College Football Fan Site Area 51 @CFB51; dead nuts accurate

One community smart about college football

Civil discussion, topics, and reading of both original and aggregated news.

Author Topic: Texas Baseball  (Read 1654 times)

Online longhorn320

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
Re: Texas Baseball
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 09:16:57 AM »
does anybody remember the 69 Mets

probably not
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

Online CharleyHorse46

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2018, 11:05:58 AM »

I remember Rhianna singing about the 68 Jets.
Is that the same thing?

Online CharleyHorse46

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2018, 11:17:12 AM »
Well, it's time once again for the Texas Longhorns to treat our little friends to the northeast to our rivalristic presence that adds meaning to their lives.

We have plenty of rivals - mostly OU, but Arkansas ain't never had a rival they despised as much as us.  And every time they get to play us, they remember.   Maybe they have no personal memory but they probably remember grandpappy waxing eloquent about Kenny Hatfield's 1964 performance.

Unlike A&M (who longed to get out of our shadow so they could finally feel good about themselves by reveling in the glow of SEC mediocrity instead of Big 12 mediocrity and supplementing their mediocrity with wins over the likes of Nicholls St, Prairie View, Ball St and Sam Houston St) Arkansas (and Nebraska too) have languished in obscurity since their departure(s).  Hating Texas gave the Hogs (and the Huskers) a real purpose they have had trouble replacing.

I'm happy for Razorback fans that Omaha will soon afford Texas with an opportunity to provide the Piggies with yet another reason to hate Texas.

Online longhorn320

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2018, 11:44:21 AM »
love it when they start crying with their pig hats on
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

Online CharleyHorse46

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2018, 12:21:03 PM »
love it when they start crying with their pig hats on
I like it when their mouthy mouths fall silent.

Online FearlessF

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2018, 12:44:58 PM »
Amazing that I still remember.....

Or is it a miracle?  Oh well....

Tom Seaver and Nolan Ryan and Tug McGraw

Bud Harrelson and Al Weis and Tommie Agee and Cleon Jones

Coaching Gil Hodges and Yogi Berra

One of my earliest memories of MLB that did not include the Minnesooota Twins
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Online utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2018, 01:17:47 PM »
Yogi Berra played for the Longhorns?  I had no idea.

Arkansas fans really are the worst.  I've had my run-ins with Sooner fans, and I have to deal with Aggie fans on a daily basis, but anyone who has ever been to a Texas-Arkansas football game in FayetteNam will understand exactly why I say the little piggies are the absolute worst.

Sure hope the team shuts up their mouthy mouths in a hurry on Sunday.  

Online FearlessF

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2018, 01:58:36 PM »
Yogi Berra played for the Longhorns?  I had no idea.
I think he played for the Razorbacks
woo pig sooie!
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Online longhorn320

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2018, 03:02:29 PM »
as ol Yogi would say

when you get to a fork in the road

take it

Online FearlessF

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2018, 03:31:40 PM »
Yogi also said,

Slump? I ain’t in no slump… I just ain’t hitting.

How can you think and hit at the same time?

and my favorite........

All pitchers are liars or crybabies.

Online CharleyHorse46

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2018, 04:51:40 PM »
My favorite Yogism

In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

Online longhorn320

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2018, 06:46:59 PM »
Then there was the time Yogi called up the local fire chief and told him he had a lot of things

to contribute to their charity drive and all they needed to do was come pick it up

The fire chief says "Thats great Yogi how do we get to your house?"

and Yogi says "cant you just use one of your little red trucks?"

Online TexasFan

• Recruit
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2018, 10:38:57 AM »
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:11:21 AM by TexasFan »

Online longhorn320

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2018, 08:43:34 AM »
That was fun

Online TexasFan

• Recruit
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2018, 09:24:58 AM »
Yesterday was the most embarrassing Texas baseball game that I have ever seen at the CWS.     I am shocked at how ill prepared we looked and how timid we played.      Its one thing to go to Omaha, its another to stink up the place. 

https://www.ncaa.com/game/baseball/d1/2018/06/17/texas-arkansas

Online BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2018, 05:10:21 PM »
Its one thing to go to Omaha, its another to stink up the place.

I wouldn't be too upset.  We home field advantaged our way into the CWS.  Texas is a pleasantly improving team.  I've enjoyed watching our turnaround.  But it's still a work in process, and we were never CWS material this year.  Next year perhaps.

First and foremost, we have zero consistency at the plate.  That's not the hallmark of a CWS team.  Outside of Kody, you never know what you're going to get.  And Kody is allowed a bad day every now and then, but with these other 8 guys, we have no chance when he does.

I like the look of Zubia.  He looks the part.  Problem is, he's not getting it done for a fella that does nothing but bat for the Texas Longhorns.  I anticipate seeing another hoss in the 4-hole next year.  A more reliable one.

Pitching is still not A-1.  I give us a B+.  That's not CWS material.  Too much unpredictability.

This is a fine group of players.  This is not a CWS team.  This is a team knocking on the door.  I have complete faith in Pierce to keep working the issue.  He's doing a good job.

Online CharleyHorse46

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2018, 01:35:40 PM »
Yeah what he said. We couldn’t buy an out in that one bad inning from hell. Oh well.  That happens. Project still ahead of schedule.

Online TexasFan

• Recruit
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2018, 03:14:45 PM »
Beat Florida !  :)

Online utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2018, 03:14:50 PM »
Yup, as much as that game sucked, especially against the hated pigs, it's still a lot more than I (or most everyone else) expected from this team back in February.  I like the direction we're headed.  This team is easy to root for, even when they're having a bad day.

Online FearlessF

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2018, 08:45:35 PM »
corngrats on a dern fine season and ANOTHER trip to Omaha for the Horns

Online EastAthens

• Recruit
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2018, 09:13:49 PM »

probably not
I was 10 and a full-blown Henry Aaron worshiper. The Bravos played the Miracle Mets in the 1st ever Divisional Playoff. This was when I heard Tom Terrific say he did not sleep a wink the night before he pitched the 1st game because every time he closed his eyes, he saw Bad Henry knocking another ball over the wall. I never knew that was what pitchers called Aaron. The Mets swept in three.

Online BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2018, 05:21:34 PM »
Sorry, EastAthens.

I just had to knock your handle off the front page.

Online utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2018, 08:18:24 AM »
Well, I suppose you could have said something about Texas beisbol.  Or beisbol in general.  Or Texas in general.

Online EastAthens

• Recruit
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2018, 02:42:58 AM »
Well, +1 for that Big 12 maturity and tolerance. I expected no less from Longhorn Nation which had no stake, as far as I know, in the 1969 NLCS.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 02:46:25 AM by EastAthens »

Online CharleyHorse46

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2018, 10:08:37 PM »
I was in Bob’s barbersop, in the chair, getting my ears lowered when Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth’s career record for homeruns.  Bob and Curtis both stopped clipping to stand watching along with the other 10 or 12 guys in the room.  I was about 12.  My dad close to 50.  Bob at least 60.  Curtis maybe 35.  Everybody else probably between 40 and 70.  Weird to think I might be the only person still living who was in that barber shop to see that.  There were probably pithy comments but I can’t remember any.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:10:27 PM by CharleyHorse46 »

Online FearlessF

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2018, 10:39:18 AM »
I remember that moment, don't remember exactly where I was.  Probably my parent's living room

I'm old

Online CharleyHorse46

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2018, 11:27:27 AM »
Weird how some things stick in ones mind.

I was just 2 when JFK was shot so I don’t remember that particular event as a crystalized moment in time like most folks from the generations ahead of mine do.  But I have vague memories (either real or imagined) of everybody in my family being rather shaken by something.

I do remamber where I was during the ice bowl, when Texas beat Arkansas 15 to 14 in 1969, when man walked on the moon, when I heard about RFK and MLK being assisanated, when I heard General MacArthur had died, LBJ’s funeral, George Wallace getting shot, when some lady tried to kill Ford, when Reagan (and Brady) were shot,  when John Lennon died, when John Belushi died, when the Challenger exploded, when the Federal Building in OKC exploded, when 9/11 transpired, and when VY beat USC.

Online FearlessF

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2018, 12:03:59 PM »
Weird how some things stick in ones mind.

I was just 2 when JFK was shot so I don’t remember that particular event as a crystalized moment in time like most folks from the generations ahead of mine do.  But I have vague memories (either real or imagined) of everybody in my family being rather shaken by something.

I was less than two.  I do remember my mother sitting on the floor in front of the TV crying
Always thought it was JFK, but I was too young.
I assume it was MLK Jr.

Online CharleyHorse46

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2018, 11:31:16 AM »
I said upthread that I remember hearing General MacArthur had died.  That can't be right because he died in 1964.

I remember being in the classroom of a school I attended from the fall of 1968 through the spring of 1970.  And I remember my teacher with a beehive hairdo making a big sentimental speech about how America had just lost a hero.  I think we had to draw and color pictures of army generals with stars and medals to commemorate this tragedy.

Must've been Eisenhower.

Seems like the stupid teacher would've mentioned he had been a president as well as an army general.  I mean sheesh.  She would've left a better impression on me instead of a 50 year misunderstanding.

Eh.  Maybe she did mention it and my mind was wandering at the time.

It was March of 1969 and I was seven, so I was probably thinking about Burt Hooton on the mound for Texas, or humming Sly and the Family Stone's Everyday People, or watching Susan Turner, the cute little squirmy blonde who wore short dresses and sat at the desk in front of me.

A busy man like me can't be expected to hear everything a teacher has to say.  I caught part of it.

Online BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2018, 01:30:47 PM »
It was March of 1969 and I was seven, so I was probably thinking about Burt Hooton on the mound for Texas, or humming Sly and the Family Stone's Everyday People, or watching Susan Turner, the cute little squirmy blonde who wore short dresses and sat at the desk in front of me.

A busy man like me can't be expected to hear everything a teacher has to say.  I caught part of it.

You started early.

At 7, I was likely thinking about Roger Staubach's duel with Craig Morton, humming Sweet's Little Willy, or visualizing how I could keep my wheelie up for more than 20 feet.

Squirmy blonde in a short dress?  I would have never noticed.

Support the Site:
Please Search Amazon from here! No cost to you yet covers some of our expenses!