header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Blue Blood Chart

(Read 11759 times)

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Blue Blood Chart
« on: January 15, 2018, 09:50:24 AM »
A guy over on Reddit made this chart for "Blue Blood" schools.  Pretty cool.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
Re: Blue Blood Chart
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 02:11:04 PM »
Love it CG!

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 04:07:13 PM »
:s_cool:
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 06:04:17 PM »
Without Matt here to defend the Pokes, I feel a bit guilty in saying this, but still ... this is why Sooner fans have a lil' trouble taking Bedlam seriously, at least when it comes to football.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 06:24:22 PM »
What would be interesting is to see how many weeks each team has spent in the OVER rated column.

You know, like ND and such. They and others almost always start the season highly ranked and then... <<crickets>>

It's a self-fulfilling thing. Helmets gonna helmet.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 06:36:07 PM »
be interesting to see weeks in the top 10, top 5 and ranked #1

it doesn't change too much, but might weed out some of the "overrated"
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

ftbobs

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 10:57:09 PM »
be interesting to see weeks in the top 10, top 5 and ranked #1

it doesn't change too much, but might weed out some of the "overrated"
Honestly, "weeks in" is less significant than "years finished".   I've seen teams be in the AP poll for 15 weeks and finish unranked, while some teams have their only time in the poll be the final one.  Notre Dame, USC, Texas, Ohio State and Texas are big on starting higher than they finish.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 07:09:54 AM »
^^

That's what I was getting at.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 09:05:13 AM »
The chart is based on AP polls so it is a matter of perception rather than facts such as number of wins, championships, etc.  Still, the sample size is large enough to be pretty realistic and staying in the top 5 is difficult unless a team 0-1 losses.

As far as "overrated", saying a school finishes lower than they started just means the AP voters got their preseason guesses wrong.  A big factor in their guesses is the previous history of the helmet schools so there is some circular reference going on there.

ftbobs

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 09:45:18 AM »
The chart is based on AP polls so it is a matter of perception rather than facts such as number of wins, championships, etc.  Still, the sample size is large enough to be pretty realistic and staying in the top 5 is difficult unless a team 0-1 losses.

As far as "overrated", saying a school finishes lower than they started just means the AP voters got theirs preseason guesses wrong.  A big factor in their guesses is the previous history of the helmet schools so there is some circular reference going on there.

It's a lot easier to stay in the top 5, if you are in the top 5 to begin with.  Notre Dame has been in the top 5 98 teams when the AP voters "guessed wrong".  Alabama 111 times.  Ohio State 124 times.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 12:22:18 PM »
Honestly, "weeks in" is less significant than "years finished".   I've seen teams be in the AP poll for 15 weeks and finish unranked, while some teams have their only time in the poll be the final one.  Notre Dame, USC, Texas, Ohio State and Texas are big on starting higher than they finish.
Honestly, "weeks in" is less significant than "years finished".   I've seen teams be in the AP poll for 15 weeks and finish unranked, while some teams have their only time in the poll be the final one.  Notre Dame, USC, Texas, Ohio State and Texas are big on starting higher than they finish.
occurances in the "final" poll would be very good
but, then the sample size goes way down

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 05:54:32 PM »
ftbobs.  Damn glad to see you.   I remember you from a bygone forum.   I was probably JCG or Hooky Hornstein back then.  I have to keep changing my identity to keep Shiner from stalking me.

ftbobs

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 07:23:29 PM »
ftbobs.  Damn glad to see you.   I remember you from a bygone forum.   I was probably JCG or Hooky Hornstein back then.  I have to keep changing my identity to keep Shiner from stalking me.
Oh, I remember "Hooky".  Didn't realize you existed in other forms, though I know what you mean about Shiner.  I try to keep on his good side.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 08:04:05 PM »
speaking of good sides... 

Mr. Bobs- I sent you an email on Sunday I think it was... 

need to know the version of PHP you used when you wrote the scripts for your page, along with the version of mysql- i have you your very own dedicated server- physical server, that is, not a VPS.  this will get you back online with a quickness, and we can go from there.  

it's discussions like the one in this thread that make me miss the product you provided us!!!!!!!!

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.