header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: You Know What I Hate....?

(Read 82722 times)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: You Know What I Hate....?
« Reply #532 on: July 17, 2018, 06:37:16 PM »
As the world changed post 9/11 some folks expressed concerns about Big Brother watching too much, knowing too much, seeing too much.

You know who the paranoid really ought to be worried about?  Our little friend Google.

Google knows where we are, what we like, what computer or device we’ve ever looked at, who else has used the same device, what we’ve ever searched for.  They even know our passwords.

You look at a Toyota Tundra, they’ll inundate you Tundra ads until you’re sick of Tundras.

You look up something confidentially like... I don’t know... dick warts or Japanese girls in nothing but socks... and it’ll wait until your boss or wife asks you to research something and while they’re looking over your shoulder it will autofinish your search for dietitians as dick warts and your search for java as Japanese girls in nothing but socks.

If Google ever decided to really make our lives miserable we would be DOOMED.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 06:40:00 PM by CharleyHorse46 »

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #533 on: July 17, 2018, 07:07:15 PM »
Wait a minute.  Did you just haiku?
Why yes I did
Nothing gets by you
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #534 on: July 17, 2018, 11:43:22 PM »
dick warts or Japanese girls in nothing but socks..

I prefer the latter
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #535 on: July 18, 2018, 09:15:53 AM »
As the world changed post 9/11 some folks expressed concerns about Big Brother watching too much, knowing too much, seeing too much.

I'm not sure how it changed.  People helped each other and went to church for 2 weeks and that was about it.  Today we're more feisty, ornery and spoiled than ever.

If Google ever decided to really make our lives miserable we would be DOOMED.

I think they're biding their time.  A generation from now, we will be amazed at what people are being hauled into the slammer for.  Not to mention what society considers perfectly acceptable.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #536 on: July 19, 2018, 12:10:56 PM »
I'm about a page late, but there are plenty other ways besides war in which people can mature.  

Though that's one way.....I guess.  I've known guys who went to war who were jackasses when they left and jackasses when they came back, so I don't know that it's a viable means to maturation after all.  Maybe the generations who previously "grew up" faster/better just happened to be involved in wars, and correlation =/= causation.  

To Droog's point about anybody being able to make music these days, you're correct.  It's easier than ever and your barrier to entry is less than ever.  Assuming anybody ever hears what you make.  My favorite kind of music is not going to be less prevalent however, no matter how many people want to make it, because to a large degree it's not getting made without a budget.  I don't care how much technology you have, a single person is highly unlikely to come up with the kind of intricate tracks I miss.  It was primarily a group effort, and an effort of people who often went to school to learn their craft.  

It'd be a bit like saying engineering tools and software is better than ever, so anybody can design things from their PC that could never have happened 40 years ago.  Well, no...not without an engineering degree they probably won't.  Joe Average is not going to get himself some slick software and design the next marvel without some education.  

I was reading an article going around the internet a few months ago about how Guitar Center is restructuring their debt for the 3rd (I think) time in X number of years.  It detailed why a once successful business no longer makes money.  The hard facts are that people--mainly young people--aren't buying instruments anymore.  The speculation comes in when determining why that is.  Sources in the article pinned it on the lack of heroes these days, unlike days gone by when posters abounded on bedroom walls of Hendrix, Clapton, Eddie Van Halen and the like.  They claimed popular music's move away from live instrumentation, coupled with lack of marketing and image associated with the drying up of record companies created a culture where teenagers don't idolize musicians the way they used to.  Supposedly it all leads to kids not bugging their parents to go get them a bass guitar and an amp that can shake their neighbors walls.  I dunno.  Sounds plausible, but I only see the effect, I don't claim to know the cause.  

There are still people who are master's at their craft--less than there used to be--and I wonder how they make their living.  Are there less ways to be successful now but still X number of careers available and they happen to have them?  Is there still room for everybody, and anybody who becomes good enough will attract paying customers?  I wish I knew how these people make their living.  It's fine to talk about people who will make their music whether anybody is paying them or listening to them or not.  It's another thing to realize that in the real world, you're only going to reach certain levels if music is what you do, not a hobby you dick around with after your real job, and you're going to have to find a way to pay your bills.  I actually hear people, occasionally, complain about the quality of musician available to listen to these days, and these same people are the ones who complain about having to pay anything to hear them, and by God if they loved it then why should they get paid for it, and if they loved it they'd do it whether they were getting paid or not.  I wonder if they'd go to their job 8 hours a day for free.  I'm thinking probably not.  How much you enjoy something is irrelevant.  If you're going to be a high-level musician, you're going to WORK for it.  

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #537 on: July 19, 2018, 01:17:04 PM »
**upon google search, looks like my bank does not have Zelle launched at this time. Seriously, what's so hard about people taking out cash these days?    But noooo, people expect me to do all the legwork to get tickets (on presale, at that), and then want me to figure out some new system to take their money?   How about no, maybe I'll find someone who wants your ticket for straight cash instea

Our parent company is one of the banks that launched/own Zelle.  I find it to be wonderful.  Yes, I like cash, but paying the sitter/nanny, the cleaning lady,  piano teacher, etc. is so freaking simple, I don't even need to be there and more importantly to me, I don't need a separate app. or a separate account, nor is it a two step transaction like Venmo/PayPal.

side note:  why are people interested in using Venmo publicly as a social connection to others?   IMO it rivals Instagram in the  ultimate in social media vanity.

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #538 on: July 19, 2018, 01:30:04 PM »
**upon google search, looks like my bank does not have Zelle launched at this time. Seriously, what's so hard about people taking out cash these days?    But noooo, people expect me to do all the legwork to get tickets (on presale, at that), and then want me to figure out some new system to take their money?   How about no, maybe I'll find someone who wants your ticket for straight cash instea

Our parent company is one of the banks that launched/own Zelle.  I find it to be wonderful.  Yes, I like cash, but paying the sitter/nanny, the cleaning lady,  piano teacher, etc. is so freaking simple, I don't even need to be there and more importantly to me, I don't need a separate app. or a separate account, nor is it a two step transaction like Venmo/PayPal.

side note:  why are people interested in using Venmo publicly as a social connection to others?   IMO it rivals Instagram in the  ultimate in social media vanity.
Well I don't use Venmo for anything, either.   I do have Instagram but can assure most of my photos are of dogs, stuff I see in traffic, and concert photos.  Yes, I want to marvel at my wonderful life in picture form, so I have use for Insta in my semi-vain life but I'm okay with that.  I also get to see what all my favorite celebs, sports athletes, comedic writers, and photographers are up to, which I don't really get anywhere else, so it has that purpose in my life as well.  
So, speaking of Venmo, I'd make sure your stuff is set to private in the multiple-settings that are apparently not defaulted to private.  Saw this article and part of it was pretty funny, but also pretty annoying if you are someone who doesn't want your info shared any more than it likely has been already.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-scary-reasons-you-should-make-your-venmo-account-private-2018-07-17

"Another Venmo user she tracked sells food from a cart at a University of California campus. She could see more than 8,000 of the person’s public transactions over the course of the year, and saw that elote (a corn dish) was the most popular. One couple she followed frequently argued and threatened to break up through Venmo transactions, using feuding captions like, “You don’t love me,” and, “I’m waiting for the sugar daddy.”

Venmo’s public-by-default feature was the target of an investigation of the Federal Trade Commission, which accused Venmo in 2017 of “misleading” users about the fact that they needed to change two separate privacy settings to make their transactions completely private. The company reached a settlement with the FTC. A company spokesman previously told MarketWatch that users now have three options for controlling who can see their payments.
It should be easier to make these changes, Do Thi Duc said, and it is the responsibility of Venmo to fix these privacy issues rather than rely on users to change settings themselves."

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #539 on: July 19, 2018, 02:11:59 PM »

I'm so glad I didn't see this image when I was 5 years old.  I've been taunted for endless nights by much less than this.

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #540 on: July 19, 2018, 04:32:02 PM »
He's probably the Preacher from Children of the Corn.     He probably wishes his husker team was as fear-inducing as his face...   

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #541 on: July 20, 2018, 10:21:12 AM »
I just wish our D-linemen were that big
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #542 on: July 20, 2018, 10:36:53 AM »
 it aint about money from my vantage... Its about principle and legacy... And it's because fuck them, thats why.
That's so rock'n'roll.  Godspeed, Drew.  

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #543 on: July 20, 2018, 04:40:29 PM »
About 15 years ago, the missus and I bought a home and took out a mortgage.  About six years ago, we refinanced - not take out any equity but to lower our interest.

Last year our mortgage company sold our mortgage to some chippety-chump Texas-based mortgage company I had never heard of.  Since then that company has sent me two letters a week, four emails a week and about nine phone calls a week, asking me to "cash out" my equity and "live the good life."

They are relentless in their selling.

I suspect they're the devil and they must think I was born yesterday on a turnip truck.

I just wish they would leave me alone.  I'm trying to become debt-free.  Not indentured.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #544 on: July 20, 2018, 06:22:03 PM »
That's so rock'n'roll.  Godspeed, Drew.  
well... the proverbial hit the circular, i thought, Wednesday... turns out i was wrong... that didn't happen until today, but i reserve saying so until next week as i think it's not 'really' rollin' yet... or rockin'.  or rollin'... it's definitely 'rocking and rolling' and causing me, by default, to do the same... interesting times to be sure.  

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #545 on: July 20, 2018, 07:29:59 PM »
About 15 years ago, the missus and I bought a home and took out a mortgage.  About six years ago, we refinanced - not take out any equity but to lower our interest.

Last year our mortgage company sold our mortgage to some chippety-chump Texas-based mortgage company I had never heard of.  Since then that company has sent me two letters a week, four emails a week and about nine phone calls a week, asking me to "cash out" my equity and "live the good life."

They are relentless in their selling.

I suspect they're the devil and they must think I was born yesterday on a turnip truck.

I just wish they would leave me alone.  I'm trying to become debt-free.  Not indentured.

We made our last house payment last May
Debt free feels good
course now I get emailed twice a week from my bank offering an equity loan
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.