header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Big Ten East vs. West race going into week 13

(Read 1163 times)

LittlePig

• Starter
  • Liked:
Big Ten East vs. West race going into week 13
« on: November 19, 2018, 01:40:05 PM »
With 2 weeks to go, The Big Ten East is now up by only 2 games with 2 games to go.  Thanks to Nebraska's upset of MSU in week 12, the West is still alive in the race for best Big Ten division.

Below are the 2 remaining inter-divisional games

Purdue at Indy - Week 13
Big Ten championship game - Week 14

The east could still clinch if Indy beats Purdue this Saturday.  But if Purdue wins, then the title of best division will once again be determined by the Big Ten CCG.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Big Ten East vs. West race going into week 13
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 01:57:03 PM »
Boiler UP!!!
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 01:58:02 PM »
btw, at kickoff, at least one Vegas book had the Huskers as a one point fav over Sparty
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 10:38:49 AM »
It will never happen, but it would be interesting if all of the teams had a bonus crossover game based on standings. 

In addition to the CCG, you have the second place team in each division square off, along with the third, the fourth and so on, on down to the two last place teams locking horns.
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 10:50:12 AM »
The SEC East also bettered the West this year, first time in a while.

LittlePig

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 09:59:55 PM »
It will never happen, but it would be interesting if all of the teams had a bonus crossover game based on standings.

In addition to the CCG, you have the second place team in each division square off, along with the third, the fourth and so on, on down to the two last place teams locking horns.
I have thought about that idea too.  Except for the CCG, you would probably have to set it up so that one division gets all the home games in alternating years.

TyphonInc

• Starter
  • Easily Amused
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 07:58:44 AM »

I've campaigned for this since Leaders and Legends. Instead of Championship Weekend we can call it Seeding Saturday.
I've gone one step farther, and depending on how you perform on Seeding Saturday the team gets (based on their seeding,) to pick their bowl game.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:42:53 AM by TyphonInc »

TyphonInc

• Starter
  • Easily Amused
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 08:44:43 AM »
I have thought about that idea too.  Except for the CCG, you would probably have to set it up so that one division gets all the home games in alternating years.
I would think the CCG game would be a big enough draw to stay at a neutral site, but the rest of the games would go the the division that has played one less home game.

I've also thought of doing it more B12 style, where the top 2 teams play, 3v4, 5v6, etc. no matter what division you are in. Not sure if the positives outweigh the negatives of doing it that way though.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:46:43 AM by TyphonInc »

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 09:17:06 AM »
I would think the CCG game would be a big enough draw to stay at a neutral site, but the rest of the games would go the the division that has played one less home game.

I've also thought of doing it more B12 style, where the top 2 teams play, 3v4, 5v6, etc. no matter what division you are in. Not sure if the positives outweigh the negatives of doing it that way though.
Greatly increase the rematch possibility by doing it that way.
On the whole I don't like it.  A win doesn't make 5-7 teams bowl eligible, but a loss makes 6-6 teams ineligible.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 06:49:16 PM »
how about a system like this to set the schedule for next season?

TyphonInc

• Starter
  • Easily Amused
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 08:44:22 PM »
Greatly increase the rematch possibility by doing it that way.
On the whole I don't like it.  A win doesn't make 5-7 teams bowl eligible, but a loss makes 6-6 teams ineligible.
Yah, I didn't like the rematch aspect either. But, keeping it cross conference would lead to lopsided match ups.
Really, the extra game wouldn't lead to more teams bowl eligible?

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 11:14:38 PM »
Yah, I didn't like the rematch aspect either. But, keeping it cross conference would lead to lopsided match ups.

No, you need to be .500 right?  They granted exemptions a couple times where 6-6 teams went to CCGs due to teams ahead of them were ineligible, and then lost to fall to 6-7.  I think UCLA and Georgia Tech.
But 5-7 teams winning to get to 6-7 would still be ineligible, and 6-6 teams who lose would suddenly find themselves ineligible.

LittlePig

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 07:37:08 AM »

I was thinking more along the lines that the 9th conference game would be moved to the final weekend, not adding an extra game.  Teams would still have 12 games total.
I guess in theory if you don't need the extra game for the CCG, you don't really need divisions either.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.