header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: You Know What I Hate....?

(Read 82861 times)

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
Re: You Know What I Hate....?
« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2018, 08:37:38 PM »
I had it happen to me again yesterday, driving home from work.

Coming north on U.S. 75 just south of I-44, coasting downhill, speed slowly dropping from 70 to 65 (in a 65 zone), 100 yards before the downhill exit ramp to merge onto the I-44 eastbound access lane, a pickup blew past me in the left lane (he had not been following me in my lane--the closest guy was about 10 car lengths back), cut in front of me just in time to slam on his brakes so that he wouldn't tip over, and he took the exit ramp at about 30 mph.  In my Boss 302, I can easily coast through that ramp at 60+, lose speed gradually as the ramp goes from downhill to slightly uphill to merge with the I-44 access lane.  I have to yield to the traffic on that lane, so normally I accelerate as necessary to either merge well ahead of that traffic or to slide in right behind it.

But, no.  Mr. Pickup Driver had his brakes on the entire time, so I had to do the same.

I smoothly passed him on his left as we merged onto I-44, but a mile or so down the road, here he came again, in the far left lane doing about 80.

Slack-jawed jackanape.  In his mind, he's the only guy on the road who matters.
Play Like a Champion Today

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2018, 09:59:20 AM »
unless pickup boy has a lift kit, he can probably coast through that ramp at 60+ as well.  Not as easily as the mustang, but he just doesn't know the limits of his vehicle and doesn't know how to drive
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2018, 01:31:15 PM »
...In my Boss 302...  
Smoothly played offhanded humble brag.  My 19 year old gf agrees.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2018, 03:59:58 PM »
I like sleeping.

Not only does it recharge ones batteries, it also helps people bond.  Ever held your sleeping new born baby child to your chest?  It’s the best.

I also like being able to go back to the essentials to make things right.

When I feel sad or angry or depressed, I take inventory.  Am I eating right?  Am I getting exercise?  Am I getting enough sleep?

It’s amazing how many demons you can chase away by doing those few things right.
taking the inventory is the problem... insomnia isn't the problem.  laying down and becoming quiet starts a manual review of the days actions and planning the next- mental preparations, as it is.. which initiates actions to complete those preparations that should be done at the present instead of laying there worthless and just thinking about it. 
and i do love to sleep.  i just don't as i should because there are things to do... 
as far as children- i will read to my 4 (about to turn 5) year old at bedtime and answer her questions- which usually turns into a Q&A period that has turned into my favorite time of the day.  it's amazing how engaged she is with complex things in the world, listening to conversations and holding her questions to the end of the day for explanation- often shoving them through her filter pf experiences and asking "is that like"- which surprisingly often is 'like'... it's often 'like' more than it isn't.  all i was interested in at her age was fishing and things that went fast... sign of the times?  growing up too fast?  whatever it is, and making this relevant... I think i may hate that.  i'd rather she not be aware of the world as far as the nastiness such as lacking integrity and honor, and people doing bad things to others.  i'd rather her be laser focused on something wholesome and pure like children of days long gone could do. technology bombarding us with information from all angles isn't going to stop- she's exposed to things my parents and their parents never had to worry about.. well, they never had to worry about their children being exposed to them without their express intent. 

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2018, 05:28:21 PM »
I hate, when at a busy gas pump, the person pumps thei gas tank full and then goes into the store to shop for crap for 25 minutes
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2018, 07:13:08 PM »
I hate, when at a busy gas pump, the person pumps thei gas tank full and then goes into the store to shop for crap for 25 minutes
Yep.  Gotta pull out and park the car first.  Can't keep blocking the pump from others using it.

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2018, 07:26:44 PM »
Heh!
I knew as I was typing it that that was going to come off looking bad, but here's what I was trying to say, and what I should have taken the time to type.  "I have a lots-of-bang-for-the-buck performance car in which I can coast through that turn at 60+"
I very seldom go more than 5 mph over the speed limit in that car, because I don't want tickets and it's a cop-magnet, so I seldom get to enjoy the acceleration and speed that it can produce.  But I can legally enjoy its handling by going through sweeping corners faster than the average bear.  I make sure I'm not following closely behind anyone going into that exit lane, which I use driving home from work every day.  And it's a little bit of fun at the end of the day.
Except when Mr. Pickup Driver and his ilk intervene.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2018, 02:22:34 AM »
SPeed bumps.  I actually love speed bumps.  They take initiative.

Speed limit signs say”would you please?”  Course most people don’t.

Speed bumps say slow down or ruin your suspension.  We don’t care.
One of my youthful acts of defiance was removing the series of speed bumps that were installed on the road into our high school parking lot.  

This road was about two blocks long and it went from the access road in front of the school back to the lot.  I guess some cars had been guilty of gunning it so they put in about four of these things, and they were the really annoying kind - pretty high ridged.  Very unpopular.

So one night four of us took them out.  Since they’re just asphalt on top of asphalt it turns out that if you place an axe under the end of the bump and hit it with a sledgehammer that bump will just peel up and off kind of like a pancake when it’s done.  

It took about 5-10 whacks per speed bump, and it was off and there were four of us to dump the remains off to the side of the road.  All told it took us only about a half hour to do them all.

Next school day it was such a pleasure just to come streaming into school on that unfettered road.

We never told anyone we did this.  At my 30 year reunion someone asked the question on the reunion www site - who took out the speed bumps?  No one knew.  And they still don’t.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:27:17 AM by CousinFreddie »

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2018, 11:07:44 AM »
SPeed bumps.  I actually love speed bumps.  They take initiative.

Speed limit signs say”would you please?”  Course most people don’t.
Speed limit signs give warning of an event (ticket) that has a 0.5% chance of happening at any given time.

Most speed bumps however give no signage beforehand.  Not only do they take initiative, they expect you to know better, without warning.  Speed bumps are heartless bastages.

If you fly into the roof, or jack up your suspension hitting a speed bump while flying through a parking lot, then the speed bump says you'd should have known better you reckless asswipe.

Speed bumps... mean suckers.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:09:16 AM by BrownCounty »

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2018, 04:19:52 PM »
Color me sad that nobody gave me hell for my reciprocal offhanded humble brag.  
I guess I should've mentioned a 1964 Aston Martin instead of a 19 year old girlfriend, but it would've been less true.   I don't own an 1964 Aston Martin but I have lots of 19 year old girlfriends.   
Well... more or less.   
It's all about my teen-aged sons and their blurry boundaries.  
You see, they borrow my possessions and they expect me to help care for their pets and bail them out of all of the little jams caused by their irresponsibility, so if my possessions are theirs and their responsibilities are mine, I figure their all of their cute little girlfriends who hang around my house must be mine too.
Heck, I feed them.
And I figure I can think that all I want - just as long as I never tell my wife... or my sons... or - heaven forbid - the girls themselves.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2018, 04:40:52 PM »
I don't own an 1964 Aston Martin but I have lots of 19 year old girlfriends.  

Well... more or less.
Either way I would be happy for you, but if you truly do have 19 year-old girlfriends, I would be better off not knowing.
I'm quite content with my simple, humble existence these days, and I don't need that to be challenged.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2018, 07:45:04 PM »

And I figure I can think that all I want - just as long as I never tell my wife... or my sons... or - heaven forbid - the girls themselves.
or the girl's parents
I think your secret is safe here
it is with me

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2018, 07:59:22 PM »
I guess I should've mentioned a 1964 Aston Martin instead of a 19 year old girlfriend, but it would've been less true.   I don't own an 1964 Aston Martin but I have lots of 19 year old girlfriends.  
Well... more or less.  
You see, they borrow my possessions and they expect me to help care for their pets and bail them out of all of the little jams caused by their irresponsibility, so if my possessions are theirs and their responsibilities are mine, I figure their all of their cute little girlfriends who hang around my house must be mine too.
Heck, I feed them.
Well, I was also sad that no one gave me a hard time for my youthful act of defiance (making the streets around my high school safe for the underbodies of speeding cars, as it were), particularly that after nearly 40 years, it's still a general secret that I've only told you all.  But all I got was ... crickets.
Anywho, that's an interesting wrinkle, primo, about all your sons' gfs being a part of your collective "stable", at least in a fantasy kind of way.  As I was reading your post though, I thought of my brother and his three daughters, and how he'd viewed their bf's coming around, even as he fed them, as anything but part of his stable.  The view was more like the house is being circled by wolves!! and he needed to find some wolf-spray, or maybe even build an electric fence.
I don't envy anyone being the father of daughter(s).

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2018, 08:13:35 PM »
I guess I should've mentioned a 1964 Aston Martin instead of a 19 year old girlfriend, but it would've been less true.   I don't own an 1964 Aston Martin but I have lots of 19 year old girlfriends.  
Well... more or less.  
Heck, I feed them.
I didn't want to go there.  I had some clever question typed in, and then removed it before posting.  A rare instance of thinking first, clicking on the POST button second.

Anyway, today was a man-bites-dog story.  I swept into the downhill exit ramp with what looked like clear sailing ahead, only to have to slow down for a pickup that had had to slow down for some Toyota-ish-looking sedan.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 08:16:32 PM by CWSooner »

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.