College Football Fan Site Area 51 @CFB51; dead nuts accurate

One community smart about college football

Civil discussion, topics, and reading of both original and aggregated news.

Author Topic: Cut the cord!  (Read 4100 times)

Offline utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Liked:
Re: Cut the cord!
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2018, 08:13:00 PM »
Well, to your point, who knows what Spectrum is going to decide to charge me NEXT year.  The constant monitoring and haggling is certainly tiresome and one of the major reasons I've considered cord-cutting.

For now $132/month isn't bad.  I can actually cut that another $6/mo by getting rid of the one NON-DVR set top box I have.  I've been testing the Spectrum app and it works pretty well through my Smart TVs.  I have one TV that's not Smart, but a $30 Roku express works well and will pay for itself in 5 months, so that's my next cut.

Offline bwarbiany

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2018, 09:39:38 PM »
Cox is terrible here as well. I think I spend about $98/mo on Internet, but I do have a higher-end speed plan. Even so, internet-only if I dropped speeds would only *maybe* drop to ~$60-70, and for that I'd have to buy a modem (which I have been planning but putting off) so I don't have to pay their stupid modem rental fee.

Offline bwarbiany

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2018, 09:40:51 PM »
I would point out, however, that I wouldn't live without internet, so it's not like internet itself is an added cost. But yes, sometimes internet cost do go up when you're not bundling. I'm not sure it goes up enough to be worth it.

Offline utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2018, 09:55:28 PM »
I would point out, however, that I wouldn't live without internet, so it's not like internet itself is an added cost. But yes, sometimes internet cost do go up when you're not bundling. I'm not sure it goes up enough to be worth it.
Yeah, like I said above, for me if I unbundle, the internet-only price goes up about $30/month, which just about eliminates the savings I'd get from dumping the cable TV portion and going with streaming options.
It's almost as if this giant corporation has performed some type of analysis and determined the optimal price for keeping me and other would-be cord-cutters... ;)

Offline bwarbiany

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2018, 10:21:29 PM »
Yeah, like I said above, for me if I unbundle, the internet-only price goes up about $30/month, which just about eliminates the savings I'd get from dumping the cable TV portion and going with streaming options.
It's almost as if this giant corporation has performed some type of analysis and determined the optimal price for keeping me and other would-be cord-cutters... ;)

Remember three things when you do the cost analysis:
1) The cable TV portion (and the phone portion if you're paying home phone) may have a bunch of added taxes, fees, etc that often don't get included in these cost analyses. 
2) If you're already paying for Netflix, or Amazon Prime, don't count those in your switching costs. Because you're paying for them on top of cable today.
3) Depending on your watching plans (particularly with the live streaming TV), if you are going to subscribe seasonally, as I do for CFB/NCAAB, make sure that you only account for the months you're paying for the streaming plans. You can't just add/drop with cable the way you can with streaming. If you're not going to make use of that, so be it. But if you're going to drop the live streaming TV services during offseason for sports, you need to include that in the analysis.

Offline utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2018, 10:23:45 AM »
I get what you're saying, but it's not really a factor for me.

1) $132 (soon to be $126) is my all-in price including all taxes and fees.  If I dropped cable TV, my all-in price for internet-only would be about $62 including all taxes and fees.  So adding $50 worth of streaming services from Sling or DTVN or Vue or whichever, takes me back up to at least $112.  At that point, I'm not saving enough money to put up with the additional complexities and idiosyncrasies of streaming.  I'd be fine with it, but my i s c & a aggie wife already has a hard enough time simply switching the TV to watch a BluRay.  So it would need to be a very large savings for me to sign myself up for being the sole channel-changing agent in the house. :)

2) I already have Amazon Prime and am not figuring it into the financial discussion above.  I do not have Netflix and have no interest in adding it.  My wife would probably like it but she already has access to and watches more than enough crap TV.

3) If it were just me then I'd likely drop TV during the offseason (though there isn't really much of that since I watch Formula 1 starting in March, and watch football through December).  But there's no way my wife would go for dropping the streaming TV, so it's a year-round decision for me.

Like I said, they've done some pretty careful analysis to make sure they're priced exactly where they are, for those who would consider cord-cutting.  If I had a Google or AT&T fiber option for internet-only I'd have more options, but currently at my house, I don't have that.

But I do appreciate the continued discussion and insights.  There will likely come a time when I'll cut the cord anyway.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:27:44 AM by utee94 »

Offline Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2018, 09:49:21 PM »
$126 is a smokin' deal and I would go for that as well.  My last cable bill was $127, did not include HBO or internet and that was over a year ago.

Offline utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2018, 10:14:01 AM »
Yeah, it's not bad.  Spectrum has dropped prices from where Time Warner was, at least in my area.

I should mention that this is the very most basic package, no HBO or other premiums.  It has ESPN and ESPN2, FS1 and FS2, NBCSN, and CBSSN, plus LHN, and all locals.  So it covers my sports desires well enough.  It also has AMC and most of the channels my i s c & a aggie wife likes, so it should do, for a while.

But they will inevitably try to start bumping up the price, and renegotiating (aka threatening to leave) gets pretty tiresome year after year.

Online MrNubbz

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2018, 03:23:46 PM »
I'm convinced these companies are monopolies under one umbrella.Perhaps separate but fixing behind closed doors.How much after initial installation & equipment rental can it cost monthly?Beaming/sending signals added hidden fees that just don't add up.Dropping cable then they up the price on remaining services.Any competitive competition is bought up by the Giants.Congress fiddles while the country burns.What ever happened to ala carte/package cable that Congress was suppose to implement?Same going on with utilities
"Alright then I'll go to hell" - Mark Twain

Support the Site:
Please Search Amazon from here! No cost to you yet covers some of our expenses!