header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Chris Borland Article: Hard Truth?

(Read 2468 times)

SFBadger96

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Chris Borland Article: Hard Truth?
« on: January 03, 2019, 12:00:23 PM »
I've been struggling with being a football fan for a while now. I applauded Borland when he quit the game, and I wouldn't let my son play it (though he has no interest, so that's not a hard call). The college football experience has been a huge part of my life--including, if I'm being honest, helping bring SFIrish and me together. There's not much better in my life than that. I like you guys, too.
 ;)
But...

I read this when it came in my alumni magazine and it isn't helping me stick with being a football fan.

https://onwisconsin.uwalumni.com/features/hard-truth/?fbclid=IwAR3KEVf7BMxiJyBNoIbSTocbZLQINbSQgwk1wNp7bgigT525SFO-D4Vvuvg

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: Chris Borland Article: Hard Truth?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 12:16:51 PM »
I'd be lying if I said CTE research has not given me pause when it comes to watching football.   I haven't stopped, but I certainly think about it off and on..  and I would not want my kids to play.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:33:14 PM »
I still say they need to take the helmets away for football to be viable in the future. Nobody would use their head as a weapon if this happened. Players (most all) have respect for one another so as to not try to hit each other with the intent to injure.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 02:44:39 PM »
I still say they need to take the helmets away for football to be viable in the future. Nobody would use their head as a weapon if this happened. Players (most all) have respect for one another so as to not try to hit each other with the intent to injure.
But the key is that "using the head as a weapon" means nothing to CTE. It's the repetitive small impacts that are an issue. 
Oddly enough, this has also been affecting soccer. Turns out repeatedly heading the ball in soccer leads to the same sorts of issues. The amount of force is MUCH smaller than most football tackles, but the repetitive nature of it leads to CTE. 
As it's highlighted in the article, everyone talks about this issue as if it's about concussions. Concussions are a problem, of course. But concussions and CTE aren't the same thing. 

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 02:48:59 PM »
But the key is that "using the head as a weapon" means nothing to CTE. It's the repetitive small impacts that are an issue.
Oddly enough, this has also been affecting soccer. Turns out repeatedly heading the ball in soccer leads to the same sorts of issues. The amount of force is MUCH smaller than most football tackles, but the repetitive nature of it leads to CTE.
As it's highlighted in the article, everyone talks about this issue as if it's about concussions. Concussions are a problem, of course. But concussions and CTE aren't the same thing.
Yup. Nothing can make the game safe. 
Only thing you can do is go to 7 on 7 and switch to flag football and get rid of the tackling. Who’d watch that? No one.

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 02:58:51 PM »
All sports have risks of CTE.  Boxing, Hockey and Football, I'd guess, have a significant higher percentage than basketball, soccer, baseball.   

SFBadger96

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 05:23:17 PM »
Yeah, I understand risk. There's risk in everything. And there are ways to mitigate risk. Is there any effective way to mitigate the risk of CTE in football? Doesn't seem like it. Maybe removing the helmets and shoulder pads would do it?

rolltidefan

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 05:51:34 PM »
that's rugby. nothing wrong with it, just not my sport of choice.

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 12:52:25 AM »
I have read this and other articles citing deaths at the turn of the 20th century that threatened college football. https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/19-football-players-died-in-1905-but-calls-for-reform-1277528900 Interesting that only 6 of the 19 deaths in 1905 were from brain injury. I am sure there were far fewer players in 1905. It is unlikely that removing helmets solves the problem; it probably exacerbates it. I understand your rationale, but collisions with heads occur even when players are not weaponizing the head. 

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.