header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: College football players and politics ....

(Read 10342 times)

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
Re: College football players and politics ....
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 09:55:48 AM »
Id stop watching
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 10:19:05 AM »
3 cornhuskers did take a knee a couple seasons ago

in a very RED state
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 10:57:36 AM »
I don't really feel the need to get worked up over the symbolism in "taking a knee".

The patriots that built, formed, and now sustain this nation wanted all voices (however the society defined them in time) to count. Taking a knee is, to me, a reminder that some voices have been deliberately silenced or marginalized throughout this history and that we still have work to do.

I can think of no better way to honor America by acknowledging that we are a collection of differing voices, and that we see our flaws as well as our virtues.

After this recognition, the players return to their bench and engage in the sporting event I came to see. We're all still on good terms.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 11:21:17 AM »
I don't really feel the need to get worked up over the symbolism in "taking a knee".

The patriots that built, formed, and now sustain this nation wanted all voices (however the society defined them in time) to count. Taking a knee is, to me, a reminder that some voices have been deliberately silenced or marginalized throughout this history and that we still have work to do.

I can think of no better way to honor America by acknowledging that we are a collection of differing voices, and that we see our flaws as well as our virtues.

After this recognition, the players return to their bench and engage in the sporting event I came to see. We're all still on good terms.
Mostly I agree with this.
However I do know several people that either served in our armed forces previously, or are still doing so, that find it highly offensive.
And not one person in this country has the right to tell them they should NOT be offended.  Their opinions are every bit as valid as the people who choose to take a knee.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 11:26:38 AM »

personally, i swore to defend the United States and the Constitution against enemies foreign and domestic.  That Constitution begins with the first ten amendments, which is the Bill of Rights, and which describes the protection of individual freedoms, not to be infringed, and regardless of what the majority opinion is... it's what sets us apart and makes this country great.  
i've no problem with individuals exercising their individual rights and though i strongly disagree with them they have that right and it's something we should all be proud of.  i DO have a problem with 'organizing' such an activity.... if someone wants to make a statement, good on them... if someone wants to pressure others into making statements it smells too much like mob rule- and this is the line the NFL flirted with then crossed a few times while seeking some appeasement of both sides... 
if you stand for nothing you'll fall for anything.  this is their 'rights'.  i don't mind telling them i disagree with them while applauding their actions in principle.   

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 11:32:36 AM »
If you want everyone to stand for the national anthem, move to North Korea. 

That's all I'm gonna say about that, and I will continue watching my favorite sport regardless of what's happening before the kickoff. 

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 11:35:01 AM »
the flag is a symbol - it means different things to different people

the anthem is a symbol - it means different things to different people

taking a knee is a symbol - it means different things to different people

the folks that started and are still taking a knee should be educated regarding the symbols of the flag and the anthem.

The flag and anthem are symbols of freedom and equal rights.  They symbolize the exact thing the knee takers are protesting about.

If they want to bring attention to their cause, there are just other, much better ways to bring attention w/o pissing off huge groups of good people.
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 11:40:10 AM »
Why would you suggest silencing the voices of those that find it offensive by telling them to move to North Korea?  That sounds pretty fascist and dictatorial to me. 

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 11:40:57 AM »
This illustrates one of the most maddening things I find about contemporary politics in my corner of the world.  Maybe I don't know the right people or read the right articles, and maybe I'm a dumbass.  S'been several times in my life I've been sure that must be the case.  So consider the source.

It looks to me like the "left" does little other than focus on perceived injustices, ranting, wailing, crying foul, and just generally being annoying as hell because the world does not 100% fit whatever their definition of Just is, which only makes them sound insane because the majority of them opine relativism, saying what's right for you isn't necessarily right for me, by which they have lost the right to criticize anybody, really, for anything.  

And the "right" does little other than marginalize any perceived problem or injustice, loudly and rudely disputing that any inequities exist or need addressing, and talk at length about how ignorant and confused people are who have any gripes about our society.  

IMO they both miss the biggest part of the point.  I'll happily concede a point to each of them; to the left I'd say sure, there are things wrong with this country that need addressing, and to the right I'd say sure, it's debatable as to what those things are and how best to go about fixing them.  But I'd like to tell both of them, collectively, to not solely focus on the problems they find with the world and each other, and remember to appreciate the 90% this place got right.  I mean, hell...the USA sure ain't perfect, but DAMN if it isn't the coolest social experiment ever contrived.  It has no equal in the recorded history of the world, and just to remind ourselves I sometimes think we ought to go spend time in some other parts of the world, just to...you know...get our attitude's asses kicked a little.  

Never stop trying to fix the 10%.  Die on every hill you can climb, if you want, and fight like hell for what you believe.  But I'd recommend spending the proportionate amount of our mental energy appreciating the 90%.  

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 11:53:15 AM »
Just sayin' that I appreciate being in a country where national pride isn't forced or punishable for those who choose not to participate. There's other places where that is forced if someone is so concerned over patriotism.

And I'm not telling  anyone to do anything, merely making a suggestion that's been offered to me at times when I was not agreeing with such things. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:57:36 AM by UT-Erin03 »

Mr Tulip

• Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 11:53:32 AM »
I would not approve of "protest message creep".

Athletes, both college and pro, occupy a position of status granted to them by the consensual hallucination that what they do matters. Ultimately, they're playing an unnecessary activity that doesn't save lives or advance technology. However, we've given them a platform.

The taking of a knee is brief, minimally disruptive, and on point. Whatever one might think, the action disappears once the game starts.

I would think less of a player that disrupted the environment by, say, yelling over the National Anthem, dancing, wearing other garb other than the team uniform, or expanding messaging activities into the contest (e.g. holding up sideline banners).

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 01:15:37 PM »
Why on earth would somebody protesting a perceived injustice want to poke the bear by kneeling during the National Anthem.

All this does is alienate many who would otherwise be sympathetic to their cause

Its like they want to shove patriotism back in the face of the fan

Its a no win situation for the protesting player so I hope they find another way to exercise their right of free speech
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

Mr Tulip

• Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 02:03:21 PM »
Why on earth would somebody protesting a perceived injustice want to poke the bear by kneeling during the National Anthem.

All this does is alienate many who would otherwise be sympathetic to their cause

Its like they want to shove patriotism back in the face of the fan

Its a no win situation for the protesting player so I hope they find another way to exercise their right of free speech
I guess I don't really hear the message with that hard of a tone.
I hope we can agree that the respect shown to the National Anthem must be voluntary. If not, it's meaningless. Vendors still sell beers during the Anthem. Folks still text and chat. I appreciate those who stand still and cover their heart, but I'd be living in a different America (I hope) if an effort to enforce it were made.
When I see (or hear of) a player kneeling during the Anthem, I hear that as an acknowledgement that he knows of an America where those ideals don't exist. I know that this other America exists, but I don't have a lot of experience with it. I don't feel insulted or guilty to be reminded of it. I'm not directly personally responsible for it, but I add to the greatness of America's future when I accept the responsibility of striving to improve it.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.