header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.

(Read 213945 times)

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.
« Reply #168 on: November 20, 2017, 04:55:03 PM »
I saw your post on the Big10 board about WW! and the Civil War
Buford is one of my favorite Gettysburg subjects
Buford is my favorite too.  But more along the lines of Buford T. Justice.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2017, 05:06:18 PM »
Buford is my favorite too.  But more along the lines of Buford T. Justice.
No BC this is John Buford a Cavalry Officer for the Union at Gettysburg
The Union had a second Cavalry division at Gettysburg with George Custer its commanding officer
anyway Buford's cavalry was the first to make contact with the south on the 1st day of battle and is credited with keeping the South from getting the high ground there
which might have caused a union defeat
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2017, 03:04:20 PM »
ok how bout this

OU barely wins in overtime against TCU

Clemson struggles to beat Miami but does after 2 overtimes (all the eastern sports writers says its the greatest game ever played)

Wisc completely blows out Ohio St winning by 4 TDs

result

Alabama
Clemson
Wisc
Miami

and the Big 12 gets the shaft

just giving you something to think about
OU's a bigger helmet than Clemson and Miami put together.  And ESPN's selection committee isn't about to put two teams in from the same conference and piss off over half the country in doing so, unless they absolutely must because a bunch of P5 conferences end up with 3-loss champs or something.  The sole goal of ESPN's selection commimttee is to maximize television ratings, so selecting helmet teams with major national appeal, and getting as much geographic diversity among the playoff contenders, is of paramount importance to them.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2017, 03:20:49 PM »
if OU does not win big over TCU they run the risk of not being selected

Im not sure the committee considers the Big 12 a P5 conference
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2017, 03:26:39 PM »
OU's a bigger helmet than Clemson and Miami put together.
Hmm, I dunno.  It's the "put together" part that gets me.

Clemson has the NC going for them.  (what have you done for me lately...)

And Miami is "The U", and all the trappings that go along with that (for better or worse).

I would say more people on a national level would tune in for a Miami Hurricanes bowl game than an Oklahoma Sooners bowl game.  The Hurricanes have an extra coastal demographic that the Sooners don't have, while most of the heartland demographic will still watch the infamous Hurricanes.

But I'm not talking "helmet" per say, I'm talking TV ratings, which I'm not sure are exactly the same.

On a helmet scale, I'll say:
OU=10
Miami=8
Clemson=6
Meaning Miami + Clemson = 14 > OU.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2017, 03:29:12 PM »
I'm not sure I do either.
I would think nothing if TCU beat OU in the rematch.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2017, 04:06:08 PM »
it would serve the Big12 right if TCU wins

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2017, 04:25:37 PM »
it would serve the Big12 right if TCU wins
It's a "flip a coin" scenario.  I mean, TCU can do anything that Iowa State can do.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2017, 04:30:39 PM »
if OU does not win big over TCU they run the risk of not being selected

If OU wins by one point, they're a 1-loss conference champ.  ESPN's selection committee isn't going to put in a 2-loss team over them.  Some of y'all are smoking crack.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2017, 04:32:59 PM »
TCU isn't a helmet, and they already have 2 losses including a loss to OU.  They could definitely get passed over if they beat OU and are a 2-loss conference champ.  Same would be true if Indiana won the B1G with 2 losses, Kentucky won the SEC with 2 losses, Washington State won the PAC with 2 losses, or Duke won the ACC with 2 losses.  It's not about the conference at that point, it's about the lack of helmet status.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2017, 04:50:21 PM »
If OU wins by one point, they're a 1-loss conference champ.  ESPN's selection committee isn't going to put in a 2-loss team over them.  Some of y'all are smoking crack.
Nobody said anything about a 2 loss team being elevated over OU
Both Clemson and Miami would have 1 loss if Clemson beats Miami in the CC game

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2017, 05:16:50 PM »
The helmet schools are (in no particular order) - Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama. Ohio State, Nebraska, Penn State and USC.

Just those nine and none other.  You rank them by most wins, you get those nine.  You rank them by winning percentage, you get those nine.  No one else comes close in both categories.  That's why it's only these nine.  

Michigan hasn't won an MNC since 1997.  So what?  It's still these nine.

Texas and Nebraska have been bad.  So what?  Still these nine.

But what about Tennessee, Georgia, A&M and Michigan State?  You don't become a helmet school by playing helmet schools or by having campuses in close proximity to other helmet schools.  You're either a helmet school or not.

BYU is usually good.  Won an MNC.  Ain't never going to be a helmet school.

Clemson is good.  Won a couple of MNCs.   Ain't never going to be a helmet school.

There are, however, two additional tenuous helmets.   That's not to say they have always been helmet schools like the other nine or will always be helmet schools but at this moment in time they sit at the table.

Additional tenuous helmet school # 1 is LSU.  People have this vague idea they were once good back in the 1950s when Dennis Quaid played for them.  And they've won several (or so it seems) MNCs in recent years.  So we'll give them that despite their lack of blue blood.  

Additional tenuous helmet school # 2 is the vague notion Floridian of success that gives a luster to Florida, Florida State and Miami.  It's like none of them have the history to own a helmet but collectively they share one.  So if a helmet represents 10 points, at any given time each of the three Florida schools may be splitting a 10 point pie.  Some years, one of the three may have 8.  Other years, two have three and one has four.  But they squabble over that helmet and it's more than most non-helmet teams have.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 05:18:55 PM by CharleyHorse46 »

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2017, 05:28:13 PM »
Nobody said anything about a 2 loss team being elevated over OU
Both Clemson and Miami would have 1 loss if Clemson beats Miami in the CC game

They're not putting in a 1-loss non-champ, either.  And they're not putting in two teams from the same conference unless they have zero other options.  You're doing all sorts of weird mental gymnastics to manufacture a slight to the B12.  It's silly and unnecessary.  If OU wins out, they're in.  It really is just that simple.
Now the B12 could certainly get left out if TCU wins out and beats OU, but they'd be a 2-loss conference champ.  And of course they're decidedly NON helmet.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2017, 05:29:19 PM »
The helmet schools are (in no particular order) - Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama. Ohio State, Nebraska, Penn State and USC.

Just those nine and none other.  You rank them by most wins, you get those nine.  You rank them by winning percentage, you get those nine.  No one else comes close in both categories.  That's why it's only these nine.  

Michigan hasn't won an MNC since 1997.  So what?  It's still these nine.

Texas and Nebraska have been bad.  So what?  Still these nine.

But what about Tennessee, Georgia, A&M and Michigan State?  You don't become a helmet school by playing helmet schools or by having campuses in close proximity to other helmet schools.  You're either a helmet school or not.

BYU is usually good.  Won an MNC.  Ain't never going to be a helmet school.

Clemson is good.  Won a couple of MNCs.   Ain't never going to be a helmet school.

There are, however, two additional tenuous helmets.   That's not to say they have always been helmet schools like the other nine or will always be helmet schools but at this moment in time they sit at the table.

Additional tenuous helmet school # 1 is LSU.  People have this vague idea they were once good back in the 1950s when Dennis Quaid played for them.  And they've won several (or so it seems) MNCs in recent years.  So we'll give them that despite their lack of blue blood.  

Additional tenuous helmet school # 2 is the vague notion Floridian of success that gives a luster to Florida, Florida State and Miami.  It's like none of them have the history to own a helmet but collectively they share one.  So if a helmet represents 10 points, at any given time each of the three Florida schools may be splitting a 10 point pie.  Some years, one of the three may have 8.  Other years, two have three and one has four.  But they squabble over that helmet and it's more than most non-helmet teams have.
Yup, all of this.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.