header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Shouldn’t there be an Astros thread here?

(Read 19254 times)

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: Shouldn’t there be an Astros thread here?
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2017, 05:42:25 PM »
Not gay but long beards are nasty.  Nice, tight 5 o'clock shadows are fine, but how did scraggly crap ever fall into the chicks dig it category?

And another thing.  Black rims.  How did this ever catch on?  At least paint your tires white or something.  Black rims, Black tires.  From a distance, just looks like your hubcaps were stolen.  And you paid $2000 for that?

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2017, 05:50:46 PM »
I like cricket.  My Pakistani roommate in grad school hooked me into that. Would love to go to a match sometime in a cricket oriented country, even if it lasted a week!
One of my TAs in undergrad, who became one of my best friends, was a Brit who attempted to introduce me to cricket.

I tried to get into it, really I did.  After a while he admitted to me that he liked baseball much better.  So we went to a lot of UT baseball games together.  He also grew to love American football, and country music.  For his graduation with his PhD in Acoustical Engineering from UT, I gave him a pair of really nice Tony Lama boots.  He didn't want to accept them and thought they were far too expensive.  He'd been a masters/doctoral student all those years scrimping by, but by then I'd spent a couple years in the workforce, and I told him I could afford it and he deserved it.  After all, he'd been one of my letters of recommendation for landing that job in the first place.  And he wore those boots pretty much every day from then on.

In an unrelated tangent, his name was Tom Kite, and he had his number listed in the Austin phone book.  People would call him and ask if he were really Tom Kite.  He'd answer in his perfect Oxford English accent, "Why yes, I am Tom Kite, how may I help you?"  I told him he should unlist his number, but I think he really got a kick out of it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:54:50 PM by utee94 »

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2017, 06:31:15 PM »
That’s really cool that you got him those boots.  

I mainly turned on to cricket when I had an appendectomy and spent about a week plus in bed recovering at the same time the cricket World Cup was on.  I read up on the rules and then listened to the broadcasts of the games, and followed it play by play on my phone, just like I do baseball games.  And I was in correspondence with the roommate I mentioned throughout.  He had a running account of the cup on Facebook and so I stayed up with his blog and then took even a deeper dive on my own.

There’s an aspect to cricket that I really like, and that’s each player only gets one out per side.  So a really good player might make an out early on, and it changes the whole calculus of the match.  Puts a continual air of excitement into it, ie that every player is living on the knife edge of disaster, that really amps up the tension.  So the game is like a slow burn but yet the fire is still very hot.  

But you know I basically like any sport that includes a moving ball, just like my dear golden may she RIP.  So cricket qualifies, bigtime, for me.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:34:08 PM by CousinFreddie »

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2017, 09:38:52 PM »
I often turn down the volume, but rarely turn off a good game

13 or 14 innings is much better than a blow-out that's over in the 5th inning

luv that Dodgers bullpen!
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2017, 10:21:40 PM »
That’s really cool that you got him those boots.  

I mainly turned on to cricket when I had an appendectomy and spent about a week plus in bed recovering at the same time the cricket World Cup was on.  I read up on the rules and then listened to the broadcasts of the games, and followed it play by play on my phone, just like I do baseball games.  And I was in correspondence with the roommate I mentioned throughout.  He had a running account of the cup on Facebook and so I stayed up with his blog and then took even a deeper dive on my own.

There’s an aspect to cricket that I really like, and that’s each player only gets one out per side.  So a really good player might make an out early on, and it changes the whole calculus of the match.  Puts a continual air of excitement into it, ie that every player is living on the knife edge of disaster, that really amps up the tension.  So the game is like a slow burn but yet the fire is still very hot.  

But you know I basically like any sport that includes a moving ball, just like my dear golden may she RIP.  So cricket qualifies, bigtime, for me.
Yup, I get that, and that's a good way to put it.  

Of course, modern cricket has been changed dramatically, and as I understand it the "major" version of the sport no longer has matches that last 1-2 weeks.  I have no doubt that's a good thing for modernizing it, but of course there's that nostalgic part of me that wouldn't mind rolling back pretty much EVERY sport a few decades.

I don't know why, but we're talking about our non-American friends and I feel compelled to mention this extremely sad footnote to my above story, perhaps as some sort of memorial or tribute to my truly dear friend Tom Kite, whom none of you knew or will ever know-- but honestly, I've known many of you longer than some of my "real life friends" and I feel a connection that I wouldn't ever want to change.

My dear friend Tom Kite died two years ago from his second bout with colon cancer.  He "beat" it the first time though he had major surgery that removed a section of his colon. He was okay for a couple years but then it resurfaced again, and this time he was less fortunate.  As far as I know he never did anything that would have put him at risk, though admittedly I don't really know the risk factors for colon cancer.  But he exercised regularly, ate well and didn't over-indulge in pretty much anything.  He was perfectly fit, until the cancer appeared in his colon.  I suppose there's a genetic predisposition,  I don't really know, and both his mother and father have survived him and were of course devastated.

I'm  a guy that went to a tough engineering school and a tough MBA grad program and has known plenty of brilliant people throughout my life.  I can say without question that Tom Kite is the smartest person I've ever known, and likely will ever know, and he was also kind and funny and ironic and amazing.  He was one year older than me, which means he was 44 when he died two years ago.  Ain't that a bitch?

I'm rambling now.  So I'll raise a toast to my friend Tom Kite, who never played golf in his life, but enjoyed a pint of English Bitter as much as I did.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:24:38 PM by utee94 »

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2017, 08:28:27 AM »
I'm sorry for your loss, as well as all others that knew Tom Kite.  It seems the great ones are taken too soon, that's for sure, and his legacy remains through the memories that you and others shared with him.  Fuck Cancer. 

Shiner

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2017, 09:57:51 AM »
I agree that a 162 game season is a bit ridiculous.  There is no reason it should take that long or that many games to determine the best teams in each league.  The season could be cut in half and you'd be fine.  Of course, that would lead to fewer games...  which means longer breaks between games... which means your best pitchers are pitching more.... leading to less scoring.... etc.  And oh yeah, that ol' issue of far less revenue for owners.  So it won't ever happen.....

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2017, 10:07:11 AM »
I agree that a 162 game season is a bit ridiculous.  There is no reason it should take that long or that many games to determine the best teams in each league.  The season could be cut in half and you'd be fine.  Of course, that would lead to fewer games...  which means longer breaks between games... which means your best pitchers are pitching more.... leading to less scoring.... etc.  And oh yeah, that ol' issue of far less revenue for owners.  So it won't ever happen.....
what if everyone had the same attitude about beer
I mean you can tell which beer you like with only one sip
why do ya need to drink the whole thing
baseball is to be enjoyed not tolerated
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2017, 10:17:11 AM »
I'm sorry for your loss, as well as all others that knew Tom Kite.  It seems the great ones are taken too soon, that's for sure, and his legacy remains through the memories that you and others shared with him.  Fuck Cancer.

Im a little confused
Tom Kite the great golfer did not pass away
Tom Kite (golfer) did lose his wife to cancer but he is still alive
must be someone with same name
and Im sorry for your loss also
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2017, 10:51:54 AM »
When I was a kid, I was almost exclusively a football fan.  College baseball was tolerable but the MLB took too long.  I could follow the Stros for a few weeks or maybe a month but then I'd lose interest for a while.   And it was kind of nice that way.  Like background noise you could tune in or tune out.

As I've gotten older, my circumstances and my tastes have changed.  Things have changed too.

Football used to be cut and dried.  Hits were hits, tackles were tackles, fumbles were fumbles, catches were catches.   Now everything is so dissected and over-analyzed it actually seems to be driven by the refs interpretation of each event.

Not as much fun as it used to be.

And yet my kids have been playing for the last 15 years so I've almost had my fill.

But baseball is a nice change of pace, lovely and lyrical.  I've started hitting H-town in April to get the first taste of sports after March Madness and I've started playing fantasy baseball so I have a vested interest in following the success of players throughout the league.   Games are fun.  The history is amazing.   Hell, they've been keeping records since the Civil War and the Stros are breaking some of them this year.   

It's amazing!  I love it.  

I just had to grow into it.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2017, 03:12:15 PM »
Im a little confused
Tom Kite the great golfer did not pass away
Tom Kite (golfer) did lose his wife to cancer but he is still alive
must be someone with same name
and Im sorry for your loss also
Yes, you are confused.  I'm talking about a different person with the same name.  Moose out front should have told you. :)

And, thanks.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2017, 03:13:53 PM »
I'm a big fan of college baseball.  I just don't care much for the MLB version.

Of course, I've been to plenty of MLB games live, and that's enjoyable to me.  

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2017, 03:14:57 PM »
baseball is a beautiful game with many situations based on timing

some folks simply do not appreciate it

but, that's OK, some folks like myself, just don't appreciate a beautiful movie plot 
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2017, 03:17:02 PM »
I prefer college baseball to MLB, but MLB hasn't warped into something horrid like NBA basketball

MLB is still watchable - especially the playoffs or the world serious

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.