header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Michigan State 2018 Season Thread

(Read 14437 times)

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: Michigan State 2018 Offseason Thread
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2018, 03:24:16 PM »

We're you just as mad that nobody dug into Jabrill Peppers was running around giving everyone in Ann Arbor chlamydia?  Or did you write that off as one uncorroborated, unprovable account?
Even if verified - Why would any fan on either side care about those rumors? Apples to orangutans.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2018, 08:13:28 PM »
Even if verified - Why would any fan on either side care about those rumors? Apples to orangutans.
I mean, it's a crime, but ok, who cares?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 08:16:18 PM by ELA »

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2018, 08:20:07 PM »
If having a sexual partner get Chlamydia is a crime, then I'm a medical doctor who had no idea. Also it's whataboutism.

To me it is National Enquirer nothingness. The same as a president who has an extramarital affair. Even if he lies, I don't know why to care.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 08:22:17 PM by Anonymous Coward »

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2018, 08:28:05 PM »
If having a sexual partner get Chlamydia is a crime, then I'm a medical doctor who had no idea. Also it's whataboutism.

To me it is National Enquirer nothingness. The same as a president who has an extramarital affair. Even if he lies, I don't know why to care.
If you have chlamydia and dont disclose that to a parter, that is reckless endangerment, would could expose you to being charged with a felony.  I can't speak to Michigan's laws, and I'm sure it's rare, but his accuser claimed that it was a felony in Michigan.
Again, my only point is that never even came up on these boards, because generally our level of discourse here is above rumor mongering of one uncorroborated accuser without proof, even when the accusation is an actual crime...generally.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2018, 08:40:29 PM »
It came up on the boards. Mostly MSU boards but yes on the Michigan boards. But absent evidence of the happening and the knowledge, it's not worth caring about. What am I caring about? That maybe someone got Chlamydia but maybe not and maybe it was from the player but maybe not and maybe he knew but maybe not and ... feelings, man? It's so beneath us.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2018, 09:18:16 PM »
It came up on the boards. Mostly MSU boards but yes on the Michigan boards. But absent evidence of the happening and the knowledge, it's not worth caring about. What am I caring about? That maybe someone got Chlamydia but maybe not and maybe it was from the player but maybe not and maybe he knew but maybe not and ... feelings, man? It's so beneath us.
That a player committed a crime is not relevant?  ThYs your stance I guess, not mine.
I do think dabbling in uncorroborated rumor mongoring os below us, or at least used to be.  Which is why it never came up here.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2018, 09:54:33 PM »
It requires three to nine maybes to call it a crime. Does the public record have info to definitively get beyond even one of those maybes? If not, it's NatEnquirer-level nothing unless it further develops.
My main intent by calling it beneath us was that you had a better way to change the topic than "What about Peppers maybe having penis bacteria?"
By maintaining your disagreement about a potential N-word cultural pattern and simply waiting until the next news item, for example.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 10:14:39 PM by Anonymous Coward »

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2018, 10:13:34 PM »
It requires three to nine maybes to call it a crime. Do the public record have info to definitively get beyond even one of those maybes? If not, it's NatEnquirer-level nothing unless it further develops.
My main intent by calling it beneath us was that you had a better way to change the topic than "What about Peppers maybe having penis bacteria?"
By maintaining your disagreement about a potential N-word cultural pattern and simply waiting until the next news item, for example.
The point had nothing to do with what Peppers did or didn't have.
It was that we typically don't dive into rumor mongering.  Peppers was accused of a crime.  The nature of the accusation left a lot to be desired.  The team boards went there.  They live in rumor wasteland.  We didn't, maybe you want this place to be a lot more like those.  Seemingly yes.  Here, we have a lone accuser.  Again making an accusation in a manner that left a lot to be desired.  The team boards went there, we hadn't.  But, again, no teammates, no fellow MSU opponents openly corroborated.  The nature of ESPN seeking out MSU Dort right now, that the Tweet would be out there without them following up would be a shocking revelation.  So again, what do you want?  Outrage?  Go to the team boards where people like to thinly veil rooting interests under dogoodery.  The fact that the majority of likes that Tweet got were from UM fans, and that it was a UM fan that tried to use it to stir the pot here is entirely unsurprising to me too.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2018, 02:13:22 PM »
MSU and Oregon with another home and home.  Set for 2029 and 2030

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2018, 10:32:00 PM »
Sounds like the two most pleasant surprises of camp are a pair of RS freshmen on defense, DE Jack Camper and CB Shakur Brown.

Camper was recruited by everyone as TE, but played his Junior year at IMG at DE, because the nation's #1 TE recruit was ahead of him.  Moved back to TE, committed to MSU, practiced there last year, but got reps both ways.  Moved to DE and is in the mix with Jacob Panasiuk to start opposite Willekes.  TE is a position of need, so moving him away to DE alone is telling.

With Smith's retirement due to strokes, and Scott's injury, Brown has put himself neck and neck with Josh Butler, the presumed next man up, to start at corner opposite Layne.

The mystery of summer ball is the absence of presumed starting LB Antjuan Simmons, who hasn't even been seen in pads, but with no injury announcement.  Tyriq Thompson, who has always been extremely underwhelming, has been getting all of his reps.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2018, 01:02:42 PM »
Sigh. It's a small story but reminds us how openness and healing were never even on Engler's or the BoT's radar of interests.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/08/15/msu-alumni-mag-focuses-positives/987621002/

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2018, 01:10:46 PM »
I think it's pretty well established that Engler was just brought in the deal with the State House, and to handle the legal issues.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2018, 01:17:51 PM »
Established outside of the community? Of course. But inside the community, beginning with his initial address as president, the focus was about healing and transparency. I'm lamenting the extent to which that was just a ruse.
It's beating a dead horse, I guess. But that horse was an all-time ass and it feels too soon to move on.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 01:19:27 PM by Anonymous Coward »

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2018, 01:30:38 PM »
Nobody knew what the scope of the lawsuits was going to be, and certain state reps were talking defunding the university as a whole.  You have to say the right things, but ultimately simply surviving as an institution was the only goal at that point.  So you bring in a guy who has Lansing connections, and can quiet threats on that front, and can push through the lawsuits, then once you've ensured your own survival, you can begin the healing.  I've said repeatedly how horribly they handled it, but I still think they needed someone like that to get them through this portion, I just wish he had handled aspects of it better.

They announced this morning the 19 member panel to select the full time President.  That's the story now, and that's where we will see if they meant what they said.  Engler was never here for that purpose, and that was why he was never a permanent candidate.  I am obviously skeptical about how well any 19 person committee can work, but the purpose of it, is to fulfill their promise of inclusivity in the selection process, and I guess to include everyone, you somehow get to 19.  I'd be better off without any BOT members on the committee, but that was obviously impossible.  I just don't know how Ferguson, the worst of them all, made the cut.  But the representation of faculty, students, and others in higher education from around the state seems to me that they are taking their promise of inclusiveness seriously.  I just don't see how that ends in any sort of consensus, and as soon as you have people who don't think it's going in a direction they like (and with 19 people that's impossible to avoid) I imagine they'll be running to the press.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.