header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Kinda OT: Saban and other slimeball coaches in the SEC tried to hire Hugh Freeze

(Read 3239 times)

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Bama and LSU were trying hardest, and were only shot down because the SEC Commish told them NOPE.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/report-sec-commissioner-discouraged-alabama-other-schools-from-hiring-hugh-freeze/

would be kinda funny if it wasn't true. unreal.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Like anything in life, CFB is due for a correction. 

Now, please.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Is Freeze thought to be some kind of football mastermind that someone wants to hire him?

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Is Freeze thought to be some kind of football mastermind that someone wants to hire him?
my guess is teams that tried hiring him were doing so for recruiting reasons moreso than for his football mind.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
my guess is teams that tried hiring him were doing so for recruiting reasons moreso than for his football mind.
He actually has a pretty good track record for turning teams around on offense. He seems to be a good recruiter, so long as he has the bag men behind him.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Obviously, were I HC, I wouldn't remotely contemplate hiring him no matter his "skills".  I was just curious as to why anyone else might, e.g., what his perceived skills were.  I can see recruiting, but that could bite you later of course.

I am surprised any HC thought about hiring him, certainly surprised Saban would consider it.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
I also would have thought the SEC commish might have made this very clear to everyone ahead of any efforts to enlist his aid anywhere.

This was not some minor single transgression, but something which appears to relate to both recruiting violations and personal ethics and morals, combined.

For me, no skill in coaching could offset those deficiencies, ever.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
we're talking about the SEC here

the more interesting point is that the SEC commish is actually taking the high road
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Well, if there's anyone that I think would be capable of putting someone like that in line, it's Saban. 

I'm pretty sure his pitch is something along the lines of "You're going to do things MY way and by the book, or Miss Terry is going to feed you to the dogs. I swear to you on my last breath the authorities will never find a body. That's what 'the process' means for my assistant coaches."

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
IF you adopt the consumptive ideology that 'winning is everything', then the guy is a good hire.  his antics recruiting aren't dirty because he wants them to be- he is obviously deficient in that regard else he wouldn't have to cheat- his ability to coach offense is as good as just about anyone's anywhere.  He's at least as good (if not better) as a Chip Kelly or a Lame Kitten.

if we had access to the data from the old CFN boards, you'd find that everyone in the SEC board realized he was cheating long before there was a shred of evidence.  you simply don't bring the players he was bringing w/o shenanigans- not from the start, anyway.  yeah, piling up some 3 stars and an occasional 4 isn't huge, and then migrating to mostly three stars, dashes of 4 stars, and sprinkles of 5 stars after program accreditation (wins) is conceivable, but NOT the way it was happening- it HAD to be something nefarious.  

now back to reality: I DON'T adopt 'winning is everything' where the wins are recorded on a scoreboard.  I damn sure like to win, but it should be a measure of cohesiveness and team effort, which if present the wins come along- if not, it's a struggle. like most of y'all here i want to see it happen within the confines of both rules and integrity- and like the position most of y'all seem to have taken, in my opinion that excludes Hugh Freeze from ever setting foot near a program i'd feel good about supporting. 

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
IF you adopt the consumptive ideology that 'winning is everything', then the guy is a good hire.  his antics recruiting aren't dirty because he wants them to be- he is obviously deficient in that regard else he wouldn't have to cheat- his ability to coach offense is as good as just about anyone's anywhere.  He's at least as good (if not better) as a Chip Kelly or a Lame Kitten. 
Well, that's the difference between Ole Miss and Alabama. At Ole Miss, you have to cheat to get the sort of recruits that he was getting. Jesus himself couldn't recruit Ole Miss the way Freeze was doing without cheating. At Alabama, that's not a problem.
For someone like Saban, he can look at this and say "I need an X's and O's guy. This program recruits itself. If his problems were recruiting-based, I can control him and make sure that's not a problem for my program." 
Saban has taken on Kiffin [attention whore], Sarkisian [drunk], and was shopping Freeze [cheater in recruiting and probably his marriage], with I'm sure the understanding that those antics wouldn't be tolerated at Alabama. But as long as they toe the line, he's willing to get he best coach available. 

HailHailMSP

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
I think behind the scenes Saban has taken a little bit of the role of messiah in rescuing coaches career's. And, rightfully why shouldn't he. He has a track record now with Sark and Kiff. They come in with clear marching orders and have a chip on their shoulder to prove themselves worthy again. That's a pretty good combo to have in assistant coach.

I get why Enos bailed on Michigan for Bama after a week. Look at the career trajectory for Bama assistant's, even ones that had previously been dispatched head coaches. It's a no brainer if they come calling and you are desperate to rescue your career. I am a little surprised he didn't grab Bielema too. Saban's NFL equivalent did though.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Well, that's the difference between Ole Miss and Alabama. At Ole Miss, you have to cheat to get the sort of recruits that he was getting. Jesus himself couldn't recruit Ole Miss the way Freeze was doing without cheating. At Alabama, that's not a problem.
For someone like Saban, he can look at this and say "I need an X's and O's guy. This program recruits itself. If his problems were recruiting-based, I can control him and make sure that's not a problem for my program."
Saban has taken on Kiffin [attention whore], Sarkisian [drunk], and was shopping Freeze [cheater in recruiting and probably his marriage], with I'm sure the understanding that those antics wouldn't be tolerated at Alabama. But as long as they toe the line, he's willing to get he best coach available.
we agree, then.  however, Ole Miss is a great place to be that has a history and allure a lot of other schools don't have.  even through a load of marginal seasons they have maintained the prestige of being one of the best places to experience a game in the country.  gotta give them that.  with a few good seasons (relative) they could absolutely start to bring in better components, and become a power.  their potential is massive.  similar to UGA prior to Smart, it makes a person aware of their upside consider 'why aren't they a power?'... 
akin to the Kennedy's, though- they were set to climb the ladder via breaking the rules(laws).. instead of running booze during prohibition, they planned on stocking the benches with ponies corralled illegally.  they meet the same ends, ultimately, and there is little difference in the minds of people who justify the means by the ends.  

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Who hired Bielema? I haven't heard anything about him lately.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.