header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Ads from your childhood that stuck with you?

(Read 9309 times)

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Ads from your childhood that stuck with you?
« on: August 07, 2018, 01:44:46 PM »
Can you remember all the words to the jingle?  Does it annoy you?  Does it bring on nostalgia?  Does it just make you glad your poor old brain can remember anything, at all?

I'll go first--

I don't want to grow up
I'm a Toys R Us Kid
They've got the best
For so much less
You'll really flip your lid!

From bikes to trains
To video games
It's the biggest toy store there is
(Gee wiz!)

I don't want to grow up
'Cause if I did
I wouldn't be a Toys R us kid

(more games, more toys, oh boy!)

I wanna be a Toys R Us kid!

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Ads from your childhood that stuck with you?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 01:48:35 PM »
And this one:

Honeycomb's big
(yeah yeah yeah)
It's not small
(no no no)
Honeycomb's got
A big big taste
Big big crunch
For a big big bite

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 02:33:19 PM »
The Toys R Us one is a classic, it's sad that it won't be hammered into the future generations brains along with ours. 

There's one for Westside Chevrolet that was local commercial that ran frequently and for many years.   They had to change the exit names in the jingle when the roads & freeway expanded right where it is.  I can still recite that one, with and without the revised exits.    It had a very catchy tune along with it but originally it was "Westside Chevrolet, Katy Freeway, Peek Road Exit, Houston"  and then went to "Westside Chevrolet, Katy Freeway, Grand Parkway Exit, Katy".       It never changed spots, but apparently changed cities in the jingle, when people started recognizing Katy I guess.  

Some that are not easy to forget: 
The best part of waking up.... is Folger's in your cup! 
My Buddy... My Buddy... wherever I go, you're gonna go, My Buddy....    (and then there was Kid Sister...) 
not really a jingle, but the Yo Quiero Taco Bell brings nostalgia for me.   As well as the Kool Aid man. 

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 02:50:11 PM »
"Ever eat a pine tree?  Many parts are edible."

That was the opening bit of commercial for Grape Nuts cereal featuring a naturalist named Euell Gibbons.

Another famous cereal commercial had three kids at a table and went like this:

"You eat it."

"No.  You eat it."

"I'm not going to eat it."

"Let's get Mikey to eat it."

"He won't eat it.  He hates everything."

"Hey.  He likes it."

"Hey Mikey."

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 02:52:41 PM »
I also remember a commercial of a miserable-looking guy sitting on the side of his bed while his wife is in bed rolled away from him.  

He says, "I can't believe I ate the whole thing."

She says, "You ate it, Ralph.  You ate it."

He says, , "I can't believe I ate the whole thing."

She says, "No, Ralph.  I ate it."

He says, , "I can't believe I ate the whole thing."

Then there's like some voice overs and it puts to the plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 02:57:19 PM »
Along about... 1976 maybe... ABC network advertised its upcoming season with a montage of clips of its biggest hits and newest shows, intermixed with shots of happy people while they played Orleans' Still the One.

About a third of the way through the commercial there was a beautiful woman in a white one piece swimsuit mugging for the camera.  

It was a Citizen Kane Mr Bernstein 1896 moment for me.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 03:09:19 PM »
Along about... 1976 maybe... ABC network advertised its upcoming season with a montage of clips of its biggest hits and newest shows, intermixed with shots of happy people while they played Orleans' Still the One.

About a third of the way through the commercial there was a beautiful woman in a white one piece swimsuit mugging for the camera.  

It was a Citizen Kane Mr Bernstein 1896 moment for me.
Or maybe a red tank top that said ONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_3XbD6pxCY
That was 40 years ago.  Hard to remember.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 03:11:40 PM by CharleyHorse46 »

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 03:21:32 PM »
As I was reading your bit about the ABC commercial, before I looked down to your next post, i was already humming, "You're still having fun... and we're still the one!"

That was a powerful one indeed.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 05:41:06 PM »

My Buddy... My Buddy... wherever I go, you're gonna go, My Buddy....   
My Buddy and meeeeeeeeee......
Well, there wasn't one from childhood stuck in my head, but now there is.  So...thanks, Erin.  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 06:48:12 PM »
The cereal commercial ones have really stuck with me, which makes sense as they were blasted non-stop during Saturday Morning Cartoons.

(yes, Erin, we used to only be able to watch cartoons on Saturday mornings.  And there were only 3 television channels that had them)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 09:52:07 AM »
Can't get enough of them supa' suga' crisps!

Always after me lucky charms.

Crazy rabbit.  Tricks are for kids.

They'rrrrrrre Grrreat!

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 10:02:32 AM »
I do remember Saturday morning commercials & cartoons.
Also, my family didn't have cable, so I remember preferring to stay at my best friend's house since they had cable & Nickelodeon and we would watch Pinwheel, Doug, etc.       When I wasn't at her house, I was limited to the 3 channels for things like Pee Wee's Playhouse, Ninja Turtles, and Saved by the Bell.  

There were shows we loved on PBS after school in the 4-5pm timeslot, although not quite cartoons.  I think "Where In the World is Carmen Sandiego" is partly to blame for my travel-itch, to be honest.  And that Rockapella group that sang their tunes were pretty cool to this 90's preteen.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 10:13:28 AM »
A lot of beer companys have had good ads over the years.   Along around 1982 or so Lone Star had these ads that looked like news clips.   They'd show an overturned beer truck in a ditch at night under flood lights and a news reporting getting man on the scene interviews from people talking about a giant armadillo that came out of nowhere, stole a case of Lone Star beer and vanished into the night.

And for a number of reasons I have never been a Coors fan but for just a minute along about 1978 they had this beautiful jingle sung by a Michael Martin Murphey sound-alike and they played against the backdrop of the Rocky Mountains, it went:

Taste the wide open skies
Taste Rocky Mountain high
Make it Coors
Make it Coors
Make it yours

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 10:20:47 AM »
Oh and I just remembered a blast from the past - 

In the late '70s and very early '80s before his breakout with Sailing, Christopher Cross used to sing jingles for radio spots.

I used to listen to this radio station called KLBJ FM 93.7 (I think it's still around with the exact same DJs and playlist but I've like been there, done that) and they had this recurring commercial for this iconic local electronics store.

It kills me because I can't remember its name because I heard the commercial like 40,000 times over a five yer span.   It was two syllables like Dyer Electronics or something like that.

But Chris Cross sang this song that went like

DY-er-E-lec-tron-ics-DY-er-E-lec-tron-ics-DY-er-E-lec-tron-ics-DY-er-E-lec-tron-ics-DY-er-E-lec-tron-ics

Just over and over again and again with his distinctive high pitched voice.

It was like stick in your head hypnotics.  Everybody in town sang it.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.