header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: OT: NYC

(Read 5594 times)

GopherRock

• Starter
  • Liked:
OT: NYC
« on: April 09, 2018, 10:54:37 PM »
So the lady and I are going to be spending this upcoming weekend in Manhattan. She's there for a work conference, and I'm tagging along. We've got a rough itinerary planned out, but we're both open to suggestions. I'd love to hear any of your must-dos

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: OT: NYC
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 01:14:31 AM »
How about must don'ts?  :)
You should have beautiful weather.  Mets are only team in town for the weekend.  Where are you staying?  That can influence matters significantly.  I like the City in measured doses.

I'd never send anybody to Times Square, or the Empire State Building.  I just don't think either are worth the hassle/cost/enjoyment.  Times Square?  It's mildly more interesting than Rockefeller Center and the boobs who stand by the window at 7 am of the Today Show.  See the Statue?  sure,  there are ways to do it, via a Boat tour perhaps if that interests you.  I prefer more discrete, less obvious NYC experiences.  My lone exception is probably the Met, and if time allows Central Park. (conveniently the Met sits on the East perimeter of the Park).   Don't eat at Peter Lugar's unless you want your steak sliced for you like you're seven years old.    Katz' (East Houston St.) would be OK, if you really have to do a signature tourist trappy restaurant, if you must have pastrami on rye for $20 or whatever.   Hard to give restaurant tips, as reservations may be tough to manage, based on your time/schedule etc.

Most of my trips to NYC are business, so I've got a lot of miles on my feet walking around downtown/financial district.  It used to be a ghost town at night and weekends, but I think it is picking up interest.  If nothing else, visiting the WTC site.  I usually stay at one of the hotels next door to WTC (on Church St on the east) or Albany St. to the south, so I've seen that whole site at every stage since about '04.  It is quite a visual, and I still have yet to visit the official Memorial.   It's also fun to walk around SoHo and Greenwich Village and visit shops and what not.  It's a much more laid back spot in Manhattan relative to Midtown.  Further north of the Village is the Highline and Hudson Yards project, which that project is HUGE.  I haven't been up there in a couple years, but people love boasting about the Highline.

I still try to hit a spot in Chinatown every visit, which isn't far, (from downtown) and of course has taken over Little Italy (pro tip: there really isn't a Little Italy anymore in NYC, the Italians have long since moved all over the place). Some damn good meals to be had in Chinatown, I only know the places by sight and led in by locals.

As you no doubt know, Brooklyn is where all the cool kids live.  It truly is the Wal-Mart of counterculture.  It can be fun too, though as with Manhattan, there's a helluva lot of different neighborhoods.  I have a limited rolodex of ideas.

Midtown is busy, crowded with tourists, think a busier, more expensive Michigan Ave. (Chicago).  East Village is also full of people who are cool for a living (many it turns out are from Ohio).   I jest a bit, but the point really is there are a lot of different experiences you can have in NYC on a weekend.  Just know that $20 will fly out of your pocket about every 30 minutes or so.

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 08:20:17 AM »
Where are you staying?  I enjoyed walking across the Brooklyn Bridge when the weather was nice last February believe it or not.  When we are there we mostly just walk around and see interesting things.  My step daughter lives in Brooklyn and my daughter used to live there, so we've been a fair bit to Brooklyn and Manhattan.

The wife said Ellis Island was interesting but I was not on that trip with her.

Times Square to me is hardly anything to see.

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 08:38:09 AM »

Upstate NY is really scenic and nice. 

Lawn Guy-land probably is too. 

NYC has way too many eye-soles per square foot for my liking, but they do have funny accents. 
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 08:43:54 AM »
It's a good idea to learn what SOHO and TRIBECA and DUMBO mean.  

Part of our reason for moving to midtown ATL is that the area is somewhat similar to Manhattan/lower Brooklyn without being as jammed with folks.

https://www.nycgo.com/itineraries/one-day-dumbo-brooklyn

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 09:54:05 AM »
I've only been once for a couple days.  We stayed in Brooklyn near Sunset Park and my favorite part was just walking around Sunset Park (a heavily Hispanic neighborhood).  We also hit Times Square and Coney Island.  Of course, my kids were 1 and 3 - nothing like pushing the double stroller around the subway and all through New York.  

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 10:03:53 AM »

The amount of people that they can cram pack into Coney Island is just unbelievable. 

GopherRock

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 10:30:44 AM »
We're staying near the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel, W 40th St. 

We've got a rough idea of an itinerary for each day, but intentionally have it loose:

Friday: Battery, Ground Zero, NYSE, Staten Island ferry. We have tickets to a show tonight.

Saturday: Central Park, Brooklyn, Williamsburg, Manhattan Bridges

Sunday: Rockefeller Center 

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 11:13:50 AM »
That sounds fine.

I enjoy walking around especially if the weather is nice.  Just walking is interesting, they may have street fairs on Broadway or somewhere that are really fun for me.

I resist "checking boxes" to see as much as I can on a trip.

I've never been to the Louvre for example.

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 11:20:01 AM »
You'll get a great view of the Statue of Liberty from the Ferry.  Marq may not like it, but I love Katz's.  Yes it is like $20 for a Pastrami sandwich but the sandwich is like 6" tall or more so you get a LOT of food.  

I like duck so I love getting a duck dinner in Chinatown but don't look at the fat content in duck, yikes!  

The 9/11 memorial is moving.  

Hang on to your wallet, and your coat, and your hat, and everything else.  NYC is MUCH nicer/safer now than it was back in the early/mid 90's when I went for the first time but it is still an area with lots of people and lots of pickpockets.  

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 11:51:05 AM »
Katz's is good, I like it, but I also have an elite deli in my Indy hood here which is everybit as good as Katz's.   Plus they don't have the really stupid ticket ordering system that Katz has.   I just don't make it a habit to wait on line for things like a sandwich.

Agree, NYC is light years safer nowadays, Manhattan is Disneyland for grown ups, though it is undeniable,  post Bloomberg, things are becoming unsavory again.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 12:03:29 PM »
When in a major city, I carry a wallet in back pocket that is old and filled with paper and a small wallet in my front pocket that has one credit card and some cash.

NYC is very safe in general these days.  I've been accosted numerous times in Paris by pickpockets who try and distract you often with some fairly attractive young lady while another one picks your pocket.

If you spend a few hours in Paris, it will happen to you, guaranteed, unless you are way away from downtown.  I've never been robbed but I've been "approached" many times.

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 12:07:17 PM »
Katz's is good, I like it, but I also have an elite deli in my Indy hood here which is everybit as good as Katz's.   Plus they don't have the really stupid ticket ordering system that Katz has.   I just don't make it a habit to wait on line for things like a sandwich.

Agree, NYC is light years safer nowadays, Manhattan is Disneyland for grown ups, though it is undeniable,  post Bloomberg, things are becoming unsavory again.
I'm not a fan of Katz's ridiculous ticket system either but as packed as they are I do understand it.  
I was going to point out the Dinkins/Giuliani/Bloomberg/de Blasio change but I didn't want to get too political.  That said, I agree 100% and I hope they get back on track before it goes back to 1990's level filth.  

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 12:22:25 PM »

So what exactly are the rewards that match or exceed the numerous drawbacks (long lines, crazy traffic, huge crowds, insanely high cost, dodging muggers, cold or humid weather, etc)? 

Just curious. Never really understood the appeal. 

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.