header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: You Know What I Hate....?

(Read 82773 times)

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: You Know What I Hate....?
« Reply #504 on: July 13, 2018, 01:58:17 PM »
I enjoyed Sound City....saw it on Amazon I think.  I was kinda jealous that Dave Grohl wound up with that board.  People should rightfully mistrust documentaries, but one thing they weren't kidding about was that board was flat out awesome for recording drums.  

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #505 on: July 13, 2018, 02:03:20 PM »
Ok Slick, I get your point, but I may not have effectively voiced mine.  

It's not the music....I could live and let live on that.  It's the people, and their ignorance of everything you just said.

Most young people today.....all those names you just dropped?  Yeah, they don't know who any of those people are.  

I liked it more when the airwaves were full of things I enjoyed.  Now they're not.  It's a legit gripe and belongs in the hate thread.  

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #506 on: July 13, 2018, 02:30:06 PM »
Most young people today.....all those names you just dropped?  Yeah, they don't know who any of those people are.  

I liked it more when the airwaves were full of things I enjoyed.  Now they're not.  It's a legit gripe and belongs in the hate thread.  
 Sure gripe all you want,Amos, but indulge me the opportunity to kindly counter.
God gives most us of about 70 years on this earth so we can exercise ignorance and bad judgment, make mistakes, learn from them, gain experience, and acquire good judgment.
When we were young how much did we know, care or learn about the culture, music and experience of our elders.  It was there in the backdrop like a dogearred photograph album of faded black & white photos but it wasn’t bright, shiny and new like the big beautiful world opening up before us and our young, pretty peers.
It’s not until we’ve been chewed up, tattered and torn that we possess the wherewithal to say, “You know... “Hello Walls,” is a damn good song.
25 years ago nobody thought we’d ever grow up and appreciate anything.
Let’s give these younger folks their chance to be ignorant a-holes too.
You gonna expect your children to come out of the womb ready to mow your yard or you gonna let them grow up first?

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #507 on: July 13, 2018, 02:36:21 PM »
Hooky, may I counter.

Faron Young notwithstanding, 3 generations ago men were men at 18.  2 generations ago men were men at 21.  1 generation ago men were men at 25.  Today men are women.

Your argument holds water.  Other observations hold water too.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #508 on: July 13, 2018, 03:08:49 PM »
Hooky, may I counter.

Faron Young notwithstanding, 3 generations ago men were men at 18.  2 generations ago men were men at 21.  1 generation ago men were men at 25.  Today men are women.

Your argument holds water.  Other observations hold water too.
Maybe we should have more world wars to accelarate the maruration process.  :)

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #509 on: July 13, 2018, 03:34:03 PM »
Maybe we should have more world wars to accelarate the maruration process.  :)

That is unfortunately accurate.  Not desired, mind you - but accurate.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #510 on: July 13, 2018, 04:50:08 PM »
Accurate indeed. 

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #511 on: July 13, 2018, 04:56:50 PM »
Y'all are some chatty mofos today, brings back memories.

Just a couple of comments at random, not sure who brought them up

1) Not sure who made the initial point about people just making music for money, and there's a lot of that for sure, but one of the GOOD things about the ease of access to digital media, is that now there are thousands of artists that we have access to that AREN'T making music for money, many of them are making very little money at all, but we can still get their stuff.  Finding it isn't necessarily easy, but once you've found your avenues for the stuff you like, you tend to be able to do so over and over again.

2) I actually like Taylor Swift.  I'm not a fan of the "Look What You Made Me Do" song, but her album 1989 was pretty killer from start to finish.  I know MDT is a bigtime music lover, and I'd urge him to listen to that album a couple of times end to end.  Not every song is a blockbuster but most of them are very good.

She's a talented songwriter on her own, she also knows when to collaborate to fill in where her skills are lacking, she has a great voice, and she is fantastic live.  Yes, I've seen her live. 

3) Slick's point that we have access to everything past and present is well taken, and it's now at our fingertips, in a way I dreamed and imagined in 1986.  I sure wish I'd followed up on my ideas then, I might have been the one to bring solid stare digital media to the masses.  Alas, missed opportunities and whatnot.

Anyway, I love music.  The End.

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #512 on: July 13, 2018, 05:18:39 PM »
Yeah, I heard a discussion on how musicians make their money and it's definitely changed.  Most people do not buy full albums anymore and a good chunk don't even buy straight singles but choose to just stream the music through various platforms.

It's touring and selling merchandise that is the big money-grab for most of the ones who aren't getting royalties.  Probably why so many groups are making a come back with tours these days.   I do my best to support the artists, big and small, by going to shows for those that I am most interested in.   I probably won't ever pay the prices for a TSwift show, though....  she's fine and all, but there's more females I draw greater inspiration from personally.  
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:58:04 AM by UT-Erin03 »

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #513 on: July 14, 2018, 07:31:45 PM »
Anyway, I love music.  The End.
You would really like it if you would listen to something deeper than a bird bath.

Taylor Swift, Prince...  geez

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #514 on: July 15, 2018, 08:10:58 PM »
Eddie Cochran - Twenty Flight Rock

Eddie Cochran - Twenty Flight Rock - YouTube
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #515 on: July 16, 2018, 08:14:37 AM »
Music is art, and with any art, its value exists only to those who appreciate it.

When I was a smartassed 18 year-old, I was introduced to the works of artists like Robert Motherwell and Jackson Pollack who I flippantly deemed to be scam artists duping the snobby art world intelligentsia.  Now I know their work is art because it is appreciated.  

Even children's art is appreciated.

Some people scoff a certain types of films or music.  Bawdy comedies are often considered artless, but are they - if they're appreciated?

I'm not a big fan of country music.  There are probably a dozen country songs I love.  The rest seem to share the same four tunes and six subjects.  Others may think the same thing about rap.  Or even Mozart.  But they're all art and as I grow older, possibly wiser but certainly more cognizant of my own ignorance, I cannot find it in my heart or mind to begrudge anybody the art that they love.

So someone loves Taylor Swift, Hello Kitty art and Fuller House?  God bless them.  At least they love something.

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #516 on: July 16, 2018, 09:51:53 AM »
Music is art, and with any art, its value exists only to those who appreciate it.

When I was a smartassed 18 year-old, I was introduced to the works of artists like Robert Motherwell and Jackson Pollack who I flippantly deemed to be scam artists duping the snobby art world intelligentsia.  Now I know their work is art because it is appreciated.  

Even children's art is appreciated.

Some people scoff a certain types of films or music.  Bawdy comedies are often considered artless, but are they - if they're appreciated?

I'm not a big fan of country music.  There are probably a dozen country songs I love.  The rest seem to share the same four tunes and six subjects.  Others may think the same thing about rap.  Or even Mozart.  But they're all art and as I grow older, possibly wiser but certainly more cognizant of my own ignorance, I cannot find it in my heart or mind to begrudge anybody the art that they love.

So someone loves Taylor Swift, Hello Kitty art and Fuller House?  God bless them.  At least they love something.
Definitely agree on music being art.  That's why I find it odd when someone says all of it is disappointing these days, because there truly is something for everyone when it comes to art & music and it's constant shifting & evolving.   Not everyone will love the same things, and that's part of the appeal.     Certain things grab us when the same things might not stick with others, and there's a flavor out there for everyone.   
Without music, life would most certainly be a lot less entertaining, inspiring, and tolerable, so I definitely place a large importance on it in my life. 

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #517 on: July 16, 2018, 11:26:41 AM »
We grew up with the idea that there was something called "the music business" that was a concrete thing. It isn't, and it never was. It was a trick of technology that let people sell something from 1940 - 2000. Technology created that business, and technology killed it.

Not to say that music itself is dead. You're just not going to get rich off it. So the question is, do you have a voice? Not meaning the singing, physical voice, but do you have something to say? Would you do it even if no one was watching or paying you to?

If you have a spark and want to make music, then it's easier than ever to do so. Pick your medium. Electronic or live, sampled or performed, traditional or non, it's all a wide open stew. Lay it out in your head what you're trying to say, then refine it. You'll find something, either deliberately or by happy accident, that can become the container for your shine.

If you're just want to be a "rock star", then get a big butt and a Twitter account. Someone will look at you for a few weeks, and you can weigh in on political issues.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.