header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.

(Read 214871 times)

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.
« Reply #1190 on: December 14, 2018, 11:47:01 AM »
Well I'm glad I'm not alone.  Son #1 is already 15 and has taken drivers ed but has not yet got his permit. He really doesn't seem all that excited about driving. I'm like utee, I got my DL on the day I turned 16 (actually the day after, I flunked the first test because I hit the cone parallel parking).  I think he has to have his LP for 6 mo before he gets his license.  I've told him he's going to feel really stupid sitting at the house this summer when all his friends are out doing things.  We've even discussed what kind of car to buy etc.  He works, he helps me at my part-time business ( I fix water wells on the side).  He's a good worker, knows much more than many people in their 20's at my regular job.  He just doesn't seem really motivated to get his DL when he turns 16 and he's not alone, I've met many kids with the same attitude.  

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #1191 on: December 14, 2018, 11:50:03 AM »
Speaking of kids driving, I checked into insurance and just to add him to our policy we have now (two vehicles, one a '16 car and one a '16 truck) is $200/month.  I was checking into buying a 2018 Ram, which I can buy for about $20,000 and the insurance alone was $350/mo.  Ain't gonna happen.  Now we're looking at vehicles in the $8-12K range.  

Any tips?  

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #1192 on: December 14, 2018, 12:02:17 PM »
In Texas you add kids to insurance when they get their real DL, not when they have a learners.

If your kid is in no hurry to drive, count your blessings.  Why be in a hurry to pay more $.

Get him a beater and pay liability only.  When he goes off to college you can upgrade.

Look into multi-car/home policy discounts, good student discounts, etc.  Be sure to identify the primary driver for each vehicle (read - the kid doesn’t drive the new vehicles).

I’ve been happy with GEICO.  They partner with Travelers for home owners policies.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #1193 on: December 14, 2018, 12:11:53 PM »
PS when you take your kid to get his learner’s permit and they tell you that you need proof of insurance, don’t freak out & imagine you have to add Jr to the policy then.  Mom & dad’s proof of insurance will suffice.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #1194 on: December 14, 2018, 12:13:22 PM »
In Texas you add kids to insurance when they get their real DL, not when they have a learners.

If your kid is in no hurry to drive, count your blessings.  Why be in a hurry to pay more $.

Get him a beater and pay liability only.  When he goes off to college you can upgrade.

Look into multi-car/home policy discounts, good student discounts, etc.  Be sure to identify the primary driver for each vehicle (read - the kid doesn’t drive the new vehicles).

I’ve been happy with GEICO.  They partner with Travelers for home owners policies.
Yep, I've got that figured out.  I hear you on counting my blessings, it's just a little strange to me.  

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1195 on: December 14, 2018, 12:24:47 PM »
One of the scariest moments in a parents life is when their teenage child drives away alone in the family car for the first time
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #1196 on: December 14, 2018, 01:45:32 PM »
Less teen drivers on the road, the better, I say! 

signed, 
terrible former-teen driver who got in too many wrecks and got kicked of parents' insurance policy as 'high risk'

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1197 on: December 15, 2018, 01:00:38 AM »
Sure,

Also, the fewer old AF dickweeds who can't see shit and suck at driving on the road, the better.

Or basically, the fewer that are not me on the road, the better. :)

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1198 on: December 15, 2018, 08:50:31 AM »
Sure,

Also, the fewer old AF dickweeds who can't see shit and suck at driving on the road, the better.

Or basically, the fewer that are not me on the road, the better. :)
you just need to stay off the roads between 10 and 2 when us old folks come out to play
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #1199 on: December 15, 2018, 10:58:08 AM »
What kills me are Honda CRV drivers. 

Don’t care whether they’re young, old, male, female, white, black, brown or yellow.

There just seems to be something about a Honda CRV that makes its driver dawdle much slower than the other traffic, wander from lane to lane, make absurdity wide turns, and even stop for no reason in traffic.

If any of you drive a Honda CRV, examine yourself and straighten up.  You’re the worst.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 11:02:06 AM by CharleyHorse46 »

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1200 on: December 15, 2018, 12:05:37 PM »
I was watchimg Jerry Seinfeld the other day and he was talking about this very subject

He asked "just at what age does a person stop looking behind them when they back up?"

"They just trust in God that its clear"

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1201 on: December 15, 2018, 02:08:52 PM »
Jesus take the wheel
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1202 on: December 17, 2018, 08:10:12 AM »
I haven't noticed that about Honda CRVs.  For me, it's always been minivan drivers.  I get it, it typically goes hand in hand with having a carload full of distractions, but any time I see a minivan on the road, I just steer well clear. Or find an alternate route.  

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #1203 on: December 17, 2018, 10:51:58 AM »
We don't see as many minivans as we used to.  Mom's drive crossovers now.

The only time I see minivans is at the Enterprise Rent-a-Car at the El Paso Airport.  They must've bought all of Dodge's Caravans.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.