header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2019 Senseless Recruiting Jibberish

(Read 42860 times)

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: 2019 Senseless Recruiting Jibberish
« Reply #294 on: September 17, 2018, 12:32:22 PM »
Omaha Burke tight end Chris Hickman has committed to the Huskers, giving Nebraska a clean sweep of the state’s top five seniors. 
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #295 on: September 17, 2018, 01:33:11 PM »
Damn, Creighton strikes out again!

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #296 on: September 18, 2018, 10:35:41 PM »
Michigan reeled in a big fish.

5* Daxton Hill (Oklah.) is the composite #1 safety in the country, #12 overall. 

Position of need, too. Now they just have to keep on keeping him from Bama like they have so far. If they do, it's a big deal for Michigan.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #297 on: September 19, 2018, 07:30:50 PM »
can't stress how HUGE of a pick-up Daxton Hill is. He's a 5*, top 10 player nationally and the #1 safety. Freak athlete. Ran a laser timed 4.3 flat at The Opening at 6'1.5 and 187 pounds. Vertical leaped 44" as well. Could play CB or FS. He is exactly the type of athlete that Don Brown needs at safety- seeing as how Brown leaves his free safety in man coverage for basically 99% of the defensive snaps.

Michigan hasn't landed a safety prospect this good since Jabrill Peppers in that 2014 class. Hill has that same kind of talent. Future 1st round pick just like Peppers.

Michigan also has a really good shot at maybe the #1 player in the country in Zach Harrison. Harrison is an absolute freak. 6'5+, 240+ and runs a 4.47. Laser timed at The Opening. They pull that off- holy cow would the have quite the defensive 5* trifecta. They'd have the most freakish weakside DE prospect in the land, the most freakish SDE prospect in Chris Hinton Jr., and the most freakish safety prospect in Dax Hill. Now that's how you build a defense.

edit: btw- with Hill's commitment it pushes Michigan up to #7th ranked class in the nation in the 247Composite and #1 in the B1G. The class is currently ranked #4 in the nation in 247's own rankings.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:07:52 PM by Mdot21 »

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #298 on: September 19, 2018, 08:27:34 PM »
I think Michigan has a good shot at Harrison (DE) and maybe Keegan (OT). If they do that and add one worthy WR, then all our hand-wringing about this class will look preposterously stupid. Because that class'll have met all the expectations.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #299 on: September 19, 2018, 08:30:25 PM »
As for Daxton, I know Peppers was Michigan's last safety recruit with a profile like this (of course, Jabrill's was shinier), but they are such different players. Jabrill was always meant to be near the LOS and be a death merchant for runs and bubble screens. Daxton's game is more about defending the pass at all levels of the secondary. More like Minkah Fitzpatrick in terms of category.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #300 on: September 19, 2018, 09:08:16 PM »
I think Michigan has a good shot at Harrison (DE) and maybe Keegan (OT). If they do that and add one worthy WR, then all our hand-wringing about this class will look preposterously stupid. Because that class'll have met all the expectations.
really starting to think they just might land Harrison. He seems like a kid who hates the spotlight and who marches to the beat of his own drum. I think all that pressure to go down the road to Ohio State really wears on him and he might just want to get away from it all.
Steve Witflong- one of the top recruiting guys over at 247 just put up a crystal ball for Keegan to Georgia.
Michigan is still right there with a lot of top kids. But they're going to have to prove it on the field to land them. 5* ATH Qauavaris Crouch and 5* WR Kyle Ford are both ones to watch. Michigan has a big season- they could very easily land both of those kids. They are right there for both of them. 8-4 isn't going to cut it though. They need a 10-2 or 11-1 season and to be in the B1G conference title and playoff hunt. They have that kind of season- they probably become the outright favorite for Crouch.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #301 on: September 19, 2018, 09:20:53 PM »
As for Daxton, I know Peppers was Michigan's last safety recruit with a profile like this (of course, Jabrill's was shinier), but they are such different players. Jabrill was always meant to be near the LOS and be a death merchant for runs and bubble screens. Daxton's game is more about defending the pass at all levels of the secondary. More like Minkah Fitzpatrick in terms of category.
Hill is closer to Peppers in ranking than Fitzpatrick in terms of HS recruit rankings. Peppers was the #3 player in the 2014 class 247Composite, Fitzpatrick was the #30 player in the 2015 class in the 247Composite. Hill is the #12 ranked player in the 2019 class 247Composite rankings.
In terms of skill sets- they are all very different. Peppers was 5'11, 215, explosive, muscular. In that legit 4.4 speed range. Better suited for box safety- not the best coverage skills. Honestly might've been better in HS as a RB than DB. Freak athlete. He's more suited to be a box safety in run support and blitzing the QB and dropping into zone coverage than he is to play deep field safety or be in man coverage.
Fitzpatrick- 6'0, 205, maybe not as explosive but better ball skills and coverage skills than Peppers but still not the greatest man coverage skills. In that legit 4.5 speed range.
Daxton Hill is 6'1.5", 187 and 4.3 flat speed with a 44 inch vertical. All combine verified. Athletically he is superior to both. He's taller, longer, and faster than either of them. In all honesty the kid should be ranked higher than #12 in the composite. Rivals and ESPN are screwing up his ranking. He's #12 in the composite but 247's own rankings have him at #8. And that seems like a more accurate ranking when you take into account the kind of insane measurables he brings to the position. Hill is taller, longer, has a higher vertical, and better recovery speed and man coverage ability than either of those guys did coming out of high school.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #302 on: September 19, 2018, 11:28:34 PM »
With scout crashing and ESPN still fire-and-forgetting on 3/4 of the country (giving an early Soph/Junior ranking, maybe not even an article and then never returning with a follow-up thought), we're getting close to the point where the 247 rank is more valuable than the composite.

247 clearly puts in the most work, and in follow-up rankings for Michigan players 247 again seems the best predictor, but even if the other services are consistently crappier, i have to stick with the composite because I have a lot of respect for the idea of avoiding even the *appearance* of cherry-picking the ranking that best serves one's argument.

Except for that sticking point, I fully agree with you.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #303 on: September 19, 2018, 11:35:19 PM »
Most helmet school fans prefer 247 rankings.

I believe when comparing 5 stars to NFL drafts and class rankings to eventual team rankings, Rivals has still consistently come out on top.

Anything other than the composite ranking is cherry picking IMO.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 11:37:42 PM by ELA »

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #304 on: September 19, 2018, 11:51:34 PM »

I believe when comparing 5 stars to NFL drafts and class rankings to eventual team rankings, Rivals has still consistently come out on top.

Rivals has been around since the beginning of the internet ranking sites. Their rankings go all the way back to like 2000.

247 is pretty much brand new. I think their first rankings go back to 2012. Started by guys who used to work at Rivals. They also merged with Scout. I honestly think they are the gold standard now in that field. They've lapsed Rivals by a pretty wide margin imo.

I liked the Composite, but it's definitely lost some of it's value now that Scout is no more and ESPN has pretty much slashed the budget to zero for their recruiting website. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see ESPN just quit doing it with the way that company is hemorrhaging cash.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #305 on: September 20, 2018, 12:08:04 AM »

Your bottom line is how I feel and I'll be steadfast about that for sake of minimizing bias. Still, it's fair to say the composite is weakening. However, I wasn't aware of helmets being more pro-247 and non-helmets being more pro- ... rivals/espn/either?

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #306 on: September 20, 2018, 12:14:10 AM »
247 has always had the strongest commit bump correlation.  They are all subscriber driven models, it's not Consumer Reports.  As far as I can tell, there's zero correlation between accuracy and subscribers, so for the newest kid on the block, they needed to attract subscribers from the biggest fan bases to stay afloat.

Personally I've flipped from Rivals to 247 simply for the composite and better interface.  I think the MSU writers are better at 247 than Rivals, but I'm guessing that varies school to school

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #307 on: September 20, 2018, 10:30:36 AM »
I subscribe to 247 and Rivals. Dropped my ESecPN subscription. They suck.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.