header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.

(Read 211349 times)

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.
« Reply #1288 on: January 02, 2019, 01:38:27 PM »
Same here.  Why prepare for near-certain death?  And how much fun would it really be, to struggle to survive in that post-apocalyptic world anyway? I mean, have you watched The Walking Dead?  Have you seen how dirty and grimy and gross and miserable that life is, even for the most powerful players?

Better just to enjoy life now and not worry about it all.

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #1289 on: January 02, 2019, 01:54:03 PM »
Yeah, I'm okay being one of the first to go and don't want to be one of the last standing, having to scour or fight for resources. 

I am unimportant and don't have kids so I don't have any reason to stick around or try to protect anyone else, and I'd rather just die before having to kill someone else so I'm not wired for self-protection anyway.   "Kill or be killed" - give me #2. 

That said, we do have a stash of stuff that the husband has stocked up like some kind of doomsday prepper, but I rationalize it by considering it hurricane/emergency stuff (mostly obscene amounts of canned goods, water jugs, etc).    He hasn't presented the idea of a bunker or moving to a more survival-worthy location, so I don't think he's too serious about the doomsday efforts.   

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1290 on: January 02, 2019, 02:34:09 PM »
Yup.
People that dislike the current president believe we're only a hair's breadth away from certain destruction.

Donald Trump lets Jimmy Fallon mess up his hair - YouTube
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1291 on: January 02, 2019, 02:37:33 PM »
He picked it due to its proximity to natural resources like fresh water and fertile farming land, as well as relative seclusion from population centers, for when the apocalypse occurs. Not kidding...

most folks would not kid about this..........
Smokey referred to me as Amigo last night and told me to swing by his place anytime
I'd probably bring along some corn-fed beef as a house warming gift if I ever visit
Smokey liked his steaks
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1292 on: January 02, 2019, 02:53:12 PM »
most folks would not kid about this..........
Smokey referred to me as Amigo last night and told me to swing by his place anytime
I'd probably bring along some corn-fed beef as a house warming gift if I ever visit
Smokey liked his steaks
Might ought to make it jerky, so it will be appropriate for the anti-apocalypse stores. :)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #1293 on: January 02, 2019, 03:13:07 PM »
Or Campbell's Thick and Hearty Soup.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #1294 on: January 02, 2019, 03:18:27 PM »
Yeah, I'm okay being one of the first to go and don't want to be one of the last standing, having to scour or fight for resources.
Me too.
I don't even like to camp out anymore.
I used to, when I was single.  Back then, camping out just meant throwing a sleeping bag, 12 pack and some Slim Jims in the truck.
My irresistibly sweet cute and adorable wife, on the other hand, likes to take all of our condiments in a sloshy 80 lb ice chest that's always in the wrong place.  If it's in the back of the car, it needs to be by the picnic table because we're about to eat.  If it's by the picnic table, it needs to be in the back of the car so raccoons won't steal our soy sauce.
I can just see myself in a dystopian, post-apocalyptic world: trudging along with a sloshy 80 lb ice chest in my hands with my 1 s c & a w at my heels, imploring me to find more ice soon or the mayonnaise will go bad.
I don't want to be there then as that guy.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #1295 on: January 02, 2019, 03:22:26 PM »
I will confess that we've done this once.  When the Gulf War started, my then gf now wife's apartment was on Connecticut Ave in DC roughly smack in between the Kuwaiti embassy on one side and the Israeli embassy on the other (within a 1/2 mile of either).  So, in a fit of what-ifs, we bought cases of peas, corn, and pinto beans  This was in the pre-Costco days before these kind of buys became routine.  And then, once we were back at the apt with all these cans, and it hit us how silly we were being, because even if one of these places were bombed it's not like we're suddenly going to be in need of a can of beans, and opened a bottle of wine and had a good laugh over it all.

But I'll have to admit, having those canned veggies on hand was kind of convenient ...

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #1296 on: January 02, 2019, 03:36:20 PM »
I'll make a confession too.

I saw Blue Lagoon when I was about 18 and after doing so I had serious thoughts about being stranded on a small island with Brooke Shields.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #1297 on: January 02, 2019, 07:09:38 PM »
I'd move to TN just because they have a full 4 seasons and I heard the summers aren't as brutal.  I wouldn't mind trading 10-15 degrees in the winter colder for about the same less heat in the summer.  

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1298 on: January 02, 2019, 07:15:00 PM »
I'd move to TN just because they have a full 4 seasons and I heard the summers aren't as brutal.  I wouldn't mind trading 10-15 degrees in the winter colder for about the same less heat in the summer.  
its hot as hell in Texas so dont move here
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1299 on: January 02, 2019, 07:24:39 PM »
4 full seasons means they have a real winter.  No thanks.

Central Texas is plenty hot in the summer, but still too cold for me in the winter.  My next stop very well might be somewhere very very tropical in the Caribbean, or maybe Hawaii.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #1300 on: January 03, 2019, 12:08:10 AM »
4 full seasons means they have a real winter.  No thanks.

Central Texas is plenty hot in the summer, but still too cold for me in the winter.  My next stop very well might be somewhere very very tropical in the Caribbean, or maybe Hawaii.
It's easy for me to say this because I've never lived through a full hard winter but I really don't mind the cold. I've been in CO when the daytime temps never got out of the low 20's and the night time temps got down into the teens and I never really felt that cold.  Of course, I was properly clothed and I was only there for a few days.  It snowed several inches here last winter in SE Texas and I really enjoy it. I much prefer a slightly colder winter to a slightly hotter summer.  You can always put on more clothes or build a bigger fire but you cannot make an A/C fire in summer.  Ideally, I'd prefer a place that the average summer high (Dog Days) of summer reached just under or slightly above 90*F with low relative humidity and where winter temps averaged in the 30's or 20's.  I'm not sure geographically speaking where that would be.  Perhaps Northern Arkansas or Southern Missouri?  I think Tenn would be a little colder than that. I've never visited but I have family there I should go see.  

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #1301 on: January 03, 2019, 01:52:27 AM »
I like it over 50 and under 90.  Basically the storage instructions for anything you buy at Lowes.  Why should I have to endure weather that ain’t even fit for glue, stain, laminate or latex paint?

I also like no rattlesnakes and nearby HEBs.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.