header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2018 OT Tourney (1st Round) - Conference Networks vs. Facilities Arms Race

(Read 3535 times)

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
SYSTEMIC CHANGES
End of TV monopoly
Recruiting coverage
Early NFL Draft entry
SYSTEM RULE CHANGES
Academic ineligibility
CFP
Conference championship games
GAME RULE CHANGES
OT
Narrower hashmarks
Tearaway jerseys banned
GAME PLAY CHANGES
Wishbone
SEC integration
Read option

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
I'll vote for the one that at least sort of helps even the playing field.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
I like conference networks (and single-school networks :) ) because they bring more sports to my television.

I dislike the resulting realignment moves that are made solely for the money-grab at television revenue.  That has harmed the sport severely over the last decade.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
I like conference networks (and single-school networks :) ) because they bring more sports to my television.

I dislike the resulting realignment moves that are made solely for the money-grab at television revenue.  That has harmed the sport severely over the last decade.
On one hand yes, but I don't know how much of that is due to the conference networks.  In fact, had conference networks been there earlier, I think we would have seen less realignment, jockeying for space in the conferences with the best national tv contracts.

Hell, the Big XII may only still exist because of the LHN

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
I like conference networks
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
On one hand yes, but I don't know how much of that is due to the conference networks.  In fact, had conference networks been there earlier, I think we would have seen less realignment, jockeying for space in the conferences with the best national tv contracts.

The combination of the conference networks and the cable subscriber model drove the B1G's desire for Rutgers and Maryland.  And it drove the SEC's desire for Texas A&M and Missouri.  In those cases, conference networks are the direct cause of the realignment activity that followed.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
The combination of the conference networks and the cable subscriber model drove the B1G's desire for Rutgers and Maryland.  And it drove the SEC's desire for Texas A&M and Missouri.  In those cases, conference networks are the direct cause of the realignment activity that followed.

I think they certainly drove which schools were targeted.  But I think had all conferences had networks earlier, you wouldn't have seen the same type of shuffle.  The Big Ten and then the SEC got the jump on everyone there.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
I think they certainly drove which schools were targeted.  But I think had all conferences had networks earlier, you wouldn't have seen the same type of shuffle.  The Big Ten and then the SEC got the jump on everyone there.
You're speculating, when all we know for certain is what actually happened.  I directly blame the conference networks and the money-grubbing conference executives for the choices that have ruined many things I liked about the sport.
But I still voted for it over the facilities arms race, because while conference (and individual school) networks have brought more content to the fans, the facilities arms race has done nothing but force the cost of attending live events to skyrocket.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:

That is for sure speculation. It could also be speculated that the Big 12 would exist as it did in 2010 if it had a full conference network, and no LHN.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
TV revenue is TV revenue

regardless of who owns the network

the grabbing of high demand content to drive up revenue was going to happen regardless what network the conference is negotiating with for a new contract
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
If Nebraska ever tried to get its own network, the presidents would see to it that they were booted from the partnership known as the Big Ten.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
true, but what if the Buckeyes or the Wolverines wanted their own network?

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Same thing. No school is greater than the whole. It works.

Do M and O get some advantages (as in TV coverage and ass kissing from Big Jim)?? Sure they do. But at the table of 14, they have no more of a vote than 1/14.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
TV revenue is TV revenue

regardless of who owns the network

the grabbing of high demand content to drive up revenue was going to happen regardless what network the conference is negotiating with for a new contract
The "in-footprint" cable subscriber model changed the calculus significantly.  Some of the B1G fans on this very site (and on this very thread) are some of the biggest opponents to what happened with Maryland and Rutgers.  My point is obvious, self-evident, substantiated, and vindicated by several long-time B1G fans around here.
Conference networks were directly responsible for many of the very bad things happening in college football in the past decade.  Anyone that's going to argue against me on that is... well... delusional, I guess.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.