header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Horns vs Terps

(Read 7950 times)

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
Horns vs Terps
« on: August 11, 2018, 12:26:55 PM »
Enough of this off season talk

Lets talk about something important like the Sept 1 game between Texas and Maryland

The Vegas line favors the Horns by 10 which surprises me

I have no idea what this years Horns team will be like

I just hope we arent embarrassed like last year
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: Horns vs Terps
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 03:14:31 PM »
A tale of two opposites.

Maryland wears stupid uniforms, has no history, is an unwelcomed newcomer to a conference whose members don’t even notice them, and has shellshocked players under the heels of a crazy demeaning coach who makes them eat shit sandwiches.

Meanwhile Texas wears traditional uniforms, has more history than recent success, is an undisputed anchor in a conference where everybody Hates them and needs them, and has historically soft pampered players playing for program that has always prided itself on taking the high road and doing things right - even to its own detriment.

So if there is a righteous God (and I believe there is) Texas will win.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 04:18:48 PM »
Maryland's interim HC is the guy who was our OC last year, Matt Canada.  Guess we'll see how he does now that he has no one but himself to butt heads with.  

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 10:54:17 AM »
Last season, a Texas offense that didn't improve much still stuck 41 points on Maryland. The defense, though, was still stuck in "what if my buddy makes a mistake mode" from 2016. They 2nd guessed their way to giving up 51 (with blocked kicks and other hilarity thrown in).
Safe to say, the Texas defense found their way. They learned to trust, and just like a Lifetime Movie, went on to find love.
Right now, the big story is the fallout to the tragic death in May of a Terp OL who, like the rest of the team, was subject to "training" techniques more associated with a drunken frat hazing than that of a degreed athletic trainer. The players were promised a different vibe when summer workouts started. It was apparently more of the same.
The coaching staff has been decimated at a time which should be the absolute worst. Now, then, two things could happen. The players could be so angry at the team that they fall completely apart. Else, they could be so overjoyed by the firings that they bond and play harder.
My short take is that I expect the players will rally around Matt Canada, but not quickly enough to prevail against an angry, athletic Texas defense and an renewed offense eager to take the plastic off its new TE kit.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 01:39:08 PM »
A tale of two opposites.

Maryland wears stupid uniforms, has no history, is an unwelcomed newcomer to a conference whose members don’t even notice them, and has shellshocked players under the heels of a crazy demeaning coach who makes them eat shit sandwiches.
Actually they were good once.  In the 50s.  OU played them in two Orange Bowls (and the '53 game could have gone either way):

http://soonerstats.com/football/opponents/details.cfm?oppid=79

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 04:37:07 PM »
Is Matt Canada related to Ron Mexico?

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 01:35:06 PM »
We can't lose to Maryland again.

Did Del Conte hire Herman?  Wait.. no he didn't.

As I said, Herman can't lose to Maryland again.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 12:38:42 PM »
But ya know, Maryland recruiting hasn't been too bad in recent years.  In rivals in 2018 for example, they were rated on par with Oklahoma State and Baylor.

But still, Texas should beat these guys.  They just really should.  Just like OU really should beat UCLA.  They just really should.  

Go XII teams! 

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 02:59:00 PM »
well, Texas should beat Okie State and Baylor
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 03:39:25 PM »
I used to take Texas wins against teams like Maryland, Baylor, and even Oklahoma State for granted.

No, not really, because I spent plenty of time watching the Horns during the dark ages of the late 80s and early 90s. 

We're pretty much back there again but I'm hopeful one day we'll be better.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 06:35:26 PM »
I think the Horns stick it to Maryland this time.  Guess we'll see.  

I thought so before current events, but situations like the one Maryland is in can be tricky, and what I see a lot of is when a team in UT's position can land that first punch in the mouth, no matter how much a team in Maryland's position is in "rally mode," their resolve does not tend to be so great.  UT may be flat out better, or they may not be but if they keep fighting I think the ball will eventually bounce their way and Maryland may not be up to responding.  If UT jumps out to an early lead, it could get ugly.  

I was reading on another thread in ELA's countdown of teams where 847Badger and some others seem to think we really messed up letting Canada go, and referred to him as "one of the top OC's in the country."  I would love to know what any of that is based on.  We got rid of him because just like the last 3 coaches he worked for, he couldn't get along with the HC.  He did pull off the miracle of making Pitt's Nathan Peterman look like an actual QB, so that's something.  His offense was not really anything different than what we've been doing forever, other than a lot more pre-snap motion.  It was good for freezing some LBs when you could catch them right, but it didn't fool any of the good defenses we played.  He was a "meh" playcaller and he was horrendous at red-zone concepts.  I mean, he wasn't bad by any stretch, but neither was he a clear improvement nor was he worth what we were paying him, especially considering he couldn't get along with half the staff, including his boss.  

I guess we'll see what he's got as the HC, but I'm hard pressed to find too much for Texas to worry about here.

Other than the fact that Texas has kinda sucked during certain of the last 8 seasons.  

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 11:09:18 AM »
Texas 31, Maryland 21

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 01:29:35 PM »
UT 42

Maryland 17
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 01:36:30 PM »
I am speechless at how bad this Texas team looks today.    :'(

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.