header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Is Urby In Trouble Here?

(Read 82561 times)

Kris61

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Is Urby In Trouble Here?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 10:57:59 AM »
Trouble?  Bad PR for sure.  A very awkward press conference.  I doubt anything beyond that.

Kris61

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 11:05:17 AM »
Trouble?  Bad PR for sure.  A very awkward press conference.  I doubt anything beyond that.
Hmm. Maybe. But this is a really bad look.  Meyer said he knew nothing of allegations against Smith in 2015.  McMurphy has text messages between Smith’s wife and Meyer’s wife where Shelley Meyer is urging her to leave him because of the abuse.
We’ll see.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 11:06:22 AM »
it's a different world than it was in 2015
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 11:12:53 AM »
Yeah I think we are finding that out across all mediums.  I'm not talking about the Harvey Weinstein stuff, but people having old Tweets dragged out.  I think the days of coaches being able to put blinders on while the police "handle" stuff is over.  Hell, I remember the drug officer in 1995 telling a room full of 5th graders that the standing orders for UM/Ann Arbor police officers, when he was on the beat in the 70s and 80s was that if he picked up a UM football player, you absolutely did not book him, or take him to jail.  You took him straight to Bo's house, and he handled it.  He didn't tell it in a "can you believe this?" but in a "this is funny" kind of way, and not to people at a private dinner party, but to a room full of public school children.

I think a lot of these coaches grew up in that mentality.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 11:15:06 AM by ELA »

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 11:17:25 AM »
Hmm. Maybe. But this is a really bad look.  Meyer said he knew nothing of allegations against Smith in 2015.  McMurphy has text messages between Smith’s wife and Meyer’s wife where Shelley Meyer is urging her to leave him because of the abuse.
We’ll see.
I agree.  It looks bad.   The coverage of domestic abuse is at an all time high (thankfully).   He won't be fired, but this will follow him for a while.  I'd suspect ESPN digs in now...   he's not in the SEC anymore.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 11:23:07 AM »
I agree.  It looks bad.   The coverage of domestic abuse is at an all time high (thankfully).   He won't be fired, but this will follow him for a while.  I'd suspect ESPN digs in now...   he's not in the SEC anymore.
Particularly with the ongoing story of the athletic doctor sexually abusing athletes.
Feels familiar.

mcwterps1

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 11:28:45 AM »
Not near as bad as deals with handlers and recruiting murderers  

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 12:00:31 PM »
Story is on the front page of the MSN home page now.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 12:05:03 PM »
IMHO the question is whether everyone just clams up to protect Urban or not. Unless they can *prove* that Shelley told Urban, they can't prove he knew.

I realize there's TONS of circumstantial evidence, but circumstantial evidence vs. Urban Meyer's record and value to OSU? Unless the PR world comes down on OSU like nothing else, I see them circling the wagons and trying to let this blow over. 

But if it's proven that he knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, I'm not sure they'll be able to protect him. Not in 2018. Especially if he got on a microphone and blatantly lied about it.

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 12:07:03 PM »
Not... not good. 
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

TyphonInc

• Starter
  • Easily Amused
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 12:20:04 PM »
2 qualifiers then a rant.

1) Yes I think Meyer is trouble for this. if it's just this and blows over I think the coaching staff attends a "whistleblower" seminar, and Meyer donates a sum of money to abuse prevention charity type thing.
2) Abuse is horrible, and I'm glad we as a society are becoming more aware of it, and trying to prevent and report on it.

Rant: I get annoyed with the highest profile guy is set up as the scapegoat. Why isn't Shelly getting investigated? How about Mrs. Smith others friends? Reporters are targeting Meyer to get the clicks, and I don't think that's how it should be.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 12:26:51 PM »
Rant: I get annoyed with the highest profile guy is set up as the scapegoat. Why isn't Shelly getting investigated? How about Mrs. Smith others friends? Reporters are targeting Meyer to get the clicks, and I don't think that's how it should be.

Shelly would be investigated until she told investigators she passed this along to the head coach.  This may have taken about 10 minutes.  Shelly wouldn't be in the spotlight if she took this to Urban.
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 12:27:43 PM »

Did Shelly or Mrs. Smith's other friends get in front of the media and tell everyone they didn't know?
It's very possible Urb didn't know. Maybe his wife doesn't tell him everything (not healthy, in my opinion, but possible).
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.