk, which is about money."
Outlining how the last few pages have been on-topic takes one easy sentence.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 11:21:45 PM by Anonymous Coward »

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.