header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.

(Read 211267 times)

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
Re: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.
« Reply #630 on: September 02, 2018, 10:22:31 PM »
Belated hello Gigem.  Wish you guys were still in the XII.  OU-A&M had begun to develop into some serious rivalry material after all those annual games against each other.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #631 on: September 02, 2018, 11:53:59 PM »
Got to tell you that OU really had our # during the Bob Stoops Era in our Big 12 days.  I was happy to see A&M put a beatdown on OU in that Cotton Bowl.

After A&M won the Big 12 in 1998 I thought we were poised for great things but we quickly descended into mediocrity and most of the blame/credit goes to Bob Stoops and OU.  I know that Texas had our number during this time as well but I think losing so many recruiting battles to OU during this time is what really set us back.  Usually a guy headed to Texas would have been headed there anyway but with OU they took a lot of talent that would have otherwise gone to A&M and I believe that is really what set the program back.  OU built great facilities in the 90's years before ours even made the drawing board and then once Stoops got there all the pieces were in place for championship football and they stayed on top for 20+ years.  Shoot, even when we beat OU (2010) they still managed to squeak in ahead of us to the B12 CCG.  I still to this day cannot fathom or figure out 77-0 but in hindsight the school should have fired Fran when he got off the plane that day.  

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #632 on: September 03, 2018, 12:31:10 AM »
I remember when he was born, but I forget which board we were still posting on at the time.  Seems like it was about the time when you taunted the badmitton players board with smack talk?  That was seriously comedy genius.  NKOBMT (Notorious King of BadMitton Trash)!!

Very kind of you to remember the kid.
Yep, I have four & I love them all equally but differently but this one was destined for a football future. Not only was he named James, he was conceived during halftime of the Cotton Bowl.
I remember it like it was yesterday.
I wasn’t at the Cotton Bowl but I was watching it on TV.  And I was sad.  Major wasn’t himself and Arkansas had our number.
My i s c & a w put the two older ones down for naps and traipsed into the living room wearing nothing but a black teddy with red ribbons.   She had a Butterfinger candy bar twirling in her hands and she asked me if I’d like to earn a bite or two.
Fun times.
Whenever that kid is a bonehead I try to remember how hard I worked for that candy bar and how much love I put into his momma that day.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #633 on: September 03, 2018, 03:34:47 AM »
Very kind of you to remember the kid.
Yep, I have four & I love them all equally but differently but this one was destined for a football future. Not only was he named James, he was conceived during halftime of the Cotton Bowl.
I remember it like it was yesterday.
I wasn’t at the Cotton Bowl but I was watching it on TV.  And I was sad.  Major wasn’t himself and Arkansas had our number.
My i s c & a w put the two older ones down for naps and traipsed into the living room wearing nothing but a black teddy with red ribbons.   She had a Butterfinger candy bar twirling in her hands and she asked me if I’d like to earn a bite or two.
Fun times.
Whenever that kid is a bonehead I try to remember how hard I worked for that candy bar and how much love I put into his momma that day.
LOL now I remember why I remember.  JCG you've always had a good story to tell.  

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #634 on: September 03, 2018, 11:08:38 AM »
If we had not run off Mizzou, A&M, CU and Nebraska .....  :smiley_confused1:

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #635 on: September 03, 2018, 11:17:06 AM »
you'd have a guaranteed win each year with the Huskers
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #636 on: September 03, 2018, 12:30:29 PM »
It’s possible that the misery Texas finds itself in is the ECFGs still punishing us for DeLoss Dodds’ hubris.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #637 on: September 03, 2018, 06:19:27 PM »
It’s possible that the misery Texas finds itself in is the ECFGs still punishing us for DeLoss Dodds’ hubris.

ECFGs are not letting go till LHN is 6 ft under.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #638 on: September 03, 2018, 06:51:02 PM »
ECFGs are not letting go till LHN is 6 ft under
Explain ECFG's?

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #639 on: September 03, 2018, 11:05:51 PM »
Only JCG can do the ECFG (evil capricious football gods) explanation Justice.  In fact he may have invented the whole idea.  

But as far as Texas and what they did to offend them, I have my own hypotheses, but I’ll keep them to myself as it could open a can of worms hereabouts.  I’ll just let the Allmans sum it up (as they reprise a classic Elmore James tune):

https://youtu.be/pZYwihuiQYs

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #640 on: September 03, 2018, 11:15:04 PM »
Got to tell you that OU really had our # during the Bob Stoops Era in our Big 12 days.  I was happy to see A&M put a beatdown on OU in that Cotton Bowl.

After A&M won the Big 12 in 1998 I thought we were poised for great things but we quickly descended into mediocrity and most of the blame/credit goes to Bob Stoops and OU.  I know that Texas had our number during this time as well but I think losing so many recruiting battles to OU during this time is what really set us back.  Usually a guy headed to Texas would have been headed there anyway but with OU they took a lot of talent that would have otherwise gone to A&M and I believe that is really what set the program back.  OU built great facilities in the 90's years before ours even made the drawing board and then once Stoops got there all the pieces were in place for championship football and they stayed on top for 20+ years.  Shoot, even when we beat OU (2010) they still managed to squeak in ahead of us to the B12 CCG.  I still to this day cannot fathom or figure out 77-0 but in hindsight the school should have fired Fran when he got off the plane that day.  
That’s quite a generous take on things and it makes me remember how much I enjoyed Aggie posters like you and bonfired back in the early days of this little old porch community.  
Most of those Aggie-Sooner games in the XII were nail biting affairs, aside from that one blowout you mentioned, and then the Cotton Bowl with JFF, ugh, what a pantsing.  
You guys will have that scoreboard until we finally meet again!  Belated kudos, gigem.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #641 on: September 04, 2018, 02:20:22 AM »
I actually had beers with Bonfired (Will?) one day at the dixie chicken.  Which to my dismay is the only person I've ever met from the boards.  Wonder where he disappeared to?  

ECFG is nowhere near the description for any troubles Texas has had for the last few years.  They had a very, very good run and won one MNC and came damn close to winning 2 or 3 more.  Heck, Bob Stoops only won one in the same time period although they were a better overall program.  

Still waiting for A&M to play up to it's potential.  I'll know we've got there when we win 10+ games a year for 2-3 years.  I envision A&M being the "Clemson" of the SEC.  I pick Clemson because they are "never had's " in CFB.  Good years followed by mediocre years punctuated by a 10 win season every decade or so.  Close but no cigar until they found the right mix.  
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:23:55 AM by Gigem »

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #642 on: September 04, 2018, 10:19:22 AM »
I'm quite certain the Horns troubles started when they made the deal with the Devil to go 9-1 vs the Huskers when the Big 12 was formed
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #643 on: September 04, 2018, 12:30:04 PM »
I had a very decent hamburger at the Dixie Chicken on a bidness trip several months ago.   It was a very interesting place, full of history and charm.

But, you know... it was also quite sticky.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.