header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Nebraska 2018 Season Thread

(Read 51902 times)

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Nebraska 2017 Offseason Thread
« Reply #476 on: January 30, 2018, 08:00:14 PM »
you are correct, sir

Billy C. and Mike Riley didn't embrace the walkon program like Solich, Pelini and now Frost

obviously, Bo's walkons helped him win 9 a year

"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #477 on: January 30, 2018, 08:51:46 PM »
Billy C thought he was running a NFL 50 whatever man roster.  Not only did he kick the walk ons to the curb, he wanted nothing to do with older players/alums and was totally absent from the types of coaching clinics within the state, which were so invaluable.

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #478 on: January 31, 2018, 11:12:06 AM »
Billy C did not embrace walkons.  I'm not sure I'd say Riley didn't embrace them, but his staff didn't connect well with them.   He had a Nebraska guy on the staff whose job was to build walkon relationships and identify targets.   IMO, the state either considers you an insider or an outsider and the coaches/players in the state act accordingly.   Guys this year are turning down scholarships to walkon.   Last few years, they ended up at south Dakota state or Montana st.   Part of that, to be fair, is system and style.   Pro style offenses are not that popular at the HS level in the state.   I think that also has a lot to do with the impression of walking-on at UNL vs not.... or insider vs outsider.  jmo
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 02:59:46 PM by Entropy »

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #479 on: January 31, 2018, 11:56:54 AM »
Guys this year are turning down scholarships to walkon.   Last few years, they ended up at south Dakota state or Montana st.   
That is exactly what UW gets with its walk-on players. They even get some with offers from mid-majors, like Minnesota, too.

(Kids from Minnie pay in-state tuition at Wisconsin via reciprocal agreement between the two schools.)
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

DevilFroggy

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #480 on: January 31, 2018, 05:28:55 PM »
Regarding the two huskers injured during the winter S&C program, reading between the lines in Frost's statement he threw mad shade at Riley. Not saying Frost is wrong either, just think it's funny more than anything.
I thought I settled my debts that night on the ride home
But I have still got hell to pay

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #481 on: February 01, 2018, 08:57:36 AM »
Big Ten Network expected to carry Nebraska spring game live
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #482 on: February 01, 2018, 09:11:22 AM »
I think BTN carried all of the live last year. I remember watching several.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #483 on: February 01, 2018, 09:56:14 AM »
Last year OSU was live and UNL was tape delayed.   I'd expect all the spring games to be on BTN... just several tape delayed

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #484 on: February 01, 2018, 04:42:37 PM »
Bill Moos has begun the conversation with the people who matter about the possibility of Iowa being Nebraska's permanent opponent for the Black Friday game.

"I have talked to both the Big Ten and to my counterpart at Iowa about the prospects of really starting to develop a true rivalry between our two schools," the Husker athletic director told Nebraska247 on Wednesday. "And especially in football, that game on an annual basis, whether at their place or ours, be on that Friday following Thanksgiving."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #485 on: February 07, 2018, 09:12:14 PM »
The Red-White Spring Game is sold out.

The crowd that comes to Memorial Stadium on April 21 will smash the spring game record of 80,149, set in 2008.

Making the feat even more impressive: Tickets just went on sale Tuesday. Season-ticket holders scooped up more than 57,000 between 10 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, the school announced then, and the remainder quickly disappeared on Wednesday morning.

I got my 4 tickets at 10:02 this morning

nose bleed on the east side

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #486 on: February 07, 2018, 10:21:31 PM »
Nebraska football player Chris Weber was chosen as this year’s male Wayne Duke Award winner, announced by the Big Ten Conference on Tuesday. The award is an annual $10,000 scholarship recognizing one male and one female Big Ten senior pursuing a postgraduate degree for achievements in academics, athletics, extracurricular activities and leadership. On the women’s side, Rutgers’ golfer Emily Mills earned the honor.

Weber was a standout on and off the field throughout his Nebraska career. An Elkhorn High graduate, Weber will graduate from UNL in May and carries a 3.96 cumulative grade-point average in nutrition science, and has already been accepted to medical school at UNMC.  On the field, Weber was a 2017 team captain and led the Huskers with 95 tackles and nine tackles for loss. He had four games with at least 10 tackles during his senior season.

Weber has also been instrumental in NU’s Life Skills program, as Weber has been named to the Brook Berringer and the Tom Osborne teams in each of the past four years. Earlier this year, Weber led NU’s Uplifting Athletes Road Race efforts, raising more than $35,000 for pediatric cancer research this year and more than $125,000 over the past four years.

Nebraska has had the male winner four of the past six years, which includes three football student-athletes. In 2013 and 2014, Nebraska had both the male and female winners.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #487 on: February 12, 2018, 04:40:53 PM »
Lest there were any doubts, Nebraska's annual Red-White Spring Game on April 21 will be televised live on The Big Ten Network.

Kickoff (assuming the scrimmage commences with a kickoff) is set for 11 a.m.

The early start time, as opposed to the usual early-afternoon start, is "primarily to accommodate Big Ten Network," Nebraska athletic director Bill Moos said earlier this month. It also follows the new coaching staff's preference toward earlier practices.

BTN has shown the scrimmage on a tape-delay basis in recent years.

The event sold out last week in a little more than 24 hours.

"I think with the interest and excitement that's surrounding the program right now, people would show up if it was at 5:30 in the morning," Moos said. "But it's important we get the exposure we need throughout our conference footprint and beyond as we start this new chapter of Nebraska football."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #488 on: February 14, 2018, 04:09:35 PM »
127 years ago, Nebraska and Doane hooked up for a one-of-a-kind Valentine's Day football show

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/years-ago-nebraska-and-doane-hooked-up-for-a-one/article_6d5e4d76-d0ea-11e5-87bb-13077e5e1619.html

After that first meeting, the cheerful mood was furthered when the Nebraska contingent was invited to a postgame reception at Doane's Gaylord Hall. Speeches were given about the game of football, and both teams spoke about a possible rematch. Other entertainment was provided as well. "Miss Chase favored the audience with a solo, and the Adelphian trio-quartette as usual took the house by storm," wrote the Owl.

From NU's Hesperian: "It may truthfully be said that Doane was far more successful at entertaining than she was at foot ball. This perhaps may be accounted for largely from the fact that in the former her co-eds took a prominent part."

In keeping with the Valentine's Day spirit, the Owl reported that guests from both schools spent the remainder of the evening "getting mutually acquainted."
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:15:07 PM by FearlessF »

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #489 on: February 15, 2018, 01:49:33 AM »
Bill Moos has begun the conversation with the people who matter about the possibility of Iowa being Nebraska's permanent opponent for the Black Friday game.

"I have talked to both the Big Ten and to my counterpart at Iowa about the prospects of really starting to develop a true rivalry between our two schools," the Husker athletic director told Nebraska247 on Wednesday. "And especially in football, that game on an annual basis, whether at their place or ours, be on that Friday following Thanksgiving."
Let's set it up at a neutral place midway. Drake Stadium. 20,000 people cheering for beer. I shouldn't try to make ISU irrelevant, but that could be another midway point. Feeling evil tonight.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.