header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Michigan State 2018 Season Thread

(Read 14544 times)

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Michigan State 2018 Season Thread
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2018, 05:17:47 PM »
3rd down defense needs to get cleaned up. Looking at the conference stats, MSU is last in the conference, allowing opponents to convert 44.8% of their 3rd downs. Only Nebraska (who has played 1 game) is surrendering more 1st downs per game than MSU, meaning a lot of extended drives, which may play a part in the 4th quarter. Not only have they allowed 49 first downs through two games, a staggering 36 of those are through the air (8 on the ground, 5 via penalty). Only 5 other Big Ten teams have allowed even half of that (18) through the air, and none have allowed more than 24.

DevilFroggy

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2018, 08:33:53 PM »
I'm not.
Damn Big Ten refs, not calling a penalty on a player who was pushed into the punter.
I thought I settled my debts that night on the ride home
But I have still got hell to pay

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2018, 08:48:07 AM »
Damn Big Ten refs, not calling a penalty on a player who was pushed into the punter.
Yes, Big Ten refs, it wasn't some screw job.  But it also wasn't a pushed player who ran into him, it was the outside guy.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2018, 12:14:36 PM »
It could have been the right call, though, right? Not for "football justice" and how the rules *should* be written but in terms of how the rule book is written. I feel like it couldn't have been a liveball foul. Which dead ball foul would apply? Not unnecessary roughness. And I think think the convention for late hits after early whistles is that there's a judgment call, and in this case, the hit came quickly enough after the whistle that it's in that gray area. 
I will say this, though. If Hartbarger hadn't punted it away (had he just hugged the ball and stood tall), it might have reinforced the sound of the whistle and he'd likely have gone unhit ... and if he had been hit anyway, *that* almost certainly would have been whistled. 

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2018, 10:46:42 AM »
Seems like more people are figuring out what seemingly only Pat Fitzgerald and MSU fans had.  You can dink and dunk us to death.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2018/09/15/michigan-state-football-pass-defense/1306989002/

iahawk15

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2018, 11:15:34 AM »
Seems like more people are figuring out what seemingly only Pat Fitzgerald and MSU fans had.  You can dink and dunk us to death.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2018/09/15/michigan-state-football-pass-defense/1306989002/
Ha, welcome to the last 20 years of my life!

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2018, 03:20:33 PM »
All three MSU opponents are averaging over 200 yards rushing per game, with Arizona State running for only 165 last night at Washington.

MSU has surrendered 98 rushing yards to those teams...TOTAL 

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2018, 04:29:45 PM »
Run D is definitely the strength of the team.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2018, 04:31:15 PM »
This probably seems cheeky as a follow-up, but I'm curious and you're probably the best go-to source out there for non-spreadsheet MSU details:

The OL injury situation, what's it at?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 02:51:20 PM by Anonymous Coward »

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2018, 04:56:13 PM »
No word on the two who went out last night.  I missed it but Chewins came in for a play and went right back out.  Second straight game he's tried one play and couldn't go.  Sounds like it's a back injury, which can be tricky.  I wonder if they just shut him down for the season soon.

PortlandSpartan

• Recruit
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2018, 02:28:39 PM »
Team has lacked juice so far.  Defense looks pretty good - very happy with front 7.  Offensive line and running game has been bad.

I'm not sure we've have any truly great OLs under MD, but the ones that have been good to very good have taken awhile.  So we'll see.

Disappointed a bit with Lewerke so far; don't see clear progression in accuracy and we've been hesitant to use his athleticism.

PortlandSpartan

• Recruit
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2018, 08:37:06 PM »
Cody White broke his hand today. 

We are in very rough shape. 

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2018, 09:58:01 PM »
We exclusively have very good or very bad injury luck.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2018, 04:18:55 PM »
Sounds like Josiah Scott MIGHT be good for the Michigan game.  But that's iffy.  If not there, you have 5 games, plus potentially the CCG and a bowl game.  You have Nebraska and Rutgers mixed in those 3.  If he can't go for Michigan, do you sit him for Nebraska and Rutgers, and just play him for Purdue, Maryland, Ohio State and the bowl game, and allow him to preserve his redshirt?  Interesting change with that rule, that Scott could play in those games, and come back next year as a redshirt sophomore.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.