header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Is Urby In Trouble Here?

(Read 82410 times)

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Is Urby In Trouble Here?
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2018, 04:08:57 PM »
Times have changed. 10 years ago - hell, two years ago - this wouldn't get any press.

The key is the lying part. If he knew, and it sure looks like it, he's gotta go. Sorry.

Had he come out last week or whatever and said, "Yes, I knew about it, but I was trying to protect the family from going broke and yada yada", he'd have looked a lot better than the potential outcome now. He could recovered from that. Take a little heat then versus an inferno now. Seems simple.

DON'T LIE!! EVAR!!
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2018, 04:09:37 PM »
Well maybe if Smith had been convicted of abuse Urban would have fired him?  Firing  someone who your wife says is bad might not be too smart if that and other BS is all you have.
the ex-wife sent pics and screen shots of text messages of some of the beatings and threats that POS Smith sent to her. Meyer's wife said to the ex-wife that Zach Smith scares her, and asked her if she had a restraining order. Give me a break with this BS. Just because he wasn't convicted means nothing. That POS douchebag was beating a 115 pound woman and he got away with it. He lost his job only when Urban couldn't cover for him anymore. He should consider himself lucky he's only lost his job. That POS should be lined up and shot by a firing squad.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 04:11:20 PM by Mdot21 »

Temp430

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2018, 04:15:51 PM »
Not defending Smith rather disparaging the rush to lynch Urban.  There’s a difference.

Did Urban lie in Chicago to the assembled media?  Sure sounds like it.  Should he be fired for it?  Don’t think so at this point.  Maybe he had reasons. The OSU should ask him.

On a personal note, I would hate to see Urban go with a perfect record over Michigan.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 04:17:48 PM by Temp430 »
A decade of Victory over Penn State.

All in since 1969

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2018, 04:16:12 PM »

Covering for tattoos and a little cash vs. covering for beating women. You tell me which one is worse. I'll hang up and listen.
they are both the same
covering for ANYTHING that can damage a program's chance of winning games is the issue.
minor or major isn't the issue - it's the lying to protect the program
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

HailHailMSP

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2018, 04:20:14 PM »
What BS?

Head hunting for someone who broke no laws or rules.  

Did the police know?  I guess so since they were called multiple times.  Why wasn’t Smith prosecuted?  Go after the dickhead who let that slide.  Its not the head coaches job to enforce the law.
The legal world of domestic violence is difficult. Is the threshold really prosecution? Does a woman really want to move forward in court in Columbus with the Earle Bruce’s grandson. Based on what fans have said on social media today about her I would guess not. Especially when his $400k a year salary is supporting her and her children’s life.
Moral and legal boundaries are a bit different. I hope most universities moral threshold is more rigid than the legal end, but we have been burned before.

SuperMario

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2018, 04:32:02 PM »
Times have changed. 10 years ago - hell, two years ago - this wouldn't get any press.

The key is the lying part. 
This is exactly true. Very interesting times we live in.
What's odd, is why lie? Or why cover for this caliber of coach? Odd situation. 

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2018, 04:35:17 PM »
What BS?

Head hunting for someone who broke no laws or rules.  

Did the police know?  I guess so since they were called multiple times.  Why wasn’t Smith prosecuted?  Go after the dickhead who let that slide.  Its not the head coaches job to enforce the law.
An interesting question. What does it mean to break rules? The legal system is one way, but it errs on the side of not acting in a great many cases. That’s fine. But if you feel strongly someone did something bad, should you act? Should you have to wait for the legal system to act?
It comes down to judgement. 
(Also, since assistants are basically at-will employees, firing them is really easy)

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2018, 04:59:15 PM »
A reason charges aren't filed is when a victim chooses not to cooperate as a witness w police or DA.  This happens quite a bit.  That is reported as the reason he wasn't charged while at Fla.  It doesn't matter who she told or who she texted.   If you don't have a cooperating witness you only have hearsay not proof BARD.

CatsbyAZ

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2018, 05:52:31 PM »
Been waiting all day to get home from work and read the lengthy thread I expected to come of this. 3 pages already. My two cents: Hit the Fickell button.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2018, 05:58:44 PM »
the former ESPN reporter who broke this story, Brett McMurphy was on Doug Gottlieb's radio show just a few hours ago.

LINK: https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2018-08-01-brett-mcmurphy-updates-his-breaking-story-on-urban-meyer/

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2018, 06:03:05 PM »
Front page of the Chicago Tribune now. It's also the lead story on SI.

This thing took off fast today.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2018, 06:06:43 PM »
Front page of the Chicago Tribune now. It's also the lead story on SI.

This thing took off fast today.
listen to that interview I posted with McMurphy.
McMurphy says he's sitting on worse stuff that he can't report. Wow.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.