header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Music City Bowl: Auburn 63, Purdue 14

(Read 2243 times)

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Music City Bowl: Auburn 63, Purdue 14
« on: December 02, 2018, 04:45:05 PM »
Destination envy
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 05:46:31 PM by ELA »

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Music City Bowl: Purdue (6-6) vs. Auburn (7-5)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 05:12:14 PM »
easy win for the Boilers, Auburn won't be highly motivated
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 11:37:00 PM »
I don't think it will be easy.  Purdue has games where they like to give the ball away.  I do hope Auburn shows up disappointed.  

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 10:32:48 AM »
I went to this a few years ago when ND played LSU. It's a fun easy trip because the stadium is right next to all the bars. 

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 10:33:48 AM »
much better destination than NYC
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CatsbyAZ

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 10:39:45 AM »
I’m confident Purdue will show up focused and the players will gladly give the coaches a deserved effort, especially with Brohm sticking around. Quite the underrated Big Ten story.

But I don’t have high hopes for Auburn. Gus & staff have underperformed in Bowls, I’m not sure the Tigers’ roster will be properly motivated, even though for the coaches finishing 8-5 sounds so much better than 7-6, and all my Auburn “connections” are staying home for this one, which is a bummer because as already pointed out this Bowl provides an entertaining setting.

fezzador

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 10:42:01 AM »
If Auburn wants it, it could get ugly.  Otherwise it's anyone's game.

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 11:55:16 AM »
Not the matchup I was hoping for...

Talent-wise, Auburn is going to be deeper at probably almost every position. I was hoping for a team that was closer to Purdue's situation, not a team stacked with highly-rated players that underperformed.

In some ways this becomes a "can't win" situation. Lose, and you've lost to a 7-5 Auburn team in a tailspin. Win, and you beat an "unmotivated" Auburn. 

Still, given the options, let's just hope Purdue goes out and cleans their clocks.

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 04:45:05 PM »
There is something wrong with Auburn, and usually that means coaching.  As noted, they have some talent but seem to underperform routinely.

They also barely lost to a decent LSU team and came back to beat a decent A&M and then lost to Tennessee, at home, which is almost hard to believe.  I guess they are a slightly better than middlin team that is up and down, kind of almost sorta like they are 7-5.

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 04:49:09 PM »
Auburn just lost their OC to an OC job at......  Kansas.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 04:52:32 PM »
chances are, Auburn will find a better OC for the bowl game

look out Boilers

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 05:18:35 PM »
There is something wrong with Auburn, and usually that means coaching.  As noted, they have some talent but seem to underperform routinely.

They also barely lost to a decent LSU team and came back to beat a decent A&M and then lost to Tennessee, at home, which is almost hard to believe.  I guess they are a slightly better than middlin team that is up and down, kind of almost sorta like they are 7-5.
Exactly. As much as Purdue has been up and down [losing to EMU/Minnesota, beating BC/OSU/Iowa], we know that to an extent in those wins they were overachieving their talent level, whereas Auburn is underachieving their talent level.
I just hope we catch them napping, upset that they're up against "just Purdue". But if their coaches have any sense [debatable I know] they're going to be pointing out the three ranked teams that Purdue upset, so the Auburn players don't look past us. And I'll bet they'll be reminding those players of what UCF did to them too, and that Purdue is more than capable of doing the same if they aren't "motivated". 

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 05:33:47 PM »
Destination envy
Yeah, no kidding. If UW were headed here, I'd be going.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 06:28:39 PM »
Auburn is a good tough team but they aren't some world beater.  They struggle on offense and if Purdue can keep their scoring down they certainly have a shot to win.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.