header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2019 Senseless Recruiting Jibberish

(Read 43016 times)

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: 2019 Senseless Recruiting Jibberish
« Reply #378 on: December 05, 2018, 06:37:19 PM »
I think STARZ!! are better for guys playing WR, QB, LB, CB and (possibly) S. Much of that is related to speed, which can't be coached. The trench positions and RB (and maybe S) are where the services seem to miss the most on STARZ!!
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #379 on: December 05, 2018, 06:40:15 PM »
I think OL is a lot more of a predictor for RB success than STARZ!

Is Jonathan Taylor the "best" RB in the country? Always tough to tell, because the Wisconsin system and OL will make pedestrian RBs look good, good RBs look great, and great RBs look outstanding. 

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #380 on: December 05, 2018, 11:04:24 PM »
I think OL is a lot more of a predictor for RB success than STARZ!

Is Jonathan Taylor the "best" RB in the country? Always tough to tell, because the Wisconsin system and OL will make pedestrian RBs look good, good RBs look great, and great RBs look outstanding.
Agree 100%. 
Bama is a great example of this as well. They’ve been a plug and play system for RBs just because their OL’s and run system was so great. Trent and Derrick Henry were all-time great in college. Not so much in the NFL.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #381 on: December 05, 2018, 11:05:02 PM »
Purdue was late in the running for Wandale when he chose Kentucky. I don't think we were ever a favorite, but we made the final 5 and got an OV. The analysts would have creamed themselves if he'd ended up on the same team as Rondale.
Really hoping that David Bell chooses Purdue. 247 has him 90% crystal ball to Purdue, and he plans to make his announcement at the Army All-American Game.
Bell is a Purdue lock.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #382 on: December 05, 2018, 11:09:21 PM »
I think STARZ!! are better for guys playing WR, QB, LB, CB and (possibly) S. Much of that is related to speed, which can't be coached. The trench positions and RB (and maybe S) are where the services seem to miss the most on STARZ!!
Disagree on the RB position and STARZ. Typically the 5*’s backs pan out at a high rate. Look back through the rankings, they typically nail those more than the other positions.
Completely disagree on QBs and LBs and the STARZ. Those positions are as much of a crap shoot as OL. Those 3 positions are basically worthless when it comes to STARZ gazing. Just so much about playing QB you don’t know till he’s out there doing it at this level. LBs are so hit and miss because it’s such an instinct based position and speed really doesn’t matter as much as play recognition, awareness, instinct, shedding blockers.  

EastAthens

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #383 on: December 06, 2018, 12:20:51 AM »
Todd Gurley, Nick Chubb, Sony Michel and D'Andre Swift were all 5 stars who played like 5 stars.  Zamir White is the latest but he tore his ACL last summer.  By all accounts, he is the next star here.

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #384 on: December 06, 2018, 10:49:43 AM »
System fit also matters....  you can be a 5 star and not fit in a system.   On average, stars indicate talent level/potential.   At the micro or individual level, they mean little.  

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #385 on: December 06, 2018, 11:18:01 AM »
Disagree on the RB position and STARZ. Typically the 5*’s backs pan out at a high rate. Look back through the rankings, they typically nail those more than the other positions.  
I started with 2015. I'm not seeing what you're seeing at RB. They did pretty good in 2014 though.
They are doing a little better on the hit rate with 5* QB's than with RB. QB is getting screwy though, with all the transfers and stuff.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #386 on: December 06, 2018, 12:12:03 PM »
the services giving out starz get lucky sometimes

they aren't always wrong
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #387 on: December 06, 2018, 02:41:18 PM »
Sounds like MSU's Plan B at QB after losing Dwan Mathis to OSU (despite the fake story about them trying to flip BC commit Sam Johnson) is Naperville, IL's Payton Thorne, who committed to WMU over NC State, but who MSU offered this week.

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #388 on: December 06, 2018, 08:05:02 PM »
4 star LB Tommy Eichenberg commits to the Bucks out of Cleveland

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #389 on: December 07, 2018, 01:38:47 AM »
If you add DL (probably one of the service's strongest correlations to All-American and NFL draft status), I'm sure you're right.
But saying that the recruiting services having a stronger star correlation for those positions isn't the same thing as saying that there is no correlation for OL and RB. There's a positive correlation for every position. Unsurprisingly, it varies. Making OL and RB predictive but more weakly than is typical.
So for *every* position, absent more reliable inside info, you should always bet on the recruiting services. That there are exceptions is beside the point. Most often, STARZ come out on top.
Except for Wisconsin.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:41:31 AM by Anonymous Coward »

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #390 on: December 07, 2018, 08:50:38 AM »
Well, outside of the services, I like to rely on coaches I trust. Camp or late-bloomer offers from guys like Don Brown, for example, are huge. Dantonio excels there too. It's not just UW. Iowa does well. NU too.

There are a lot of kids out there who don't shine on film until they are seniors. For them, it's too late to get to 4/5 STARZ!! status, but it's not too late for them to get big offers and play like STARZ!! in college.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Liked:
« Reply #391 on: December 07, 2018, 08:57:47 AM »
Somebody somewhere has probably done a correlation between STARZ and rankings 3-4 year down the road.

I'm guessing it's a pretty good correlation with some obvious outliers.

FSU might be an example lately of one, an "anti-Wiscons" as it were.

Army did well this year.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.