header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Who would you realistically replace Rutgers with?

(Read 21651 times)

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: Who would you realistically replace Rutgers with?
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2018, 07:28:50 AM »
You can engage in complex schemes to eject Rutgers and go to some 20 team conference is you want, I don't mind, I just find all this pointless.

I see no evidence or indication that Rutgers is leaving the B1G.

In five years, they COULD have a decent team with the right coach.

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2018, 07:37:30 AM »
so either kick out the next weakest link (Maryland) or add a 14th that brings the $$$

Careful FF,next weakest may not be Maryland - at least this year
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2018, 07:44:35 AM »
Paper isn't kindling.  It can be used as tinder, but it works best if you prepare it by rolling into tubes and such, making sure enough air can get in around the paper to feed the flames.

TyphonInc

• Starter
  • Easily Amused
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2018, 07:54:35 AM »
VTech always liked the Hokies
I've also championed Virginia Tech to move to the B1G. They are not AAU, however it's been reported they were very close to gaining membership in the the last AAU vote. VT specifically asked Big Ten Schools what they need to do to gain admittance, and have taken the advice seriously. They asked for an exemption and received it to include their medical campus in Raleigh to be included. (Part of the reason Nebraska lost AAU status is their Medical Campus in Omaha was no longer included, the other being that Ag research was deemed no longer competitive.) They have also increased their investment into the Arts, and have increased their endowment from 600 million to 1.7 Billion.

"VT is setting up for another round...they got some feedback last time from peer institutions. We were questioned about the broadness of our research, the diversity of the university and lack of relationship to the arts. Since then, VT has broadened the amount and scope of research with five research centers...look at the investment in performing arts...there is a much better case now. With the leadership with heavy Big 10 connections, we have more relationships to champion our cause."

I don't believe that AAU status is the end all be all for inclusion to the B1G, but it definitely doesn't hurt to have that feather in your cap. 

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2018, 07:59:00 AM »
So if we swapped Indiana for Nebraska, we could do old guard/add ons without even expanding, as the "West" would have all the teams that have consistently been in the Conference since the 19th century.

**King Barry's ears perked up**

Yeah, the guy who went to bat for his alma mater joining the conference can't wait to not play them anymore...
:34:
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2018, 08:05:36 AM »
The Big Ten and SEC should remain divided by Civil War lines. 
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2018, 09:07:47 AM »
"Remain"?
Lincoln once said that he hoped god was on his side but he had to have Kentucky. Kentucky stayed in the Union and their Wildcats are in the SEC.
I'll add this: while both Maryland and Kentucky stayed in the Union, Kentucky did so by choice while Maryland was, for all intents and purposes, a Northern Occupied territory.

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2018, 09:30:17 AM »
Does the AAU mean anything....?   Seems more like a club than a standard.

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2018, 09:38:24 AM »
"Remain"?
Lincoln once said that he hoped god was on his side but he had to have Kentucky. Kentucky stayed in the Union and their Wildcats are in the SEC.
I'll add this: while both Maryland and Kentucky stayed in the Union, Kentucky did so by choice while Maryland was, for all intents and purposes, a Northern Occupied territory.
Kentcky and Missouri had one foot in and one foot out.
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2018, 11:16:16 AM »
The AAU is a nice club to be in, but I'm not clear that it is much of an advantage specifically.  They don't have much money to dole out, and money is the root of all power.

Or something like that.  Some very good schools are not AAU schools because they lack graduate school power (ND).

The B1G has some excellent graduate programs but I'd opine the ACC has better undergrad programs, aside from Laville.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2018, 11:26:53 AM »
Does the AAU mean anything....?   Seems more like a club than a standard.
apparently not, if someone has helmet status
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2018, 11:31:54 AM »
The AAU is a nice club to be in, but I'm not clear that it is much of an advantage specifically.  They don't have much money to dole out, and money is the root of all power.

Or something like that.  Some very good schools are not AAU schools because they lack graduate school power (ND).

The B1G has some excellent graduate programs but I'd opine the ACC has better undergrad programs, aside from Laville.
As you indicated, it is all about the money. The B1G understands this and focuses more on graduate programs and research because that is where the money is.
Notre Dame fans are incredulous when I say this, but I do not think that ND has the requisite academics to get a B1G invite. They look at ND's undergrad rankings and argue that ND would be one of the better academic schools in the B1G.
It isn't about undergrad rankings, it is about money and money comes from research. In that arena I believe that ND would be distantly last in the B1G.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2018, 11:43:14 AM »
Yeah, I recall that whenever we got a grant, the department would take some and the university would take quite a bit more.

It seemed logical because we were using university facilities of course.  They also had university grants to new professors who had to have some seed money to get started.

TyphonInc

• Starter
  • Easily Amused
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2018, 12:17:15 PM »
Which civil war lines?
1767 Mason Dixon line
1820 Missouri Compromise?
1850 Omnibus Compromise
1854 Kansas/Nebraska Act
1861 Civil War Start
1864 Civil War End
Missouri was a Union State do we get them from SEC? But they were a slave state do they stay South?
Virginia was a Southern State at the start of the War, but West Virginia became a state because of the War, where do we put WV?
Virginia was occupied basically the entire war, can we make them an honorary North Member? 

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.