header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2018 Recruiting Thread

(Read 31043 times)

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2017, 06:38:57 PM »
Michigan lands it's second QB commit for the 2018 class as 3* QB Kevin Doyle (6-4, 210 lbs) out of Washington D.C. just announced his commitment.

Have no idea if he can play, but Michigan absolutely needed a 2nd QB in the 2018 class. O'Korn is gone after this year, Zach Gentry made what looks like could be a very successful move to TE, and I doubt that Alex Malzone is going to be on the team for much longer if he ever wants a shot at playing.

4* QB Joe Milton out of Florida was a good pick-up, but he's a bit on the raw side and might take time to develop. Always needed another guy in this class at QB imo. Looks like Harbaugh got his guy.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2017, 08:33:18 PM »
Haven't heard that name in a while.  MSU was pretty involved early, then dropped off when they got their guy.  I was on the fence about him being THE guy in a class, but if you are taking two, he's a really, really good #2.

EDIT: Yeah found an old article.  He was MSUs first 2018 offer, and visited last year for the UW game, naming MSU as his leader.  Pitt and WVU were his other major offers at the time.  MSU became higher on Day after that though and I can't find any further contact.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 08:37:45 PM by ELA »

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2017, 09:23:17 PM »
Haven't heard that name in a while.  MSU was pretty involved early, then dropped off when they got their guy.  I was on the fence about him being THE guy in a class, but if you are taking two, he's a really, really good #2.

EDIT: Yeah found an old article.  He was MSUs first 2018 offer, and visited last year for the UW game, naming MSU as his leader.  Pitt and WVU were his other major offers at the time.  MSU became higher on Day after that though and I can't find any further contact.
yeah, I think he's a really good #2 QB. It's HARD to land two QB's in a class these days. Seems like every QB wants to be "THE GUY" in his class these days. Some even want to be THE guy in their class and the class before theirs.
Between Peters, McCaffrey, Milton, and Doyle they should be able to build some pretty nice depth at the position.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2017, 09:25:57 PM »
He'll, even when you land solid QBs in back to back classes you assume either one has to not pan out, or one will wind up transferring.

Even Bama isn't immune to that problem, it's universal.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2017, 09:07:38 AM »
Would think MSU is all in now on Detroit RB Elijah Collins, who holds Iowa and Wisconsin offers as well.  But it was pretty clear they wanted to take two in this class, and Walker seemed like the best bet for the other one.
He's announcing Friday, and it's assumed to be MSU.  Doesn't seem like either side is particularly enamored with each other.  MSU missed on their top targets, and Collins seemingly no longer has commitable offers from Wisconsin or Iowa, so it's MSU, Pitt or Purdue I think?

Seems more like a business agreement than a commitment.

MSU seems to be in really good position now with 4* OT James Ohonba from GA.  Has a 4.2 GPA and said after his visit that it's MSU or Duke for him, but has offers from Bama, OSU, UM, Clemson, etc...

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2017, 01:54:01 PM »
He's announcing Friday, and it's assumed to be MSU.  Doesn't seem like either side is particularly enamored with each other.  MSU missed on their top targets, and Collins seemingly no longer has commitable offers from Wisconsin or Iowa, so it's MSU, Pitt or Purdue I think?

MSU seems to be in really good position now with 4* OT James Ohonba from GA.  Has a 4.2 GPA and said after his visit that it's MSU or Duke for him, but has offers from Bama, OSU, UM, Clemson, etc...
Hmm. I typically don't follow much football recruiting until I see players commit, but what are the odds that he flips to Purdue with the apparent resurgence of the program under Brohm? I don't really know him nor did I know we were recruiting him, but if he's not exactly enamored with MSU, that seems to open a door.
Granted, Purdue's deepest position is RB, so that's a factor against us.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2017, 02:54:40 PM »
Hmm. I typically don't follow much football recruiting until I see players commit, but what are the odds that he flips to Purdue with the apparent resurgence of the program under Brohm? I don't really know him nor did I know we were recruiting him, but if he's not exactly enamored with MSU, that seems to open a door.
Granted, Purdue's deepest position is RB, so that's a factor against us.
Assuming Iowa and Wisconsin really are out.  247 lists Pitt, Purdue and Mississippi State as his other schools with high interest.  No clue what that means.
MSU had their 2016 RB commit flip last minute to Oklahoma, and then their 2017 commit tore his ACL.  Holmes graduates and Scott probably goes pro, so PT will be there a plenty in East Lansing.  It's looking like Madre London, a RS freshman coming off a torn ACL, and a rising sophomore who the staff liked better at safety, but is at RB out of desperation is it back there in 2018.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2017, 02:45:10 PM »

Collins commits to MSU, sounds like Ohonba may be imminent

PortlandSpartan

• Recruit
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2017, 03:43:37 PM »
MSU recruiting well right now. 

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2017, 04:51:25 PM »
Yup, got Ohonba too.  4* OT with offers from Bama, Clemson, UM, OSU, Oklahoma, etc..., but with a 4.2 GPA and had Duke in his final 2?

Yes please.

PortlandSpartan

• Recruit
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2017, 06:11:38 PM »
We lost the game last week, but it's really shaping up to have been a great recruiting weekend.

Just happy to have on and off field momentum so far this year.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2017, 10:18:25 PM »
MSU gets 3* C Jacob Isaia from Bishop Gorman

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2017, 05:56:46 PM »
I don't know if PC and Co. ever had a real shot with this kid, but admissions made it impossible.

"Jack did not go to Wisconsin last weekend," Carman's head coach Jason Krause told Scout.com. "He found out he couldn't enroll at mid year at Wisconsin, so he didn't make that trip." 

"He really wants to enroll at mid-year, so Wisconsin is eliminated," he added. "He's working on making a decision on a fifth school, but nothing has been decided yet." 

Carman, a U.S. Army All-American, still has official visits upcoming with Clemson, Florida State, Ohio State and USC.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2017, 12:29:57 AM »
Looks like Ekiyor is going to flip from UM to Alabama.

Suddenly UM has interest in in state Kentucky commit Marquan McCall, and he's visiting this weekend.

Not a bad plan B, but the red flags related to grades were supposedly so bad his admissions to frickin Kentucky we're in doubt.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.